JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The range I belong to quit providing target bases that hold two firing strips for the target backing. They quit providing them because of inconsiderate, rude, selfish people that would lean things, (maybe shotgun clay targets?), up against them on the ground and end up destroying the bases. So I'm looking for something similar to these to get online.

I'm not in the mood to do the PVC pipe thing, at this point anyway. I'd like to hear from folks that have used these,and like, or hated them. Which ones are pieces of crap, and which ones worked okay, and the "Whys" of them being good/bad.

Thank you!

El cheapo, but they work well.

Have a bunch of the US ballistics one in the last pic. The one that takes both 2x4 & furring strips. Pretty decent. Does as intended, as I'd imagine any really would for cardboard.

Got those simply for the option to use 2x4's is all. However have not used them for 2x4's, as also have bases just for those, as most of our steel targets are heavier. Should be fine tho for lighter steel.

Windy, normally put something on the base. However have also used stakes when nothing reasonable handy.

Adding: I "think" amazon was cheaper than Midway when I got ours. However no idea now, particularly with the goings on with amazon & shipping essentials as a priority.

El cheapo, but they work well.

Am I missing something? Do you use those? I have to contend with some wind at times and that stand looks like it needs more/longer "feet". We do have an assortment of rocks that would get used to hold the stands down. The stands were made of an assortment of 1"x 6"s, 2" X 4"s, some with 2" X 6"s and still needed rocks at times.

Am I missing something? Do you use those? I have to contend with some wind at times and that stand looks like it needs more/longer "feet". We do have an assortment of rocks that would get used to hold the stands down. The stands were made of an assortment of 1"x 6"s, 2" X 4"s, some with 2" X 6"s and still needed rocks at times.
I swapped the bolts with eyed bolts. Then I stake them. Or you could just get longer bolts. Pretty solid set up for the money. They also have a small footprint so they travel well.

Have a bunch of the US ballistics one in the last pic. The one that takes both 2x4 & furring strips. Pretty decent. Does as intended, as I'd imagine any really would for cardboard.

Got those simply for the option to use 2x4's is all. However have not used them for 2x4's, as also have bases just for those, as most of our steel targets are heavier. Should be fine tho for lighter steel.

Windy, normally put something on the base. However have also used stakes when nothing reasonable handy.

Yeah, I kind of liked that one too. Not much more than the others, with the option of 2" X 4"s too. I'm needing these for punching paper only. I have steel and an appropriate base. I'm also looking to get more steel and appropriate bases in the future.

The bases I linked looked cheap, and the prices are somewhat cheap, IMO. I just didn't want to get something when I opened it see it was a real cheesy piece of crap. You know, set it up, put some weight on it, and instead of tipping in the wind it bends and folds?

I'd like to hear from folks that have used these,and like, or hated them. Which ones are pieces of crap, and which ones worked okay, and the "Whys" of them being good/bad.

Thank you!

I just bought the US Ballistics one off Midway.... Short answer is Id buy it again.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but feel its sturdy enough and will last a long time. The only thing I don't like about it is while its supposed to be adjustable width, the widest setting is the weakest setting and no wider than an IDPA target backer. In this setting only 1 of the width adjustment screws is used. It will hold, I just thought it coulda used an inch longer cross beams with another threaded hole. I don't see much use for any target backer narrower than an IDPA cardboard backer.
Note the holes in the legs to use stakes to nail down if windy out....

Call me a m'fer, but the signs "we buy houses", "Male ED meds" etc. stuck into random spots on the road are not legal. Same with political signs. These are the ones that have a plastic core board and 12 gauge galvanized wire frames. I stop and pick them up, shoot the heck out of them and then recycle when they are toast.
They seat into most anything but the rockiest soil.

Buddy used to buy the 3/8" rerod plant hangers that they sold at Freds when on sale. Excellent hangers for iron plates.

Yeah, I kind of liked that one too. Not much more than the others, with the option of 2" X 4"s too. I'm needing these for punching paper only. I have steel and an appropriate base. I'm also looking to get more steel and appropriate bases in the future.

The bases I linked looked cheap, and the prices are somewhat cheap, IMO. I just didn't want to get something when I opened it see it was a real cheesy piece of crap. You know, set it up, put some weight on it, and instead of tipping in the wind it bends and folds?

Yah, they're pretty decent. Won't ruin them falling over & such, least ways not with cardboard. Probably wouldn't even fall over with steel in the first place, but dunno honestly.

Scrap 2x4 1x2 and plastic corrugated sign board. Hold fine in high winds have lasted a few years, the corrugated plastic takes staples over and over. The bases are just drilled, 1x2 are a tight slip fit, staple on the corrugated plastic and staple on the targets.

20200321_115405.jpg 20200321_115516.jpg 20200321_115629.jpg 20200321_115747.jpg

If the ground is soft enough where you are, I like using T-posts. They are fairly inexpensive, free standing and you can hang/mount a variety of targets.

No, the range is on ground that is basically right next to a rock quary. I'd say 95/5% rock/dirt. :)

I just bought the US Ballistics one off Midway.... Short answer is Id buy it again.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but feel its sturdy enough and will last a long time. The only thing I don't like about it is while its supposed to be adjustable width, the widest setting is the weakest setting and no wider than an IDPA target backer. In this setting only 1 of the width adjustment screws is used. It will hold, I just thought it coulda used an inch longer cross beams with another threaded hole. I don't see much use for any target backer narrower than an IDPA cardboard backer.
Note the holes in the legs to use stakes to nail down if windy out....

Yeah, that's looking pretty good to me.

Call me a m'fer, but the signs "we buy houses", "Male ED meds" etc. stuck into random spots on the road are not legal. Same with political signs. These are the ones that have a plastic core board and 12 gauge galvanized wire frames. I stop and pick them up, shoot the heck out of them and then recycle when they are toast.
They seat into most anything but the rockiest soil.

Buddy used to buy the 3/8" rerod plant hangers that they sold at Freds when on sale. Excellent hangers for iron plates.

Now THAT is a great idea! That plastic corrugated stuff is spendy. Free sounds better, and I'd be doing a public service!
:D

I'm pretty happy with www.shootsteel.com. I've got two of their bases, standard and extended along with the 2x4 hybrid base.
I'll check that out. Looks pretty good and I always have some 2' x 4's around.

With such a high fatality rate on target stands, I like to use cheap ones.:D

Yeah, no, those aren't going to go in the ground where I need them.

Scrap 2x4 1x2 and plastic corrugated sign board. Hold fine in high winds have lasted a few years, the corrugated plastic takes staples over and over. The bases are just drilled, 1x2 are a tight slip fit, staple on the corrugated plastic and staple on the targets.

View attachment 672585 View attachment 672587 View attachment 672588 View attachment 672589

That's an interesting idea. Hmm.

In continuing with my getto builds here my steel stands, please ignore the quality of my welding.... nice thing is the eyebolts hold the plate off center and create the perfect angle, also no more shot chains.

View attachment 672605 View attachment 672606 View attachment 672607 View attachment 672608 View attachment 672609

My welding, waaaaay back when I used to try, would look pretty bad too.

Good, solid bases that'll take 2x4's

View attachment 672681

That's similar to what the members of the range would make....That the turds continued to shoot to pieces.o_O I don't get it. It's an un-maned range with a gate and members have keys. It's 100 yard or so up the hill from the gate. It doesn't make sense that enough non-members went up and destroyed the bases in a few weeks time. But it really doesn't make sense members would do it either. Especially after being notified by email the the stands were not going to be replaced if they got shot up.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top