JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just checked the expander back in the doe and it's measuring at .219 so I'll haveto replace that
It also doesn't hurt to keep the expander clean and polished. I do mine about once a year with some flitz. I find it provides a nice even feel during expansion and takes less pressure. I can tell when it's time to clean and polish. Since I started using a progressive press earlier this year I've noticed that cleaner well adjusted dies are that much more desirable with like 5 operations going on at once.

I have the LNL progressive. I only use it for pistol loading.

With that said I do know the ins and outs of the machine.

My thoughts on the pictures are as follows. With a few questions to start.

Do you know if the prior owner installed a belling die to the powder flow? Hornady sells belling pass through inserts to save a space on the progressive. IE you would be belling the pistol case and charging it with powder at the same time. This would royally F up a rifle case if used with it.

The powder charge should have zero resistance. IE when running this station only. The case should go up and into the station, activate the lever on the powder flow, and right back down. There should not be any resistance. If there is resistance, it is not set up correctly, the insert is too low and it would force the case to, well, get smooshed.

If you are not noticing the case before you place a bullet into it. Your in need of some better eyeballs. Unless you have an automatic bullet feeder installed and your not paying attention. Either way. You should still run each section one at a time to properly set them up. You would definitely notice a problem with your powder charge station if you did this.

If it is not the powder station. Than something is not set up correctly at the bullet seating station. This is again something that should be easily noticed of each station was set up on at a time.

Moral of the story here. Take one piece of brass. Run it though each step of the progressive one at a time. Ensuring each step has proper results. Then go full blown apepoop mode.

Just remember to keep an eye out on your powder availability. Ask me how I know what a squib load is?

I had the same problem with 30-06 and found the problem was my powder drop tube was flaring in my neck after I had resized the case and when trying to press the bullet in it would crush the case. I switched to using powder thru expander tubes on all of my shells and have never had this problem again. I do still have a problem with using stick powders catching in the up motion while dumping powder into the powder sleeve.

I can affirm this, the powder drop actuator is too low, there should be 3 different inserts that came with it originally. If it's set too low, you will have exactly what your picture looks like happened, I did the same thing when i was setting up mine.

that being said..
Dropping stick (extruded, like varget, imr 4759, etc..) powder with the Hornady drum is not very consistent, I went to the Lee powder drum since most of my dies are Lee and it's been much more precise . I have heard of folks dropping some graphite in the Hornady and wiping it out to help with the clogging issue.

I did get all 3 inserts but using the stop and spring and with a 30-06 shell I could not adjust my actuator up high enough and just the weight of lifting the powder drop it would taper in the top edge of the shell neck the way the taper is around the outside, again the thru expander seemed to work with no other problems. I have them adjusted so that they are barely going into the neck since I have already resized and decapped all my shells so I can clean them better. I have never tried the Lee powder drop and it may be better. I have managed to work with mine by just pushing lightly with my thumb as I'm in my up stroke in case one of the powder sticks gets caught as it closes. I also put a ground wire on my press that seemed to help also with static electricity. I really wasn't sure if that would help but I have not had any problems with the powder sticking since. I thought about cleaning the sharp edges of the powder cylinder but I was afraid it may make it worse for the stick powder to get caught as its closing. With the sharp edge it seems to cut the powder if it gets caught with slight thumb push. I agree we should not have to do it that way! I have no problem at all with ball powder.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top