JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know you can get surplus ammo for it, but 7.62x25 seems to fit that. Obsolete as all get out yet strangely cool.

The 7.62x25 is really a pretty cool round. It's essentially the oldest automatic handgun cartridge. It was based on the earlier 7.63 Mauser, which was based on the earlier 7.65 Borchardt, the very first successful automatic handgun. All three cartridges are practically identical (dimensionally, just loaded successively hotter).

38 S&W also sometimes called 38 S&W short. I have a top-break revolver in this from the late 19th century.

9mm Glissenti. Beretta's first semi-auto is chambered in this.

Actually, .38 S&W has remained fairly popular overseas.
In WWII, The british Enfield No.2 revolver fired a round known as a ".38/200" or .380 Mk.I.
This was (originally) the S&W round with a big 200 gr. bullet.
After the war broke out, it was deemed that the 200 gr. lead bullet might contravene the rules laid down by the Hague Convention, so a 180 gr. FMJ was developed. This is known as the .380 Mk.II, and still uses the same S&W case.
According to Wiki, this round is still loaded and used by the Ordinance Board of India for use in revolvers.
A few years back, the Chinese developed a revolver for law enforcement use, by members that weren't necessarily Patrolmen. They needed something simple to operate and maintain, and they needed it to fire an effective round.
The gun is also known as the Norinco NP-216 and fires the .38 S&W round, although using the standard 146 gr. bullet, as well as a rubber bullet for crowd control purposes.
Buffalo Bore and Remington both still load for the round.
So while the .38 S&W may have pretty much faded from sight here in the US, its still considered a viable round in the rest of the world.

Dean

Last Edited:
7.62X38R is as hippstery as it gets.

Screenshot_20180711-120241_Instagram.jpg

I'm honestly surprised this thread has gone 9 pages.

We all know hipsters don't shoot.

Thread should be relabeled, "Calibers hipsters would shoot, if they shot."

Could correlate with, "Guns hipsters would own, before they were cool, if they actually owned guns."

I'll start, with 40s&w losing its followers and in a solid state of decline.

I'd say if hipsters owned and shot guns, they would own a revolver in 40s&w because it's the dumbest combination I can think of, and they would think it was unique and hip.

I'm honestly surprised this thread has gone 9 pages.

We all know hipsters don't shoot.

Thread should be relabeled, "Calibers hipsters would shoot, if they shot."

Could correlate with, "Guns hipsters would own, before they were cool, if they actually owned guns."

I'll start, with 40s&w losing its followers and in a solid state of decline.

I'd say if hipsters owned and shot guns, they would own a revolver in 40s&w because it's the dumbest combination I can think of, and they would think it was unique and hip.

I for one am deeply, deeply, offended by this post. It correctly refers to re-labeling the thread. I have no problem with original labeling, nor with relabeling.... BUT

I actually own a .40 S&W revolver! A Charter Arms Pitbull. I actually like it. It is a five shot gun. I bought it thinking it might be a perfect back up to my son's then service .40 at the time. Well when it arrived I realized it was no J-frame. It is a large frame with a Fat five shot cylinder (The 45 ACP version is fatter, and the 9MM skinnier!...don't ask me how I know) My 40 version shoots well, but is it hard to eject the spent rounds and slow to re-load. It is not suitable for a speed loader as it has spring loaded Rim catchers in each cylinder hole (Technical term), that catch and hold the round in place. You have to wiggle each round in place. (May have been designed by someone fond of Hula dancing). Anyway not a gunfighting gun after five rounds. It is great for five though and sits on my night stand, loaded.

With regard to .40 S&W round, I had used my only .40 S&W (Walther PPX) in a two day course using it and I was just Ho Hum about the results. Accurate, strong (really punched through that paper with vigor!) but the trigger or action made me understand why it was a sub $300 gun. Good reliable, it now defends a downstairs commode.

Since then I found a XD40 SC that made me fall in love with .40 S&W, then a XDS 40 followed. This year (2018) I added two more .40's and a .357 Sig (which you probably don't like either) all those are XD versions, and now I am waiting on a HK USP40. I guess I like more powder.

I find .40 shoots flatter and more accurately for me. I now shoot 170 grain hardball for practice and 165 grain Gold Dot or HST for carry, but I have a lot of !80 grain and some oddball stuff too. I found, during the great Ammo Drought that you could always buy 40, but not always 9 MM or 45 ACP.

I was never fond of 40 I used it for that course due to unavailability of enough 124 Grain 9 MM for me and the Warden. So she got the priority and I made do. Made me get a better gun in .40, and now I like it. Kind of like 'Mikey' and 'Life' cereal.

I, Sir, defend 40 S&W.

For a useless round I vote .400 Corbon
.45 ACP necked down to .40 cal.
Very fast and recoils hard enough to crack a 1911 frame.

My fave oddball round is .22TCM
No recoil to speak of but
Loud and with a giant fireball of a muzzle flash
It's really a hoot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show