JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see magnetic latches, RFID cards, &tc. Why not catch up with the times?
"ALEXA - Open AK-47 shelf!" ATI AK-47 sm.jpg :rolleyes:

I am ignorant to what this is...so what are you talking about?
Looking for a way to use the Amazon Echo device (Alexa) to vocally unlock and open a drop-down shelf to expose a firearm for quick access. The existing methods require something like a card with an RFID implant to unlock and release the hidden shelf or a magnet (which could be in a vase or coaster, etc. sitting on the shelf) to slide near the latch to do the job.
Hooking your router or LAN up to the lock would allow you to access your defense weapon by simply saying, "Alexa (the name of the Echo persona) - open my firearm storage" as your are getting up out of your rocking chair and the shelf would be open by the time you reach it. No card or magnet required.
I have an Echo which my daughter bought me a couple of Christmas' ago and I use it for more and more purposes every day. It works great! All the way from music, turning appliances on or off - even setting the microwave oven.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...n&sprefix=echo+alex,aps,263&crid=Y3Q6J6TMBBIW

I have an ongoing dual with my wife. I un plug it and she replugs it. The other day I was telling her that my Eddie Bauer jeans had finally worn out. An hour later Eddie Bauer emailed me a coupon. Anyone who thinks that Alexa was built and sold to be anything other than an LP is drinking the Kool Aid.

It's in no way paranoia or wierd conspiracy.
Also beware Bluetooth automatic connections in stores on your phone. Lots of companies are using the tech to track you in stores and market you appropriately based on your movement and time spent in certain areas.
Alexa and Siri are also constantly transcribing conversations to "improve" their voice analytics, "learn your preferences" and patterns, and be able to offer you "suggestions".
Although individual employees may not be able to pick out you specificity, all that info is analyzed.
I worked for the cable co for many years. With addressable boxes, we were able to send specific ads to your home based on analytics determined by viewing habits.
Example, if the programs you watch made you out to be a family with young kids, when a Ford ad slot played, you might see mini van, where another house would get an F150, while a single would get a Mustang. Hell, even different TVs in the same house could be identified. Your wife who watches in one room might see something different than you in another. BTW, you name your boxes too, right ;)

#1. That YouTube video is fabricated. Alexa does not answer those questions that way. How do I know? My Echo responded to the questions as they were played on my speakers during the video. Not the same.
#2. To put it as simply as I can . . . I don't care who or what "tracks" me nor listens to me snoring. I do't give a rat's patootie if they think I like Olympia or Coors. I might be lying when I'm talking. I might be lying right now. Alexa might lie to me. The whole durn internet might be. It makes no difference.
Have a nice day! :s0047:

I think Smoke is on to something here and pairing this with a device like Alexa would be very cool. They have dead bolts that remotely lock and unlock by using an app on your phone or Alexa.

Why couldn't this be done by a similar device to Alexa that does not connect to the internet and has no capability of recording, it could be built into the gun shelf and run on batteries.

Of course we all know that a rotary dial lock is the only good way to store a firearm.
:rolleyes:

I would enjoy having family or friends over and shouting RELEASE THE CRACKEN then a AR folds down out of the shelf behind me...

I'd buy one.

You're onto something there, Spike! I was thinking more like an 8 round capacity Rem 1100 loaded with 00 shot, but the AR would work, too. No need for Alexa in your scenario. :s0038:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top