JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the risk of going on ad nauseum, buying a modern semi-auto pistol for $600, adding another barrel for $100, a holster for $60, shooting the hell out of it for 2 years and selling the ball of wax for $1500 involved no loss of logic.

For those who believe, "Those are the exceptions!", or "You just got lucky!", or "You probably camp out at the door before gun shows open!", there is only ONE thing each of these guns have in common (and the reason I brought them forward as examples for fellow Members):

All four of those guns I located in the classifieds on this website.

Or you buy firearms and don't ever sell them. Just watch them go up in value. Granted some of my firearms have been hanging around for 40 years. A few have increased in value 10 times over. Others maybe only 25% and a few are still sitting around trying to decide what they are worth.

I know one thing that has become very obvious to me. Almost without fail every firearm I sold in the past is now worth enough to be very difficult to replace.

Case in point the beautiful almost perfect condition Smith Corona 03-A3 I traded a couple hand made knives for and sold for $175.00 cash to pay the electric bill. Anyone want to venture what that rifle would cost to replace now? Last one I saw was over $1000.00. I don't sell firearms anymore.

Where else can I buy a new item, use it often for 10 years and sell it for more than I paid for it!
My enjoyment and use is a tangible thing that goes into the investment. If I had rented a gun every time I wanted to shoot, just look at the savings... DR

THOSE guns were money down the drain at the initial purchase. Drawing from that a generality toward all guns is best defined as a quantum leap of logic.

But then again, I sure appreciate the number of people who think that way. :cool:
I bought a Shield 9mm back when PSA was basically giving them away, plus the S&W rebate. It's been a while, but I believe I paid under $200 including shipping and transfer.

I bought a Shield 9mm back when PSA was basically giving them away, plus the S&W rebate. It's been a while, but I believe I paid under $200 including shipping and transfer.
A normal index fund that $200 grows to $800 in 14 years every time, not a cherry picked outlier of a given gat.

Vintage 1970's Colt Python 15 years ago, paid $500 for it, look at the going price for a good original one today, yea, poor investment on my part!
Original M-1855 SN-426, paid $2500 4 years ago, today it's added a zero to the end, yea, not a great investment! :s0155:

Your Sarcasm isn't lost on me! ;)

Vintage 1970's Colt Python 15 years ago, paid $500 for it, look at the going price for a good original one today, yea, poor investment on my part!
Original M-1855 SN-426, paid $2500 4 years ago, today it's added a zero to the end, yea, not a great investment! :s0155:

Your Sarcasm isn't lost on me! ;)
I don't believe anyone has denied that some firearms appreciate greatly and that there are never any possibilities of making money on a specific firearm. 🤣

Trying to twist it that way by pointing out that rare opportunities/exceptions exist in no way negates the fact that "generally speaking"... the overly vast majority of firearms will "not" appreciate in value over the standard annual living expense increase. The question really becomes.... say you bought 20 firearms in one year... 5 years ago. If one of them greatly appreciated and the other 19 you lost money on (aka., buying power)... are you still + or - on your overall "investment"(?)

"For investment purposes" means... the net profit/loss must exceed the gross value invested. It's certainly possible, and even likely if you educate yourself and only make well researched investment purchases. Being diligent to find deals from folks that don't realize the actual value of what they have being a contributing factor as well. Not forgetting of course that you also have to consider the cost of your time, effort and other subsequent costs into your gross investment value, hu.

Is that true for you're average Joe that wants to justify his common shotgun/rifle/handgun collection purchases as... "Well, it's a good investment"(?) Which... if I recall... was the questions being asked that started this whole "guns for investment purposes?" discussion... right!👍

I don't believe anyone has denied that some firearms appreciate greatly and that there are never any possibilities of making money on a specific firearm. 🤣

Trying to twist it that way by pointing out that rare opportunities/exceptions exist in no way negates the fact that "generally speaking"... the overly vast majority of firearms will "not" appreciate in value over the standard annual living expense increase. The question really becomes.... say you bought 20 firearms in one year... 5 years ago. If one of them greatly appreciated and the other 19 you lost money on (aka., buying power)... are you still + or - on your overall "investment"(?)

"For investment purposes" means... the net profit/loss must exceed the gross value invested. It's certainly possible, and even likely if you educate yourself and only make well researched investment purchases. Being diligent to find deals from folks that don't realize the actual value of what they have being a contributing factor as well. Not forgetting of course that you also have to consider the cost of your time, effort and other subsequent costs into your gross investment value, hu.

Is that true for you're average Joe that wants to justify his common shotgun/rifle/handgun collection purchases as... "Well, it's a good investment"(?) Which... if I recall... was the questions being asked that started this whole "guns for investment purposes?" discussion... right!👍
How many threads contain the same discussion, is my question.

Just consider the amount of money lost as a rental fee for the time you got to use or own it.
Absolutely true. It's always better to own than rent. Invest in yourself!!

It's not always about making money, but maximizing the value of your $ and minimizing loss. Stuffing your money in someone else's pocket and retaining zero value... that can't end well. ;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top