Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

here is another one 7/18/09

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by pokerace, Jul 16, 2009.

1. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

what is going on with all of these auctions?

http://www.garygermer.com/[/URL]

2. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

3. pokerace

thanks

4. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

These auctions are fun, but unless you are bidding on something pretty obscure that no one else really wants, you are very unlikely to find a bargain. Consider this:

1. Auctions are structured to ensure over-valuation. That's because some people will value the item correctly, some will over-estimate its value (or value it more highly for personal reasons), and some will under-estimate its value. Those who over-estimate (or just plain get carried away, which is it's own problem in auctions) always win any competitive auction.

2. The buyer's premium. Ouch. 10-12 % of what you bid.

3. The transfer fees. Like buying from any FFL, rather than FTF.

4. The seller's reserve. A minimum winning bid, set by the seller or auctioneer, ensures that you won't get a smoking deal just because no one else bids.

But I love 'em. I might be at both the one in Boring and the one in NW PDX this weekend just to watch the show. :D

5. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Auctions are fun and I always register, but seldom bid anymore..most of the time you can beat auction prices on CL. but they don't sell guns, so see you all Sunday. :D

6. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

Hey Pokerface, thank's for alerting us to these! Otherwise I would never know of these auctions!.....................elsullo :thumbup:

7. elsullo

I just called the auction site (Fri. PM) and learned that there is no air-conditioning........................ They will open doors for a cross-breeze, but there is not much wind today......................... I don't think I can face it!.......................elsullo :(

8. pokerace

Pokerface

spelling,spelling and reading

9. elsullo

I blame it on the HEAT!...................elsullo ;)