JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think Henry hit a wide swath of check boxes with this.
Yep - I agree ! And one thing I like Henry did was to make the magwell/adapter fit cleaner and not protrude so much as the Ruger does. Also it appears the mag fits more snugly in it (unlike the Ruger) where it is somewhat loose and flops back and forth. A piece of Velcro (the fuzzy part) on the mag where it seats in the magwell fixed this.

Personally, I wouldn't want little semi-pointy bullets lined up, bullet to primer, in a tubular magazine.

I know a 9mm does not generate much recoil, but other factors could jar a rifle enough to chance primer detonation by a bullet pressed up against it.
If the lever gun is mag-fed this would not be an issue.

If the lever gun is mag-fed this would not be an issue.
Yes you're correct. But when I consider Henry firearms chambered in handgun cartridges, I only consider a tubular lever action. Since Tombstone has created a pcc, lever, mag-fed rifle, I suppose Henry could do the same thing.

Count me out.

Last Edited:
Lol, they outrugered ruger.
How so? Not an argument, but a discussion.

Ruger made the same thing 20+ years ago, but with a synthetic stock. Dealers wouldn't stock them, so they didn't sell. Ruger stopped making them.

20 years later, they created the PCC we now know, but with a takedown feature. The biggest difference is the marketing. The original Police Carbine was marketed to police. They said no. The modern PCC is marketed to the rest of us, and has gained much wider acceptance.

Personally, I wouldn't want little semi-pointy bullets lined up, bullet to primer, in a tubular magazine.

I know a 9mm does not generate much recoil, but other factors could jar a rifle enough to chance primer detonation by a bullet pressed up against it.
I think this is why and people are stuck with a vertical mag, which looks wrong on a lever gun. see the tombstone for an example.

and that is why I figured they havnt made one as it would be a possibility of it happening. Most likely their lawyers saw it as a possibility also or maybe just their engineers/designers. Even if you stipulated to use flat nose like 40 or Hornady critical defense type there is always that one idiot.......

and that is why I figured they havnt made one as it would be a possibility of it happening. Most likely their lawyers saw it as a possibility also or maybe just their engineers/designers. Even if you stipulated to use flat nose like 40 or Hornady critical defense type there is always that one idiot.......
Don't forget there is/was the possibility of this happening ever since tube fed guns have been made.

NOW - factory ammo made specifically for tube fed guns has normally been loaded only with flat point bullets to negate this however there has been some factory 30-30 ammo with round nose bullets that do not look much diff from say RN 9mm bullets, and are still considered OK in a tube feed HOWEVER; in today's 'climate' I agree, and you could be right on the lawyer/legal aspect of it.

I do not own a Desert Eagle (nor do I really want to), but lever guns in .357 Mag, .44 Mag, and .50AE that take Desert Eagle mags would be pretty awesome.

And one in 10mm that takes Glock mags, because why not.

Don't forget there is/was the possibility of this happening ever since tube fed guns have been made.

NOW - factory ammo made specifically for tube fed guns has normally been loaded only with flat point bullets to negate this however there has been some factory 30-30 ammo with round nose bullets that do not look much diff from say RN 9mm bullets, and are still considered OK in a tube feed HOWEVER; in today's 'climate' I agree, and you could be right on the lawyer/legal aspect of it.
Actually, there's a little more to this. I've shot .30-30 for a lot of years. And I've reloaded many .30-30 cartridges.

The flat nose .30-30 bullet is a relatively newer design. For many years, up until Federal started loading these, most .30-30 bullets were a round-nose with exposed lead, or exposed lead hollow point. The exposed lead is much softer than the primer, so it's the lead that gets upset, without igniting the primer. When hunting, and carrying these round-nose bullets in the magazine, when I'd unload the magazine, each bullet tip was deformed from the primer or edge of the primer pocket, leaving the primer print on the bullet. Better to deform the exposed lead than to deform the primer. It's because of this discussion, when I reloaded .30-30, I loaded only flat-point soft point bullets. And it's because of this discussion also... I particularly like .357 lever guns with tubular magazines. I only load exposed lead bullets for these guns. Designed to also shoot .38 Special, and with so many .38's now available in FMJ, I hope folks realize they could also be setting themselves up for a tube detonation by using FMJ or ball ammo.

Another thing I've noticed, rimmed, bottle-necked cartridges do not rest in perfect alignment in a tube magazine. Pivoting on the rim, the case beyond the rim angles down while it rests in the magazine. So, the bullet seldom is in perfect alignment with the next primer. As I mentioned earlier, primers make their mark on an exposed lead bullet. There can be a crescent-shaped mark on the bullet tip, where half the bullet tip faced the primer, the other half faced the base of the case. This not an excuse to ignore the chance of the bullet tip finding its way centered on the primer. During recoil, the cartridges go amuck in the magazine, and they can still find their way centered. And that's why I still use exposed lead, flat points.

P1050760.JPG P1050763.JPG

Last Edited:
Actually, there's a little more to this. I've shot .30-30 for a lot of years. And I've reloaded many .30-30 cartridges.

The flat nose .30-30 bullet is a relatively newer design. For many years, up until Federal started loading these, most .30-30 bullets were a round-nose with exposed lead, or exposed lead hollow point. The exposed lead is much softer than the primer, so it's the lead that gets upset, without igniting the primer. When hunting, and carrying these round-nose bullets in the magazine, when I'd unload the magazine, each bullet tip was deformed from the primer, leaving the primer print on the bullet. Better to deform the exposed lead than to deform the primer. And it's because of this discussion also... I particularly like .357 lever guns with tubular magazines. I only load exposed lead bullets for these guns. Designed to also shoot .38 Special, and with so many .38's now available in FMJ, I hope folks realize they could also be setting themselves up for a tube detonation by using FMJ or ball ammo.
exposed lead or crater like hollow points for me. if the primer fits in the hollow point I am good to go.

Winchester's initial load for the .30 W.C.F featured a 160 grain metal patched bullet (RN-FMJ) loaded to a velocity of 1960fps from the M94's 24" barrel.
======================

In the 1970's, I knew one subsistence hunter who used 30-30 FMJ RN in his 94 Winchester for deer. He claimed it was more reliable than soft points.

30-30-full-patch.JPG

Bruce

Last Edited:
So what chambering is next ?
My Internet Guess is 45ACP
Then 10mm Auto
Maybe the 10mm. Some years ago, I had a Ruger PC4 in .40 S&W. But I don't see that coming back, what with the relative decline in popularity of the cartridge these days.

The PC4 used regular Ruger P-series auto pistol magazines, which were easy to come by.

Carbines in auto pistol cartridges seem like a novel idea on the surface, but in my own reality, they got stale rather quickly. I burned out on .30 US Carbines decades ago, and my romance with the PC4 was not long lasting. Like a date with a hot but dull girl. It was thrilling, briefly, but quickly gotten over.

Those urban guerilla warfare types who envision the need for a lot of suppressed shooting will like the Henry 9mm carbine. I'll stick with the AR if that scenario comes up.

In my own opinion, the 10mm Auto has more potential for utility in carbine form. Moreso than a 9mm. But the 9mm is more widespread so there is that.

Another over priced blowback pcc
Yes, they do get a lot of money for this kind of thing, don't they?

Hornady makes those Leverrevolution bullets now with soft polymer tips which address this situation. They come in .308, .357, .44, .45 and maybe some I've missed. They seem like a good idea.

Seems to me that a pump version would be an easy step from the semi
Assuming many gun owners continue to sit on their hands they will some day just say no more semi auto. If that happens it will open a market for others and the pump would be a great option. The only problem with them right now is price. They are quite expensive mainly because so few are made. Manufacturing would not be as cheap as making the simple blow back made now but, if they wanted to mass produce some the price would go way down once they got rolling.

Assuming many gun owners continue to sit on their hands they will some day just say no more semi auto. If that happens it will open a market for others and the pump would be a great option. The only problem with them right now is price. They are quite expensive mainly because so few are made. Manufacturing would not be as cheap as making the simple blow back made now but, if they wanted to mass produce some the price would go way down once they got rolling.
Back when the assault weapons ban existed, we got unique things.

1674075430087.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top