Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Help with .45 ACP

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by LibertyFF, Feb 23, 2011.

1. LibertyFF

LibertyFF Northwest New Member

I just reloaded my first batch (40) of .45 only to realize that I roll crimped them instead of taper crimped. I have since re-adjusted the die and all is well. I took the rounds that were roll crimed and cycled them through my 1911 and they cycled ok, not all were smooth but didn't really require any extra force either. I randomly selected several to measure the diameter at the crimp and they were all right around .474.

With all that said, will the roll crimp create too much pressure to shoot these safely? I don't mind disassembling them, just don't want to waste my time if it's not necessary.

Thanks

2. chainsaw

chainsaw East side of Or. Active Member

Shoot 'em!

3. saread

saread Bothell, WA Member

Yeah, shoot 'em.

4. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

shoot, and would recommend a taper crimp for 45 acp

5. LibertyFF

Thanks guys, and yes I have readjusted the die for a taper crimp.

LibertyFF

6. Pepe-lepew

Pepe-lepew Mid Valley Active Member

Your die only taper crimps, you over taper crimped them. If you taper crimp them too much they will not head space off the case mouth and it deforms the bullet.

7. nrc

nrc Oregon Member

Not necessarily true. My Hornady 45ACP set shipped with both and roll crimp die.

You are absolutely correct, that an excessive taper crimp can deform a bullet. I'm only saying that the OP could have been correct.

8. LibertyFF

nrc is right, I do have the Hornady dies. I shot the rounds on Saturday and they worked fine. Thanks for all the replies!

LibertyFF