JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am......ahem......looking for a diamond ring (engagement) and I am absolutely baffled. I can't drive it, shoot it, eat it or live in it and not sure how to deal in this area.

I have gone to stores and been on line and there is a huge HUGE difference in price for the same ranking of diamond. For those of you who have been right where I am..I am looking to you for help/guidance and direction

any advice is appreciated to include those that say DONT DO IT.

1. Gather a large sum of money that you previously would have spent on firearms.

2. Give the large sum of money to a busty woman behind the jewelry counter. Easy to pick the jeweler...just look for the type of store that would normal repulse you. That's the one! Bigger is better in this case, no matter what you hear!

3. Present ring in a manner that will make her melt.

4. Hero status obtained!

Well you said any advice including don't do it, so here you go; and absolutely correct: RUN.

Like Bill Hicks said, "I love you, you love me - what could be better? I know let's get the government in on this ...."

There is absolutely no advantage to a man getting married unless you are dead set wanting to pump out carbon copies of yourself (have brats).

Last edited by a moderator:
STOP!!! You need time to think!!! Is this Woman cool with your guns?! Does she go shooting with you?! Would she be mad if you went shooting without her?! Does she think you need more ammo?! If yes, shes a keeper!

As for your question, cant help you, it's been years since i priced one.

Best of luck to you two!!!

Lefty.

yes lefty.

she said this to me five months ago when we woke up one morning (when I met her she had no interest in guns)

I woke up one morning and put my arms around her and she said, "I love that" I said, in a loving voice, "Why do I make you feel safe?"..she said no, "your guns make me feel safe".....I knew then we had something.

The best method, if you MUST purchase a rock, is to have a friend, and I do mean friend, not acquaintance, in the jewelry business, and a certified gemologist is better yet.
Color, Clarity, Carats- in that order.

Some people buy a big stone with krap in it that some joker told them is ' character '.

Proper setting is what will show off the stone.

Just buy a ring with her Birth stone, doesnt have to be a diamond. If she expects a huge diamond to gauge your affection dump her NOW. You can always add diamonds later or a set of side bands. Just think about spending all that money on a rock and she loses it somehow (they can come out). Just use the money to start your wedding plans, honeymoon, down payement on a house etc.

Just remember that as long as it'd big, clear, and has no visible flaws: you're fine.
Anything in the colorless range, VS1 or VS2 for flaws, and is at least .50 in size should make her happy. If she whips out a jewelers loop and checks it out... run.

When it comes to diamonds and rings, my motto is, "Quality before quantity". Honestly, if she is the girl you think she is she will appreciate and cherish the rock that you choose for her. With that said, take your time and good luck!

Diamonds are one of the world's biggest scams. The industry is controlled by DeBears (spelling?) and the artificially keep the prices high by keeping supply out of the market. They have huge vaults in England(if I remember correctly) where that excess inventory is dumped.
When the Soviet Union was falling apart they were really scared that the diamonds from there would flood the rest of the world and they would lose control. Obviously they have not.

Diamonds are not that rare compared to other stones. Amber for instance is a lot more rare than a diamond.

Short years or months for now the advice given to you by the well meaning people above will be inconsequential. Save my above post/video, watch it two years from now, as the one piece of advice you ignored at great expense. I repeat, run.

Married people are like a strict cult. They are under the thumb of another and miserable, get no sex, nothing but misery - however - their purpose in life is to get any acquaintance or friend to join up also. They want to spread the virus. Put on a bio-hazard suit, look down at your feet and say 'feet do your thing' ... and run.

A complete stranger is trying to save your life here!!! :)

If you are in your early 20s and crazy enough to be considering marriage (people change BIG TIME early 20s to 30s) then tune in this guy, he'll help you out; http://www.blowmeuptom.com/

When you are free, follow the dating rules.

$40.00 Limit - Never spend then $40 no a date. >>
3 Dates Rule - Stop seeing the girl if you do not get laid after the third date. >>
No Means No - If she says no then, STOP, get your stuff, and leave. >>
Single Mothers - Never date single mothers. >>
Tabasco Sauce - After having sex pour Tabasco sauce into the used condom. >>
Co-worker Relationships - Never date a co-worker. >>
Approaching Women in Groups - Never approach a woman in a club that's surrounded by her girlfriends. >>
Sex To Go - No spooning, cuddling, and or staying over after sex. >>
Relationships - Do not get into a serious relationship before the age of 25. >>
Weekend Dates - Do not go out on weekend dates unless you are guaranteed sex. >>
Cell Phone Dates - If your dates cell phone rings during the date then immediately leave. >>
Women in Bars - Sit at a bar alone and do not talk to any women. >>
After Hours Homely Pickings - The ugly women are the last one's to get picked up. >>
Birth Control - Regardless of what a woman says always use birth control. >>
No Gifts - No gifts are ever given to booty calls and women you are dating. >>
Beverage Consumption - Buy Hard Alcohol over Beer. >>
Types of Dates - Avoid lunch and or coffee dates. >>
Jerks - If women think you are a jerk, then your doing something right. >>
Master Filibusters - Do directly from the bar the bedroom. >>
Eating Before Dates - Have a hearty meal before a date. >>
Marriage Contract - Never marry with out a prenuptial agreement. >>
You Choose the date - You choose what to do on the date. >>
Income and Women - The amount of income you have often determines the type of women you get. >>
Male Friends - All her male friends want to have sex with her. >>
No Sex At Your House - Never bring a woman home for sex. >>
No Compliments - Never compliment a woman. >>
Easily Replaceable - Have her know that if she does not put out then you will get it else where. >>
Holidays - Break up with your women during those money sucking holiday seasons. >>
Change is not Inevitable - Do not change who you are just for a woman. >>
Prepare your Identity - Be the doctor she wants or the million she's looking for. >>
Power Before Kids and Marriage - Men have the most power before kids and a family. >>
Paternity Test - Always get a paternity test no matter how sure you are that it is your child. >>
No DNA Donation - Never help a women you have no intention of marring have kids. >>
Women Are Dream Killers - They want to reach their dreams and stop yours. >>
Ultimatum, Run - If a women gives you an ultimatum then run and don't look back. >>
Giving and Getting Phone Numbers - Give your number out to as many women as possible. >>
Women on Vacation - Your women's on vacation and she maybe sleeping with other guys. >>
Don't Move In With Girlfriend - Do not move in with your girlfriend. >>
Don't Call Her Back - Don't call her back after the date. >>

Yeah mine told me what I wanted to hear too.

I'm divorced now. My house isn't clean, my food isn't good and I get almost no sex, so nothings changed in those areas. But it's nice and peaceful!! I hated being single, then I got married, now I LOVE being single.

Ask yourself why women love expensive, useless things. It's not the thing itself, it's that she got you to spend your money on her.

How do you make a woman very angry at everyone? Give her everything shes ever wanted. No challenges, nothing to manipulate over, no fun.

I'm 19 and she's a single stay at home mom 22 with two kids from two different dads - we're soul-mates.

actually we're both mid 40's. I've never been married because I do know better, but this one is different and yes I know we're all bags of chemistry and we all change. If I had to take a calculated risk - this is the one worth taking.

nevertheless thanks for the pointers and do you know what the diff is between a clarity enhance diamond and one that is not?

Short years or months for now the advice given to you by the well meaning people above will be inconsequential. Save my above post/video, watch it two years from now, as the one piece of advice you ignored at great expense. I repeat, run.

Married people are like a strict cult. They are under the thumb of another and miserable, get no sex, nothing but misery - however - their purpose in life is to get any acquaintance or friend to join up also. They want to spread the virus. Put on a bio-hazard suit, look down at your feet and say 'feet do your thing' ... and run.

A complete stranger is trying to save your life here!!! :)

If you are in your early 20s and crazy enough to be considering marriage (people change BIG TIME early 20s to 30s) then tune in this guy, he'll help you out; The Tom Leykis Show | Live Weekdays at 6PM Eastern, 3PM Pacific!

When you are free, follow the dating rules.

$40.00 Limit - Never spend then $40 no a date. >>
3 Dates Rule - Stop seeing the girl if you do not get laid after the third date. >>
No Means No - If she says no then, STOP, get your stuff, and leave. >>
Single Mothers - Never date single mothers. >>
Tabasco Sauce - After having sex pour Tabasco sauce into the used condom. >>
Co-worker Relationships - Never date a co-worker. >>
Approaching Women in Groups - Never approach a woman in a club that's surrounded by her girlfriends. >>
Sex To Go - No spooning, cuddling, and or staying over after sex. >>
Relationships - Do not get into a serious relationship before the age of 25. >>
Weekend Dates - Do not go out on weekend dates unless you are guaranteed sex. >>
Cell Phone Dates - If your dates cell phone rings during the date then immediately leave. >>
Women in Bars - Sit at a bar alone and do not talk to any women. >>
After Hours Homely Pickings - The ugly women are the last one's to get picked up. >>
Birth Control - Regardless of what a woman says always use birth control. >>
No Gifts - No gifts are ever given to booty calls and women you are dating. >>
Beverage Consumption - Buy Hard Alcohol over Beer. >>
Types of Dates - Avoid lunch and or coffee dates. >>
Jerks - If women think you are a jerk, then your doing something right. >>
Master Filibusters - Do directly from the bar the bedroom. >>
Eating Before Dates - Have a hearty meal before a date. >>
Marriage Contract - Never marry with out a prenuptial agreement. >>
You Choose the date - You choose what to do on the date. >>
Income and Women - The amount of income you have often determines the type of women you get. >>
Male Friends - All her male friends want to have sex with her. >>
No Sex At Your House - Never bring a woman home for sex. >>
No Compliments - Never compliment a woman. >>
Easily Replaceable - Have her know that if she does not put out then you will get it else where. >>
Holidays - Break up with your women during those money sucking holiday seasons. >>
Change is not Inevitable - Do not change who you are just for a woman. >>
Prepare your Identity - Be the doctor she wants or the million she's looking for. >>
Power Before Kids and Marriage - Men have the most power before kids and a family. >>
Paternity Test - Always get a paternity test no matter how sure you are that it is your child. >>
No DNA Donation - Never help a women you have no intention of marring have kids. >>
Women Are Dream Killers - They want to reach their dreams and stop yours. >>
Ultimatum, Run - If a women gives you an ultimatum then run and don't look back. >>
Giving and Getting Phone Numbers - Give your number out to as many women as possible. >>
Women on Vacation - Your women's on vacation and she maybe sleeping with other guys. >>
Don't Move In With Girlfriend - Do not move in with your girlfriend. >>
Don't Call Her Back - Don't call her back after the date. >>

Give her a loop of string and say "they cant put a price on our love"

BUT in all seriousness, check out bluenile.com, its THE largest online diamond seller, with millions in diamond inventory. There you can customize your ring, select the diamond carat, clarity, color, and cut, as well as choose the setting, solitaire, 3 stone, fancy stuff.

ITS NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP, the best route with the ring is to keep it simple and classy, which ultimately eases the pressure on your gun fund
When looking at the stone, I think cut is one of the most important factors, it affects the refraction(?) which ultimately effects the brilliance and beauty.Dont skimp here, get the IDEAL cut.
Color is going to be simple, E and D are both colorless and are the best, if your on a budget, G and F would work fine.
Carat is the size of the diamond and what everybody looks at, but in my opinion is not the most important, quality over quantity right? But more importantly a massive rock might attract unwanted attention.
Clarity in my opinion is the least important (least important doesnt mean not important), as it is very difficult to discern FL and VVS2 while the 2.5x price difference is not.

A perfect diamond is going to be 10x cheaper than that of rubbish one, (i.e. 3k vs 30k for a 1carat diamond)
.5 carat f color vvs2 ideal will run you around 2 grand and a classic 6 prong platinum solitaire setting would be 500 ish.

BUTTTTT if she really doesnt care about the ring, you could always get here a moissanite with her consent. Moissanite is LIKE a diamond but isnt, it is a SiC silicon carbon i think. On the hardness scale it ranks at 9.7 (i think), and has a double refraction instead of a single one like diamond, and because of this is cut different. Its around 10x cheaper than that of a comparable diamond.

more info about the 4cs if you want em...

I have been married for 27 years to the same lady and at this point it is one of the best things I have ever done. She has put up with the good and the bad during those 27 years. I cannot imagine anyhing worse than being in a bad relationship but I also feel that there are very few things better than waking up beside the one you care about. I support marriage and wish you luck in the endeavor.

The rule of thumb has always been one months wages is roughly what a wedding ring should cost. Remember the ring you put on her hand will be looked at everyday for the time that you are married. My recommendation is not to cheap this one out. I have not looked for a wedding ring in the last 28 years so I am no help to you there.

If you do decide to get married -by the time of the ceremony you will already be married - the ceremony is only the acknowledgement to your freinds, family, and the law of what you two already know.

These are my thoughts do with them as you will.

James Ruby

I have an old family friend who is a 3rd generation jeweler, he owns a shop in Woodburn. When I got married, I looked online a lot to learn about diamonds, and I went into his shop to ask him some questions. When I was asking all the technical questions about the diamonds he was showing me, he told me something that I think is very valuable when shopping for this.

He said, "You can look at clarity, color, etc... all day long, but it is actually looking at the diamond when you know you have a beautiful stone."

I thought about that and it really made sense. During my search I went to discount diamond places, pawn shops, online stores, and never saw a stone anything like the one he showed me, it was superior in every way. I went back to his shop when it was time and walked out with my beautiful engagement ring for my wife.

Personally, I would not buy a diamond that I have not inspected myself personally, because even with all the ratings of diamonds, the beauty is really something you have to see in person.

Good luck with your purchase!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads