JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am about to embark on drastically reducing my gun collection. The reason being, as some of you already know, we are about to adopt a young child. I want to reduce my collection to the point where I can keep it all in one safe and keep that safe locked in my bedroom closet. Right now the guns are in multiple safes in a room off the garage. It turns out the state is touchy about things kept in the garage or garage like rooms. They do not consider them secure enough since they are technically outside the home. It is not just guns either. An old set of gold clubs also has to go.

Here comes the fun part. I am trying to decide which guns to keep and which guns to sell. I am going to keep a few long guns and about 15-20 handguns. All in all about 20-30 guns will be going bye-bye. Help me decide which ones go and which ones stay.

I do fully intend to rebuild my collection someday when the boy is older.

I have decided that some guns are definite keepers because they might be hard to replace later or because they serve a definite need currently (like CCW). Those are...

1. Colt Anaconda 4" .44mag
2. Colt Python 4" .357mag
3. Rohrbaugh R9s 9mm
4. Glock 33 w/Lone Wolf Slide .357sig
5. Sig P229 Elite Stainless .40S&W
6. Smith & Wesson m640 (pre-lock) .357mag
7. H&K USPc w/stainless slide .40S&W
8. Seecamp LWS380 .380acp
9. Sig P220 Carry Elite Stainless .45acp
10. Detonics MC1 .45acp
11. Smith & Wesson m66 (no-dash all stainless 1st run) .357mag
12. Colt Combat Commander (stainless) .45acp
13. Colt Officers Model (stainless) .45acp
14. Kahr MK40 Elite '03 .40S&W
15. Kahr PM40 .40S&W

Pics of all the ones I am keeping can be seen by clicking .

SOme guns I know I will be selling, but the ones listed below are ones that I am on the fence about. I will probably keep at least two of them and sell the rest. Which two would you keep? Are there any on this list you would keep in lieu of one of the ones on my "keepers" list in addition to the two?

1. Smith & Wesson m60 (no-dash, pre-lock) .38spl
2. Smith & Wesson m649-2 (pre-lock) .38spl
3. Colt Combat Commander XSE .45acp
4. Colt King Cobra 4" .357mag
5. Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail 10mm
6. Glock 29 10mm
7. Kahr K40 Elite '98 .40S&W
8. Spingfield Loaded Ultra-Compact .45acp
9. Sig P232 (stainless) .380acp
10. Smith & Wesson m60-14 (unfluted cylinder) .357mag
11. Detonics MK VI 9mm
12. Smith & Wesson m686 Pro-Series .357mag

Pics of all the ones on the block can be seen by clicking .

I'd keep:

7. Kahr K40 Elite '98 .40S&W
8. Springfield Loaded Ultra-Compact .45acp

They aren't real high dollar and wouldn't cost much to keep, but they sure have a purpose and do it well.

I have plenty of room in my safe and I would be happy to let you store any unneeded firearms in it free of charge ......as long as I get to shoot them as much as I want!:p

One the one hand...its a raw deal that the state is being so uptight about your guns when you are simply trying to provide a loving home for a child who needs one.

On the other hand...your "problem" is that you simply lack room in your safe to store your extensive collection of beautiful, high-quality firearms. I'm trying to be compassionate...I'm trying to be sympathetic to your plight...I'm trying to feel sorry for you....I guess I will just have to keep trying.:eek:

Your "get rid of pile" is more impressive than my entire collection! :s0155:

I would keep the Colt Combat Commander XSE and the Spingfield Loaded Ultra-Compact and the Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail 10mm. I really couldn't narrow it down to just two!

Children are a huge sacrifice. I commend you on your choice to give up what is near and dear to you for the opportunity to change the life a child that really needs the stability of a home and family that cares about them. Kudos!

I keep getting a lot of e-mails telling me to not sell anything. While I can appreciate where people are coming from when they say to net sell anything at all, that is just not an option right now. I made a deal with our case worker and I intend to live up to my end of it. Selling the guns will mean that there is no mention of them on our homestudy. Failing to sell them or giving the impression we have just temporarily placed them off sight will result in the guns being listed as a "concern" on our homestudy. It will not legal prevent us from adopting but it could slow the process down considerably and cost us our first choices of children. Anytime the committee that decides placement of a child sees a concern listed on the homestudy they tend to move on to the next candidate. We do not want to take that risk. I can manage to live with only 20 handguns but I do not want to live without a son. :)

Children are a huge sacrifice. I commend you on your choice to give up what is near and dear to you for the opportunity to change the life a child that really needs the stability of a home and family that cares about them. Kudos!
Thanks. For once we are in complete agreement...I am quite wonderful. :s0114: :D :winkkiss:

I am almost tempted to take back that mean remark I made about you today in the S&W Bodyguard thread...almost, but not quite. :D

You collection is amazing. Congrats on the adoption, becoming a father was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I have no advice for you, maybe do some random coin flips to see what you keep!

I can see your reasoning for most of the keepers, the only 2 I have questions on are the Sigs. Being very similar, what's your reason for keeping both? I can understand the Colts as they're becoming scarce and the Kahrs as one is collectible and the other is a great carry gun. Most of the others on the list I can agree with on being essential.

On the chopping block, I myself would reconsider 4. Colt King Cobra 4" .357mag. I know it's very similar to the Python but as I said before the Colts are getting somewhat scarce and I think it'd be a smart one to hang on to, even if it just ends up as trade fodder later on. I was going to originally question why you're keeping the Rohrbaugh R9s but I remembered you posting about it and you seemed quite happy with it so I can see why you'd want to keep it.

Other than the Colt, nothing on the chopping block list really jumps out and me and screams "keep me!" Goodluck in your endeavors into parenthood, I think you'll make a great Daddy :)

Not sure I understand why owning 20 handguns is somehow better in the eyes of your case worker than owning 30 or more, maybe build more shelves/ hangers in one safe? Regardless, I would keep the CBOB, and anything else you think you might regret someday. That would be most of them for me.

Not sure why the case worker even needs to know how many guns you have and why that is a reason not to grant the adoption. No laws being broke, sound a little like big brother is holding you hostage. Just keep them all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top