JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure why the case worker even needs to know how many guns you have and why that is a reason not to grant the adoption. No laws being broke, sound a little like big brother is holding you hostage. Just keep them all.
Like our friend that went through the process already told us..."You do not have to understand how or why they do things. You just have to work with it and keep smiling."

In that case, the safes in the garage like room are full of gold bullion, not guns!

Yes, that is what I want to do...lie to the case worker. Then the first time they catch me in that lie (like when they ask to inspect the safes) I go to the bottom of the pile for an adoption. Also, the process can take up to 3 years to complete. They do regular inspections throughout the entire process.

I'd hate to get rid of any of those guns, but I'd suggest keeping the DW Bobtail 10MM and the Detonics 9MM (maybe I'm in a metric kind of mood today). Both nice guns, a little unusual & not duplicative of other items you plan to keep.

Not sure how things work in Oregon, but when we were looking at doing foster care (which also has a bunch of requirements) we worked with a case worker from a private (non-profit) agency. She was easy to work with & flexible in her interpretation of requirements. If this is an option, you may want to "shop around" for a case worker. Good luck.

Not sure how things work in Oregon, but when we were looking at doing foster care (which also has a bunch of requirements) we worked with a case worker from a private (non-profit) agency. She was easy to work with & flexible in her interpretation of requirements. If this is an option, you may want to "shop around" for a case worker. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Hope this isnt crossing the line here as its your call not ours, but this sounds like good advice to me. No need to lie about anything if your not doing anything wrong. Being viewed as an unfit parent for not putting up with a case workers political BS shouldnt dis-qualify you from anything. Your not on probabtion for some law you broke for crying out loud.
The system must really suck if they would rather keep kids out of good homes over irrelevent things like how many legally owned firearms somebody owns.

Good luck PlayboyPenguin. I want to remind you of something that I bet you already know. Even if you sell most of your guns and keep a few. There are people who will still think you are a bad guy just because you own 1 gun.

My advice is to keep what you want. Heck keep all of them if you want. Owning a firearm doesn't make you a bad man. It is what you do that can make a man a bad man.

Good luck in whatever direction you go. And hopefully you will make alot less mistakes at being a dad them most of us here.

Being viewed as an unfit parent for not putting up with a case workers political BS shouldnt dis-qualify you from anything. Your not on probabtion for some law you broke for crying out loud.
The system must really suck if they would rather keep kids out of good homes over irrelevent things like how many legally owned firearms somebody owns.

My point exactly!

I would keep the Model 60 and the King Cobra. Maybe the Elite 98 as well.

The other revolvers and most of the autos are common enough to be more easily replaced in kind down the road. The three I suggest may not be so easy.

If it were me (and I would never be in the situation you are in right now with a fine collection like that) I would keep the Colt King Cobra and the Detonics 9MM. If you're rebuilding the collection someday those would be the hardest two guns to find again.

Don't know if they still give the MMPI and CPI for adoption screening any more, but if they do, have fun with those.

I would think in terms of consolidating calibers. I'm down to 3 major calibers= 9mm, 38spc./357, & 45acp! I mean, I do have a few 44mags, & there's that one 454, not to mention my 50ae,oh yeah almost forgot the makorov, oh well never mind.

I would sell the amount needed to make what your case worker calls limited amount of firearms to a family member, without your last name and get a reciept for the purchase, When the dust settles buy them back on your agreement with the family member. Problem solved ! Dont sell any to a unknown buyer. Oneday you will need them for college.

I'd keep the DW Bobtail10.. Rumor is CZ is discontinuing the Bobtails. Also keep the pre lock S&Ws.. Both will be difficult to find later.. The Kahrs you may like but would be easy to replace later.. I'm assuming later is like 15-20 years when the child is an adult and has moved from the nest. Best of luck to you.

Keep these two: That would be my choice for a nice afternoon at the range.

4. Colt King Cobra 4" .357mag
12. Smith & Wesson m686 Pro-Series .357mag

Thanks to everyone for their input and good wishes in this thread and for the ones via e-mail and PM.

From the list of ones up for sale I have decided to keep the S&W Pro Series 686 SSR and the Kahr K40 Elite '98. The 686SSR is simply one of the best revolvers I have ever shot and I just love steel Kahr pistols.

I am going to miss some of these guns but I feel it will be worth it. You can bet your *** that every time this kid acts up I will be showing him a pic of these guns I had to part with to get him. :D :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top