JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've asked local, just keep getting told about a biker bar down by State Line. Not what I'm looking for.

I have a Vltor MUR receiver that came to me with a tan finish over the black factory anodizing. I've soaked it (for days) in MEK, soaked it in some old paint remover (think it was fairly dead) both have softened small sections enough to scrape some off with a plastic scrapper. I don't know for sure what the finish is, suspect Cerakote. I am hoping I can strip this back to the anodized finish as so far it is in good condition. I have no intention of throwing it in my blast cabinet.

Any ideas before I give up on this and just take my loose dollars down to State Line? :s0132::s0059:

Walmart carburetor cleaner is a pretty badass stripper for most things. Cheap too. Don't get it on anything painted or plastic you value.
Or you can just go to The Acropolis here in town.

Have you tried Citrus Strip? Or soaking in the cheap drain cleaner you'd find at the dollar store? I've used both recently for varied finish removal projects, and they both take painted on finishes off pretty well.

I find laquer thinner to be one of the best all around paint and coating removal agents. Mine is an old can that is predominantly toluene. You might want to try that too. Nasty stuff.
When I first got in the Coast Guard in '85, my boss showed me how washing in toluene would take all that paint right off my hands lickety split.......I'm sure that didn't help my odds of not getting some kind of cancer.... :)

I used Powder Blast to remove several layers of paint from a pistol. It worked great.

97B861FD-ADA2-4FA0-BCED-FFB88B5186AD.jpeg

Gunkote and cerakote are extremely different to remove.

An abrasive will likely be needed, which will likely also remove the anodization.

Probably be best just having it cerakoted a second time in a more favorable color.

Walmart carburetor cleaner is a pretty badass stripper for most things. Cheap too. Don't get it on anything painted or plastic you value.
Or you can just go to The Acropolis here in town.

Does Acropolis still have the killer steak and Frye lunch for 3.50 ? Or do they still have it as all ? Dang that was good

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top