Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Have you ever disowned a family member?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Modeler, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Have you? Do/did you regret doing it?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Yup.
    Nope.

I disowned two actually. Both were my siblings, and I miss neither.
    And apparently they don't miss me, as they haven't tried to make contact either.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
  3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I have also.. also twice at least. Sometimes it's the only/proper thing to do.

ChristmasTree likes this.
  4. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

Yup, tough love...............Regret? Nope, they now have been "clean n' sober" for 6 years and are welcome anytime....:)

Riot likes this.
  5. Modeler

That doesn't sound like disowning, at least not as I'm considering it. In this particular circumstance the family member in question has had 18 years to get it right and never has. Disowning is forever.

6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Disowned both a sibling and my inlaws.

Two of the best decisions I've made. Some people are just toxic and I won't keep people like that in my life - relative or not.

It's also been two of the hardest decisions... They are family after all.

mjbskwim and ChristmasTree like this.
  7. Qaolin

Qaolin 1 A.U. from a G2 near Beaverton Old Army Cook Silver Supporter

One cousin threatened to shoot me. I'd call that cause for no longer in contact.

8. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Yup...my father.
    Never regretted it.
    In fact that is why I like facebook. Whenever you start to forget why you hate someone they remind you on facebook.

9. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I disowned a wife as soon as I learned she was trolling on christiansingles.com.

Does that count?

gallogiro and gunfreak like this.
  10. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

Yup - not a single regreat. 30+ years of being lied to, being treated like dog crap for the last 2+ years of having contact with them, finally to be accused of **** I didn't do - I told them what they could do with themselves and haven't spoken, written, or given a damn about them in over 2 years. I don't speak with half of my "blood" family because of these people, and it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit. My family was never one to be considered close - and honestly most of them are f-ups of one sort or another - substance abusers, wife abusers, or inmates of one correctional facility or another, they're not the types of folks I care to associate with or have my son around anyway.

Life is too short to deal with bubblegums or stupid people. Sometimes it just takes a while to learn that lesson.

11. Modeler

That's pretty much where I'm at. My brother casually disowned him years ago (stopped talking to him but never said things were through) but I've hung on hoping for more. It's been 18 years since he left my mother for his current wife and just now at 34 years old I finally got up the courage to ask him to explain his actions and why he was never there for me after my 16th birthday.

Apparently it's all my fault, the way I reacted to him leaving and moving far away to be with another woman.... Or so he says. I can't do it anymore. I need to move on.

I have the e-mail written, but I haven't sent it yet. It feels like he's dying, and in a way he is. I will never have a father again.

12. Certaindeaf

You don't have to send a letter or "explain" yourself.. you could/can just do it by not doing it.

13. Modeler

I thought about that, but it seems open-ended and disingenuous on my part. It seems like the kind thing to do is give him closure.

14. Certaindeaf

It sounds like you've "gave" enough. either way

ChristmasTree and Modeler like this.
  15. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

Modeler, I appreciate your desire to give closure, I just hope you don't think you owe it to him. I have no respect, and little use for my dad. Seeing him more than a few times a year puts me in a funk that has a negative impact on those I chose to love. So in a sense I can relate. Have I actually disowned him? Not really. I guess to each his own, just make sure you are doing right by yourself. If you need to cut it off and for good, then I would encourage you to do so. One thing I have found is that there is your "father", and then there is a mentor. I have so many valued mentors, it's unbelievable. Try not to get too hung up on losing your father, especially since it sounds like he wasn't much of one anyway. Find some older, wiser men and pick their brains. It has changed my world for the better.

P.S. Didn't mean to get preachy, it's just a sensitive topic to me. Good luck with whatever you decide sir!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
    mjbskwim and ChristmasTree like this.
  16. Modeler

Thanks Kibs. It might give him closure, or it might not. But sending the e-mail will give me closure, and that's what I'm really after.

mjbskwim and kibs45 like this.
  17. Certaindeaf

Besides the couple family mentioned, long long ago (teens), I "disowned" most all my "peers"/ circle of friends.. I went my own way on and with purpose. Most all of them there have been dead for a long time now.

18. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

In my case it did take 20 years. Sounds like you've already made you mind up, go for it if you think it'll make you feel better........Hate in your heart only hurts the one that harbors it, I learned the hard way......That's why they call it "tough love" not tough hate..........

19. kibs45

kibs45 Portland Active Member

Good. Take care of yourself!

20. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

My extended family divided over money. They have said and done some pretty evil things for the love of it. I predict they will devour each other until there is nothing left. I have distanced myself from them, I want nothing from them or to do with them. They are dead inside, they are dead to me.