JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My cousin recently moved to Alabama for SERE and flight school. His birthday is coming up and I want to get him something that'll make his life a little easier. What are some items that I could get him that also won't break the bank?

A good field knife is always useful.
Something simple and basic is best...in the 5 - 7 1/2 inch blade length range.
Think along the lines of a K-BAR or the like.....
Below is mine...while I didn't have it at SERE school when I went....the story behind that is worth a different thread...:D
I did carry it all through my time in the Army..as well as 4 combat deployments.
It is a Blackjack Model 5
Andy

Andy,

I'll bet that blade has a few stories to tell as well. ;)
It does indeed...:)

I bought when I was home on leave right after Basic and Airborne School...and fixin' to head off to Ranger School.
We went to my dad's favorite gun shop...and I told the owner that I was looking for a Randall Model 1 knife...
Well after being told about wait times and whatnot...
The owner asked what I wanted it for...

I explained that I was in the Army home on leave fresh from Basic and Airborne etc...
And I wanted a field knife... that eventually I wanted to be assigned to a LRRP /LRSD unit
( Which I was.....:D )
Turns out the owner was a LRRP in Vietnam...attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade....
He sold me the knife at cost....

I carried it during my time in the Army..and through 4 combat deployments
( Panama , Desert Shield / Desert Storm , Bosnia and Somalia )
It worked very well as a field and combat knife...one that does indeed hold many memories....
As well as making more...since I still use it today as a hunting and camp knife.

To the OP...
Sorry for the "War Story"...
In any event...I stand by my statement that a good , stout , basic field knife is worth it's weight in gold to someone in the Army.
Andy

It does indeed...:)

I bought when I was home on leave right after Basic and Airborne School...and fixin' to head off to Ranger School.
We went to my dad's favorite gun shop...and I told the owner that I was looking for a Randall Model 1 knife...
Well after being told about wait times and whatnot...
The owner asked what I wanted it for...

I explained that I was in the Army home on leave fresh from Basic and Airborne etc...
And I wanted a field knife... that eventually I wanted to be assigned to a LRRP /LRSD unit
( Which I was.....:D )
Turns out the owner was a LRRP in Vietnam...attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade....
He sold me the knife at cost....

I carried it during my time in the Army..and through 4 combat deployments
( Panama , Desert Shield / Desert Storm , Bosnia and Somalia )
It worked very well as a field and combat knife...one that does indeed hold many memories....
As well as making more...since I still use it today as a hunting and camp knife.

To the OP...
Sorry for the "War Story"...
In any event...I stand by my statement that a good , stout , basic field knife is worth it's weight in gold to someone in the Army.
Andy
No need to apologize I enjoy the stories!

Not a fairy tale...but my favorite German proverb :

All skill is in vain when an angel pees in the touch hole of your musket .

Leave it to the Germans to have a proverb with a Angel...Pee...and a gun...not to forget "touch hole"... :D

Sorry for the thread drift.
Andy

Not a fairy tale...but my favorite German proverb :

All skill is in vain when an angel pees in the touch hole of your musket .

Leave it to the Germans to have a proverb with a Angel...Pee...and a gun...not to forget "touch hole"... :D

Sorry for the thread drift.
Andy
Holy bubblegum lol I hadn't heard that one before

I always like to gift a compass. It is a useful item (even if outdated by modern tech), and it is symbolic in that it can help you find your way back home.

Oh geez...that sounds so gushy
:rolleyes:__:oops:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews