JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Father in law gave me an old 20 ga. shotgun.

Haven't owned a shotgun for many years.

I'd like to just keep it in my truck, loaded but not chambered as I travel between Oregon & Washington?

Or unloaded with ammo near it or...

Familar with handguns & CCW, shotgun transport laws have been hard to find :s0153:

A shotgun is cumbersome and unwieldy. Hard to bring into action in a vehicle.
If you carry responsibility, you are aware of the situation all around you and seek ways to avoid confrontation.
Local Ordinances can bite you. You can be arrested for "public nuisance" for instance.
You will have to pay a lawyer to get un-stuck.
Give LEO a reason to feel warm and fuzzy during the encounter.
Case your shotgun separate from ammo.
Transport it as you would to go hunting.
Make it hard for a car prowl thief.
Install a lock or <broken link removed> .

When the country goes zombie, then unlock and load.

I agree with you Rick.
Conceal carry has been part of my daily routine for many years.
Shotgun would be worse case where my Wife and I had to abandon vehicle and make our way home on foot after we grab the Get Home Bag (which I'm putting together for her car as well)

Is Oregon transport law the same as Washington?

Thank you!

No, Oregon law is much different than Washington. Oregon law only imposes restrictions on handguns in vehicles. Both shotguns and rifles can be legally carried in your vehicle fully loaded and ready for use. If you had the shotgun in your trunk, then I really cannot foresee the police ever bothering you over it. If it was inside your vehicle and they spotted it, though, they could conceivably freak out, and they might then question you as to why you are driving around with a loaded shotgun.

Here is a link to the applicable Oregon law:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.220

We had a man in Springfield back in January pull a fully loaded AR-15 out of his vehicle and use it to gun down a man who he had come into conflict with while they were driving on the road. The police did not cite the man for having the fully loaded AR-15 in his vehicle. However, the investigation that followed determined that that the gun owner was guilty of road rage, and had no legal justification to gun down the unarmed elderly driver he killed.

He is now awaiting trial for murder.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...-of-road-rage-court-document-asserts.html.csp

It's not Oregon as a whole you have to watch out for, it's the individual municipalities. Say, Portland, for example. That is where the laws will get you into trouble, most of the state is "common sense" when it comes to carrying. Most... Maybe "much" would be better to say.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top