JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
These are the only Wolverines I've ever seen. Go Michigan State!

michigan_girls.jpg

1982 took my new wife to The Eagle Cap Wilderness area, and the area near Huckleberry Peak (mntn?) outside of Sumpter, Or to show her where I liked to Archery hunt. Came upon, or (it came upon us) a badger about 40' away. Looked grumpy as hell. I had been just joking with my wife about an old Daniel Boone story (probably miss-remembered) about him supposedly "grinnining" a bear. Being young and feeling invincible (stupid) I whispered to her " Don't move a muscle let's just Grin him/(her?)" We stood stock still and grinned from ear to ear staring at it. Don't know what went through it's mind, but it stared at us for the longest time, then turned and started to move away, but would stop every few feet and look back at us for a couple seconds to see if it really saw two stupid human smelling mannequins looking like fools. I told a local ODFW later that year about the encounter, he said one had not been seen around that area for many years, did not believe us. Fast forward to a few years ago, we saw a news story about the return of Wolverines to the area where they had not been seen for xxx years.... Anybody else ever "grinned" any critters?

Back circa 1970 I was startled by a book in the school library which had a great picture of a wolverine along with the note that if raised from a kit, they were readily domesticated as a pet. I've ever since thought having one could lead to an interesting situation if we were out for the evening and a burglar broke in. When seeing the wolverine, he'd probably think it was just a small/medium sized quiet dog. And we'd probably come home to a neat pile of his bones.

Are they domesticatable? They are the largest of the family of carnivores that include ferrets and skunks. I've had ferrets and a friend has had Taiwanese skunks so who knows? Anyone want to try and let us know?:eek:

You aint kidding Medic! We had Fox, and Skunk when i was a kid, most times they were just like a normal pet, but very now and then they got Wild and had to be banished for a little while! Fox are super smart, and it gets them in trouble, but they make great pets if you have the time to train them from Kits!:)

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top