JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is it just common that this cartridge dirties up brass? I'm loading 200 gr cast coated slugs. Using W 244 at 8 gr. which is on the upper end of Hodgeon data. 6.7gr-9.0gr.
I was wondering if maybe this Rossi M92 lever gun/20" barrel just had a generous chamber? There's a bunch of gasses staining the outside of my nice new Starline brass. It doesn't come off with walnut tumbling.

That's been my experience also; dirty brass. But my loads are similar to what you describe. I mainly have done plinking loads, a step up from Cowboy action type loads. I haven't personally loaded any that push the upper end of what's possible in the 45 Colt.

I do remember shooting my dad's blackhawk (or maybe super Blackhawk?) in 45 Colt with the 6.5" or 7.5" barrel years ago when I was high school or college age. He liked to load them hot, definitely higher pressure type loads. He had one load with around a 230 grain jacketed bullet with a big, open hollow point. Called them "the flying ashtray". Those things had some stomp, and would tear up a gallon water jug something fierce! I don't remember if the brass was dirty when ejecting them, but I do remember you felt some discomfort in the palm of your hand after emptying a cylinder full. Similar to a pretty warm/bordering hot 44 magnum load.

I'll have to ask him if he remembers what this load was and try to load up something similar, or see if he has any of these still around and give them a try. Not something I'd do in an old SAA, but I have a large frame vaquero and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 45 Colt; both of which I'd feel ok about shooting the spicier loads in.

Yes, I've found it very common, just always figured it was because it's typically such a low pressure round, and also modern brass is thicker. My R92 seems to dirty them up more, even with the spicier loads I usually shoot in that gun.

I have a plastic gallon sized bucket with a solution of water and Birchwood Casey brass cleaner I've been reusing for years. Prior to tumbling I give them just a 3 or 4 minute soak in there, rinse with hot water and let them dry a day. After that they clean up fine tumbled with cob and a little polish.

The "flying ashtray" was a Speer 200gr. JHP that came out in the '70s. It fed flawlessly through my 1911's, even with the very, very wide cavity.

I shot thousands. Man they would tear up a gallon jug of water or a jackrabbit!

The "flying ashtray" was a Speer 200gr. JHP that came out in the '70s. It fed flawlessly through my 1911's, even with the very, very wide cavity.

I shot thousands. Man they would tear up a gallon jug of water or a jackrabbit!
Yeah, I remember they were Speer. A little lighter than I noted above. They were fun!

I always loaded my 45 LC with 700-X, I upped the charge a bit, but it's still dirty. I ended up picking up some 244 since it was supposed to be cleaner, I think it might be. Long story short, don't switch to 700-X. I think I still have five or six pounds of it. Oops.

The "flying ashtray"

ytdMLuG.jpg

I'm no expert with .45 Colt but I've loaded it for years. My impressions. This is an older cartridge that was adapted from black powder. It has a large internal capacity. I think that it benefits from medium to slower powders. 244 is probably not the best choice, as it doesn't fill much internal capacity. Unique was a powder of choice for years; it's kind of a medium burning rate pistol powder but it's fluffy and takes up a lot of capacity in the case. .45 Colt also seems to do better with heavy bullets, like mid-200 gr. weights. I'm thinking here that the heavier bullet delays the ignition a little more, thus allowing the case to seal better.

I've used Trailboss in .45 Colt. It isn't a slower power but it filled the case well and didn't smoke it. However, on some brass it left some scorching that discolored the cases a bit.

When I have cases that are carboned up, yes, tumbling in walnut won't always clean if off completely. For these, I've used Iosso liquid case cleaner, which usually does the trick. It's a bit more work than tumbling.

The only thing I shoot .45 Colt in these days is a New England Firearms SB-1, the Survivor model with the .410 / .45 Colt barrel. It's like a longer version of the T/C Contender .410 / .45 Colt. In fact, NEF used T/C chokes and wrenches when they made these barrels. I have to confess, I've been thinking about getting another single action in .45 Colt. One of those justification things, "Well, I'm already loading it for the NEF, might as well get a wheel gun."

At present, I'm loading .45 Colt with a 328 gr. LFP bullet. There are no considerations as to overall cartridge length with the single shot NEF barrel. One load is 7.9 gr. Unique, another I've tried successfully uses 6.8 gr. of Herco. Use this data at your own risk.

I always loaded my 45 LC with 700-X, I upped the charge a bit, but it's still dirty. I ended up picking up some 244 since it was supposed to be cleaner, I think it might be. Long story short, don't switch to 700-X. I think I still have five or six pounds of it. Oops.
I laugh because I bought a jug of 700X when I first started loading. And I'd look in the book and see a powder that Bimart had and try it. I don't think I loaded a full box, because those large flakes were terrible in the RCBS powder measure. Sold it post haste!
I think that it benefits from medium to slower powders. 244 is probably not the best choice, as it doesn't fill much internal capacity. Unique was a powder of choice for years; it's kind of a medium burning rate pistol powder but it's fluffy and takes up a lot of capacity in the case. .45 Colt also seems to do better with heavy bullets, like mid-200 gr. weights. I'm thinking here that the heavier bullet delays the ignition a little more, thus allowing the case to seal better.
Agree with the 244. I picked that up as it was available. 'Nother thing, yes, the heavier bullet crossed my mind. That may be one of my faults, using bullets on the lighter side with wear and tear/recoil reduction on my mind. As far a unique goes? It's "Unique"! You can run it in just about everything can't you?
Being that this is a rifle I'm sure I could go max load/different powder without issue. I see the slower HS-6 shown with a max in the 11gr area. My books have data for both rifle and pistol. Pistol shows more faster powders, but I'd steer clear of those because of a 20" barrel. I have a bunch of HS-6 which is my 9mm and .40 go to powder. HS-6 works real clean in the 9mm and .40. I may try it in .45 colt and if it works well trade/sell the 244. But it still sounds like I'll just have to live with some dirty brass.
Thanks for the input guys.

If I had some money I would buy that from you. Believe it or not, when I feel like measuring every charge, my best accuracy load for my 38s is with 700 X and cast pills. I have 1 pound left I'm afraid to use it up, ha ha. I haven't seen it for a while and it's usually very cheap even by the pound.

I laugh because I bought a jug of 700X when I first started loading.
Years ago, my cousin gave me a 10 lb. cardboard drum of DuPont 700X. I knew I'd never use anywhere near that much so I sold it.

Agree with the 244. I picked that up as it was available.
I like 244, it's pretty versatile. I use it in 9mm loads up to about 135 gr. But there are better powders for 147's.

I love the 45 Colt round in my 8 3/8" S&W X Frame (chambered in 460). It feels like I'm plinking with 22lr. I'm one who wet tumbler brass so the dirty left behind isn't even a consideration. The 45 Colt isn't a hot rod cartridge so my loads are mild for "my pleasure" ;)

When I was shooting low power Cowboy Action loads, they would leave my chambers filthy. Once I started Annealing the case mouths [ to stop the splitting] I found that the upside was that the cases sealed the chambers better. DR

I love the 45 Colt round in my 8 3/8" S&W X Frame (chambered in 460). It feels like I'm plinking with 22lr. I'm one who wet tumbler brass so the dirty left behind isn't even a consideration. The 45 Colt isn't a hot rod cartridge so my loads are mild for "my pleasure" ;)
I like that big fat cartridge with a nice, deep "THUD". Sounds GREAT on the gong at 50' or so! :D

I've gone through quite a few pounds of red dot in a S&W 25-5 for my 45 colt. Over the years I have tried a few others but always ended up back with red dot. Dirty brass seems par for the case. I've saved throwing out a lot of dirty walnuts by going to a sonic cleaner, then the walnut and rouge polish.
Personally, I found Red Dot works very well for every pistol calibers I've loaded though the really small ones can be difficult to dispense so I just weigh them since I don't shoot them much.

I've gone through quite a few pounds of red dot in a S&W 25-5 for my 45 colt. Over the years I have tried a few others but always ended up back with red dot. Dirty brass seems par for the case. I've saved throwing out a lot of dirty walnuts by going to a sonic cleaner, then the walnut and rouge polish.
Personally, I found Red Dot works very well for every pistol calibers I've loaded though the really small ones can be difficult to dispense so I just weigh them since I don't shoot them much.
Seems Aliant powders are either not available, or insanely priced. The days of going into Bimart, or elsewhere, and picking up another pound of your favorite, or something new to try, powder are gone forever I'm afraid. :( I haven't used any Aliant powders I don't think? Luckily I have, and maybe will be lucky enough to continue to get my go-to powders in the future.

Seems Aliant powders are either not available, or insanely priced. The days of going into Bimart, or elsewhere, and picking up another pound of your favorite, or something new to try, powder are gone forever I'm afraid. :( I haven't used any Aliant powders I don't think? Luckily I have, and maybe will be lucky enough to continue to get my go-to powders in the future.
Sad but true!

step up to a 250-255 grain cast boolit and the smoky cases thing is pretty much solved...the extra build up of pressure expands the case mouth and seals it bettah than 200 grain bullets do.
you do know i've loaded this round for over twenty years ...right?? LOL
did u ever try titegroup as we discussed a while back ? if u don't try to go super low end...stay with specs....I'm finding it shoots the caliber very nice,and with Alliant with drawing it's a good option .
hope to see you guys here again sometime.
MIke

step up to a 250-255 grain cast boolit and the smoky cases thing is pretty much solved...the extra build up of pressure expands the case mouth and seals it bettah than 200 grain bullets do.
you do know i've loaded this round for over twenty years ...right?? LOL
did u ever try titegroup as we discussed a while back ? if u don't try to go super low end...stay with specs....I'm finding it shoots the caliber very nice,and with Alliant with drawing it's a good option .
hope to see you guys here again sometime.
MIke
The heavier slugs were a consideration, after the fact. Recoil management for Wifey and using a slightly slower powder than 231/HP38, (which is what I use instead of Titegroup) in a 20" barrel seemed like the thing to do at the time.
I did love shooting that revolver of yours! I haven't been to tempted to get on though.

I don't know if we'll ever get down there again. Kind of soured on the whole town with the way the owners of our place treated us. Seemed like Florence was turning into Eugene with all the dims moving/vacationing there. Hell, they screwed downtown with a bunch of the G-D street parking taken by eateries setting tables in the street. And it seemed like potlanders started teaching the locals to drive. I might have still moved there but the housing situation totally went away. Nothing but a few trashed out fixers and 500K+ homes. Not really wanting the gated community HOA $250.00/month thing.
And we're not fishing anymore without coming down there. Got tired of giving money to this state for them to waste on other bubblegum instead of what it's supposed to go for.
I hope you guys are good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
  • Stanwood, WA
Teen Rifle 1 Class
  • Springfield, OR

New Classified Ads

Back Top