JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Now THAT is a perfectly sized very sweet gen set. Thank you. Wanna bet also EMP resistant?

Can you run stuff other than #2 Diesel? Like #1 Diesel, maybe a mix of gasoline and vege oil? How about a mix of Jet A and lube oil? Just curious.

Our old VW Rabbit Diesel had stuff in the owners manual about alternate fuels. Cool.
Off course no EMP problems. The engine is a modern Yanmar single cylinder mechanical diesel. I have 4 of them along with my larger 60 and 200KW unit's. They are very sophisticated machines capeable of being synchronized to run several together. They have a compression release allowing then to be easily hand started or electrically started with a 24V power source. They will run on JP5 and I am sure on other kerosene based fuels. They also put out 24V DC for battery charging. I still have a rabbit Caddy diesel pickup that I will get going soon, a Mercedes diesel 4 diesel trucks, 6 diesel boats, 2 diesel tractors, a diesel forklift, air compressor, lawnmower, and a Diesel Gator. Guess I am sold on diesel.

My well is 300ft. deep. It would need one heck of a top notch hand pump.
Lehman's has them.......they are experts in non electric equipment. I have seen hydraulic powered water pumps..(I have some of those) and even steam powered pumps fired by fire wood or coal.

There's a year round creek twenty feet from my door. I'd love to do a hydro-power setup of some sort.
I have one of those, makes 5KW in a realitivley small stream. The problem with many hydro units is they are placed a distance from the house and really need heavy wires to transmit power to minimize the power loss. Otherwise, a wonderful system particularly near the coast with the volume of creeks and rainfall.

This pumped the sweet pure (mostly) liquid from beneath the crust of frigid NorDakota for decades before WW1:

IMG_1999.jpg IMG_2001.jpg

Guess the 'spout-from-the-side shot' needs to be redone, unless this gives enough idea of what the Swedes were using in those days.

I'd love to do a hydro-power setup of some sort.
a buddy of mine decades ago cobbled up a 12v home power system he used for years for close to zero $; it helped he was a salvage-junker guy & hauled in some giant phone-relay batteries.

His back yard creek-drop was about 3' at a handy spot; he build a small retaining wall/sluice gate/ related water-fall-turning junker auto alternator & there he went. Electronics wizzard wired in a few boxes/inverter/electron-slave devices & it went really well for over 20 years....with a few maintenance/upgrades now & then.

I've thought of setting up a battery bank, a 220 inverter, and some solar panels but realistically, if the outage lasted months, I'd rather have a hand pump. The generator would sit around almost all the time and probably fail to start anyway.

If you drain all the gas (run it empty) all you need to do is fill fresh GAS (not that corn fuel) when you need to use it, there should be no problems. That's what I do and besides needing an electric starting model I can get it running in about 5 minutes.;)

The creek's a good twenty feel down and I'm on bedrock on a slanted shelf up on the creek side about an additional six feet. If it comes in the living room it's gonna' have the place to itself.

In truth, I'm more worried about the house sliding into the creek. With my luck, the State would ding me for a houseboat license. :confused:

When I lived on the upper North Fork of Eagle Creek just SE of Sandy, OR. my neighbor sunk a well next to his house and hit an artisan spring. The best tasting spring water that just bubbled up out of the well casing.

Lehman supply..........Amish supply store for all things non electric.
Yes! I put one on an old well at our house. We use it to water flowers and keep a bucket hanging from it for dog water.
I bought a couple leather replacement cups for it and keep a roll of material to make the butterfly valve if I need to rebuild it again. We have had it functional for many many years now. No worries about water.
We do keep a tri-fuel generator that will run most of the house and the well if we need it. When that fuel runs out we still have water :)

Manual pump freezing. Particularly the pitcher pumps. You lift the plunger handle up higher than normal. That breaks suction and the pump body will empty.

Or you can do what we did since the kids sometimes forgot was to drill a small 1/32 inch hole somewhere convenient on the pump body. Placed a finger on it.

If memory serves a thumb was placed over the tiny hole and the rest of the hand held the empty plastic one gallon water jugs. The other hand pumped away.

Both easy to do. When done the small air lets in enough to drain the pump body. No freezing problems. We busted one pump from freezing before this. :)

If you go with a solar powered pump - the 12V variety - they usually are low pressure pumps. You can then put the water in a storage tank and use an intermittent 12-24V pressure pump to get the pressure you need inside the house from the storage.

Here is the hand pump I was thinking of getting:

Stainless Steel Deep Well Hand Pump - Pump from as deep as 300'

But they are not cheap. Supposed to be good. I think when I retire and buy property, I will probably go solar and have one of these pumps too as a backup - assuming I have to drill a well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top