JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the replies. Am tempted to go with the Frankford Arsenal unit. That way I can use my Lee shell holders and I have been well pleased with my Frankford Arsenal liquid stainless steel tumbler and case trimmer unit. I had an RCBS unit years ago that required one primer at a time and it was less than impressive. Hope the newer models are better.
FA on sale at midway 58 bucks

$116 on midway & $110 on Amazon, ATM for the non-strip bench mounted type.

Looks to be the strip type @Caveman Jim has...
Mine is an APS. ;)
161EB6B3-23FB-4620-AE3A-8921A86517E7.jpeg 4FC35AE1-A096-4EAF-84F4-312BCC64B599.jpeg

I had a Lee (new design) hand primer. It sucked ballz, so I gave it away.
Currently have (1) Hornady, (3) RCBS, and just received, gratis, a Primal Rights CPS (Competition Primer Seater -
Yes, the newer design Lee is not as good as the first edition. There was a lot of heaving and crying from long-time Lee customers when they made the change.

I looked at the Primal Rights, sure looks nice. That is for serious reloaders. I'm not that serious. I can buy many of the mainstream makes for that price. Just my way of looking at it. Some people like the best and drive a new Mercedes. I drive an old Mercury. It's good enough.

I guess I am in the market for a new hand priming tool.
View attachment 980129
This was my fourth Lee attempt. Guess they are cheap for a reason, as I have managed to break the pot metal parts in all of them. To be fair, I did prime quite a few cases before it broke, but then again, I finished the few .223 cases I was priming with the almost 40 year old auto prime for my vintage Rockchucker press. So, do I contact Lee and see if I can get a replacement part (none were listed on the website), or finally turn from my cheapskate personality and invest in a decent quality tool for a change?
I've had that happen with my "similar" Lee brand hand priming tool.

Pot metal....yup. Lee could make the part "better" (out of better materials). But, that would probably come at a higher cost. Perhaps an opportunity is there? But, YES.....I'd buy/consider a better replacement part (if it were available). That all being said....last time I broke that part. Replacement parts were available (hint: buy several replacements, just in case).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Got mine ordered.
So you ordered the frankford unit? If so, please come back here and let us know what you think of it. I still like the old auto prime with round trays, but I'm gonna need to get something different at some point. Today I loaded 60 rds of 06 in once fired 1960 FA match brass and several primer pockets were way too tight. Man I was holding my breath the old Lee wouldn't come apart.

One of the reasons I started using a hand primer in the first place is the Dillon seater! Seems to me that I'd end up with a powder flake causing dented primers. They always worked, but the possibility of a dented primer being inconsistent bothered me. Plus it just looks bubblegumty.

I have a Lee. (from the early 80's, round bin) It never seated rifle primers deep enough, so I always did those on my press. But I still use it for all my pistol primer loading. Hasn't broke, yet!

I guess I am in the market for a new hand priming tool.
View attachment 980129
This was my fourth Lee attempt. Guess they are cheap for a reason, as I have managed to break the pot metal parts in all of them. To be fair, I did prime quite a few cases before it broke, but then again, I finished the few .223 cases I was priming with the almost 40 year old auto prime for my vintage Rockchucker press. So, do I contact Lee and see if I can get a replacement part (none were listed on the website), or finally turn from my cheapskate personality and invest in a decent quality tool for a change?
I had a Lee Hand Primer for a year then moved to a Frankford Arsenal primer. Like it much better.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top