JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for the replies. Am tempted to go with the Frankford Arsenal unit. That way I can use my Lee shell holders and I have been well pleased with my Frankford Arsenal liquid stainless steel tumbler and case trimmer unit. I had an RCBS unit years ago that required one primer at a time and it was less than impressive. Hope the newer models are better.
FA on sale at midway 58 bucks

$116 on midway & $110 on Amazon, ATM for the non-strip bench mounted type.

Looks to be the strip type @Caveman Jim has...
Mine is an APS. ;)
161EB6B3-23FB-4620-AE3A-8921A86517E7.jpeg 4FC35AE1-A096-4EAF-84F4-312BCC64B599.jpeg

I had a Lee (new design) hand primer. It sucked ballz, so I gave it away.
Currently have (1) Hornady, (3) RCBS, and just received, gratis, a Primal Rights CPS (Competition Primer Seater -
Yes, the newer design Lee is not as good as the first edition. There was a lot of heaving and crying from long-time Lee customers when they made the change.

I looked at the Primal Rights, sure looks nice. That is for serious reloaders. I'm not that serious. I can buy many of the mainstream makes for that price. Just my way of looking at it. Some people like the best and drive a new Mercedes. I drive an old Mercury. It's good enough.

I guess I am in the market for a new hand priming tool.
View attachment 980129
This was my fourth Lee attempt. Guess they are cheap for a reason, as I have managed to break the pot metal parts in all of them. To be fair, I did prime quite a few cases before it broke, but then again, I finished the few .223 cases I was priming with the almost 40 year old auto prime for my vintage Rockchucker press. So, do I contact Lee and see if I can get a replacement part (none were listed on the website), or finally turn from my cheapskate personality and invest in a decent quality tool for a change?
I've had that happen with my "similar" Lee brand hand priming tool.

Pot metal....yup. Lee could make the part "better" (out of better materials). But, that would probably come at a higher cost. Perhaps an opportunity is there? But, YES.....I'd buy/consider a better replacement part (if it were available). That all being said....last time I broke that part. Replacement parts were available (hint: buy several replacements, just in case).

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Thanks for the heads up. Got mine ordered.
So you ordered the frankford unit? If so, please come back here and let us know what you think of it. I still like the old auto prime with round trays, but I'm gonna need to get something different at some point. Today I loaded 60 rds of 06 in once fired 1960 FA match brass and several primer pockets were way too tight. Man I was holding my breath the old Lee wouldn't come apart.

One of the reasons I started using a hand primer in the first place is the Dillon seater! Seems to me that I'd end up with a powder flake causing dented primers. They always worked, but the possibility of a dented primer being inconsistent bothered me. Plus it just looks bubblegumty.

I have a Lee. (from the early 80's, round bin) It never seated rifle primers deep enough, so I always did those on my press. But I still use it for all my pistol primer loading. Hasn't broke, yet!

I guess I am in the market for a new hand priming tool.
View attachment 980129
This was my fourth Lee attempt. Guess they are cheap for a reason, as I have managed to break the pot metal parts in all of them. To be fair, I did prime quite a few cases before it broke, but then again, I finished the few .223 cases I was priming with the almost 40 year old auto prime for my vintage Rockchucker press. So, do I contact Lee and see if I can get a replacement part (none were listed on the website), or finally turn from my cheapskate personality and invest in a decent quality tool for a change?
I had a Lee Hand Primer for a year then moved to a Frankford Arsenal primer. Like it much better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top