JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@HA556 some additional considerations in this other discussion thread:
Ham Radio

I mention it since you didn't indicate what distance you might want to communicate, with whom, etc. GMRS may be an option for you and your family - no test required, just a family-level license from the FCC.

A good way to study is take online test they use the same question and answer that you'll get taking the written one and you get your scores when you consistently get 80% or better it's a good time to go and take a swing at the real test . Go to eham.com QRZ as you take the test you'll start to remembering the correct answer. Are use this method to pass both my general and my extra a couple months ago I had my tech license since about 1995.

I just ordered the following and it will be here on Monday to get me started on the studying.

The-ARRL-Ham-Radio-License-Manual-Spiral-Review[1].jpg

Well, I'm going for the Tech first then, immediately start studying for the General. At the moment, my distance desire is to probably stay in my home state of OR. Who knows what that may lead to?!
:D

Well, I'm going for the Tech first then, immediately start studying for the General. At the moment, my distance desire is to probably stay in my home state of OR. Who knows what that may lead to?!
:D

When you test if you pass the first you can take the next test for no additional charge. It wouldn't hurt once you feel you have the technician whipped to study for the general. You could potentially take all three for the same fee.

I need a local source close to me here in Corvallis to get in touch with. Any suggestions or anyone nearby willing to help a beginner?:D

I need a local source close to me here in Corvallis to get in touch with. Any suggestions or anyone nearby willing to help a beginner?:D

The ARRL has a lot of resources and works closely with the FCC. Here is a linke to their page on getting licensed that gives an overview of the three licenses as well as links to training, practice tests and exams: Getting Licensed

You cn find clubs in your area here: Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

Here are two they listed for Corvallis, neither give exams, but the OSU club will help you prepare:

You might check out the Valley View Radio Club. They have been active since 1932, so they must be doing somethng right. They meet once a month in Eugene and my guess is they might have a member Elmer (experienced and usually willing to teach and mentor) in or close to Corvallis: - Valley Radio Club

The Valley View Radio Club also offers exams once a month. You can walk in, but I encourage you to contact anybody who you take the exam from to make sure you know what you can and can't bring. For example a simple calculator is allowed during testing, but anything with memory that can hold the answers is not. Here is the Eugene schedule: American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources

Last Edited:
Wow, thanks! I don't know how I didn't find the OSU club as they are right here!:rolleyes: I did find one in Salem also so, I'll be checking them all out. Really appreciate all your help!:s0155:

Wow, thanks! I don't know how I didn't find the OSU club as they are right here!:rolleyes: I did find one in Salem also so, I'll be checking them all out. Really appreciate all your help!:s0155:

You can also take the exams in Salem, too, if that works better for you.

I'm thinking it might as Eugene is a little farther than I like to drive (disabled). I'm figuring to study for the next month and take the exam in Jan. hopefully. Give Christmas time to settle down and I'll be able to fund a radio setup.:D

Ham Test Online is it's own manual and one that gets updated as laws governing Amateur Radio change. After you pass your test notify them and you can access all materials and use the test features for free for life. It's actually cheaper than a written manual. If you do better with written materials then by all means get a manual. Try taking their free study and test course and I think you will like you they do things.

If you live or travel close to the Portland Metro area there is a Ham Radio Outlet in Tigard: You are being redirected...

I guarantee you will find a helpful sales person or customer to show you how the radios work. Friendly folks and in my experience they won't try to push a sale. Also there are lot's of resources for used equipment because many HAMs keep trading up.

+1 for Ham Test Online. I used that for the Advanced and Extra exams, and it made everything much easier. Wish I had done it for the first test too.

I'm thinking it might as Eugene is a little farther than I like to drive (disabled). I'm figuring to study for the next month and take the exam in Jan. hopefully. Give Christmas time to settle down and I'll be able to fund a radio setup.:D

If you can do Ham Test Online, you should have no problem passing the test. It keeps track of what you've learned and what you need to review. It's a great way to go.

As for the test itself, it wasn't bad. All multiple choice. If you've studied well, you shouldn't have any trouble passing. The Advanced and Extra tests are harder, but you don't need them for basic operations.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews