JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pulled my Baofeng BF-F8HP out of my GHB bag today. Can't remember when I last charged it. I think it was at least several years ago.

Still has a full (or close to full) charge on the battery; 7.4 volts.

IIRC, full charge is 7.8 volts.

And yes, for about a year I kept an eye on it and noticed it wasn't self-discharging much. I knew it was in my GHB, but I just stopped thinking about it.

Good to know the battery (Lion) doesn't self-discarge very fast.

Has anyone mounted a TYT-9800 in a remote location?

In my BMW X1, I have an area under my cargo space, where the factory stereo/etc., some other electronics, and the battery are located.

I have a TYT-9800.

There is a space where I think the TYT could be mounted so that I would have the removable faceplate up front by the driver.

I seem to recall that someone mentioning that the TYT-9800 runs hot? I would mostly be listening, and if transmitting I would be using it for short transmits.

Thoughts?

Thanks! I'm BRAND NEW to it!
Just got a pair of Baofeng BF-F8HPs, a Uniden BC125AT scanner, and the HAM General Class exam test book this past week.
I'm overwhelmed by all that I must learn... :eek:

Last Edited:
Just got a pair of Baofeng BF-F8HPs, a Uniden BC125AT scaner, and the HAM General Class exam test book this past week.

Sobo (and anyone else looking to get a HAM ticket)...
I'd suggest downloading (for free) the "HRE Technician" or "HRE General" app, depending on which level of license you're studying for.
I just used it to get my general (W6KEZ).
It has all 300 questions that are in the test pool, exactly as written in the tests. As you read each question, the correct answer is hi-lighted...the method is to only read the hi-lighted answer, so that when you see the question on the actual test you'll "recognize" the correct response.
You can cycle through the questions until you're satisfied with your ability to pass the test. Sample tests are available on the app, where 35 random questions are presented (the actual tests have 35 questions), so these are a great indicator of your level of being prepared for the actual test.

I spent an hour or so daily for a week, running through the questions and taking sample tests. Scored a 33/35 (27 is a passing score).
And contrary to some critics, you DO learn some things, just not in the conventional way.

It works...
Good luck.

Just got a pair of Baofeng BF-F8HPs, a Uniden BC125AT scaner, and the HAM General Class exam test book this past week.

The technician license is the entry level. General is the mid level. Seems kind of counter intuitive, so wanted to make sure you're aware beforehand.

Also note that when you do take your test, after you've passed the test you will have the option to take the next level test immediately at no additional fee.

I think you have to start with the tech license test and can't just jump to general. Could be wrong though.

I think you have to start with the tech license test and can't just jump to general. Could be wrong though.

Yes, that's correct. You must pass the Technician exam first in order to take the General, but it's as you mentioned, you may take the General at no cost during the same exam session if you successfully pass the Technician.

Yes, that's correct. You must pass the Technician exam first in order to take the General, but it's as you mentioned, you may take the General at no cost during the same exam session if you successfully pass the Technician.

I didn't know that going in to my Technician exam, so I hadn't studied for the General. I tried the test anyway, and got about 60% right, no pass, but a little study could have got me there.

When I sat for my General, I also had studied for Amateur Extra. I passed the General, took the Amateur Extra and passed it at the same time. Knocked out all 3 licenses in about 3 months. Interactive online study for the last 2 exams was much more helpful than a study guide.

Sobo (and anyone else looking to get a HAM ticket)...
I'd suggest downloading (for free) the "HRE Technician" or "HRE General" app, depending on which level of license you're studying for.
I just used it to get my general (W6KEZ).
It has all 300 questions that are in the test pool, exactly as written in the tests. As you read each question, the correct answer is hi-lighted...the method is to only read the hi-lighted answer, so that when you see the question on the actual test you'll "recognize" the correct response.
You can cycle through the questions until you're satisfied with your ability to pass the test. Sample tests are available on the app, where 35 random questions are presented (the actual tests have 35 questions), so these are a great indicator of your level of being prepared for the actual test.

I spent an hour or so daily for a week, running through the questions and taking sample tests. Scored a 33/35 (27 is a passing score).
And contrary to some critics, you DO learn some things, just not in the conventional way.

It works...
Good luck.

That may help. I know that in college (Electronics Engineering) that was how some people studied for tests (more or less), using text books, writing down the questions in tests during class, etc.

But then the instructors flipped the question text so that to answer correctly you had to know the theory, not just memorize the canned answers .When I took my general FCC test (commercial license) I did a mix of taking the test, knowing the canned answers and then understanding why the answer was correct by understanding the theory. I should have taken my HAM tests back then too when I still remembered all the theory.

I did take my General, but missed it by 4 questions.

The technician license is the entry level. General is the mid level. Seems kind of counter intuitive, so wanted to make sure you're aware beforehand.

Also note that when you do take your test, after you've passed the test you will have the option to take the next level test immediately at no additional fee.

Well, they got me! :s0140:
Ordered the General study guide since it seemed intuitive enough to me that I wasn't going to be a technician.
Apparently not intuitive enough, it would seem... :rolleyes:

Well, they got me! :s0140:
Ordered the General study guide since it seemed intuitive enough to me that I wasn't going to be a technician.
Apparently not intuitive enough, it would seem... :rolleyes:
:s0112:

That's why I mention it. Very intuitive and user friendly!

Go get the tech license though, it's not bad. Protip: you don't have to be licensed to transmit on cases of emergency (including emergency to property)

Pick up a new antenna, extended life battery and double aa battery pack for that baofeng.

I got a nagoya na-771 antenna for mine. The stock one is garbage.

It's a nice little budget handheld. I picked up a couple guys talking one day on mine. One was in UK and the other was in southern California.

Let me know when you get your license and maybe we'll connect one of these days when I'm headed between Vancouver and Spokane. (KJ7BZG)

Free virtual expo on August 8-9, 2020.

More HF!!! :)
Anyone needs any help or gear - let me know!

I have a couple nib Icom's I'll be letting go of soon when someone needs a nice station and tuner.

Sky Bounce Baby! :s0023:

Sobo, also check out this link. HamStudy.org: Login Makes the whole thing easy and fun (well, it did for me and I enjoyed it so much that I did all 3 licences including Amateur Extra).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top