JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Egads. I've thought before, "What if -- a per gun tax was enacted." For all guns. As has been bandied about occasionally by the gun-haters for years. If you were allowed to keep the gun but required to pay tax on it, that very well might pass 2A muster in court. Hasn't the NFA established a precedent for that?
Don't States collect sales/excise taxes on firearms in States that have Sales Taxes already??

Egads. I've thought before, "What if -- a per gun tax was enacted." For all guns. As has been bandied about occasionally by the gun-haters for years. If you were allowed to keep the gun but required to pay tax on it, that very well might pass 2A muster in court. Hasn't the NFA established a precedent for that?
They would just throw magazine fed guns and internal mag guns over 10 rounds into the NFA . Its what theyve wanted all along anyway.

Don't States collect sales/excise taxes on firearms in States that have Sales Taxes already??
Most do, but what I'm talking about (and what some gun-haters have suggested) is an annual use tax or fee. It could also be a tool for defacto registration, because otherwise how would they record the fees per gun?

Excise tax is paid at the federal level at the manufacturer level already.
I'm thinking this kind of tax could come from state or federal level. The ball might be more likely to start rolling as a state tax in one of the more "progressive" states. Just as so-called assault weapon restrictions are creeping into effect here and there in the states.

I'm thinking this kind of tax could come from state or federal level. The ball might be more likely to start rolling as a state tax in one of the more "progressive" states. Just as so-called assault weapon restrictions are creeping into effect here and there in the states.
The NFA Form 1/Form 4 tax is an excise tax already.

Makes more sense to the money hungry government than a confiscation. Make tens of billions of dollars in tax stamp money instead of spending money to do something else. Also force 100x the amount of people into the already struggling and archaic ATF registration system. Would surely see sales plummet and companies fold.

You know. I've been thinking. Pro 2A groups lost a big chance in the 1980s-1990s to challenge SCOTUS again on the subject of Miller and NFA1934.. specifically the interpretation that Miller said "arms suitable for militia uses and in common use with the military at the time are protected by the 2nd Amendment".... especially with the general issue rifle of the US Army and the USAF being the M16 series... and the CAR-15 carbines and Colt Commando models being in relatively common use with military at the time... being what the NFA would consider SBRs plus Machine Guns. We could go further back to the 1950s-1960s when we had fully automatic SMGs and Carbines (M2 Carbine) issued to many troops, and the crew served Machine Guns, and the M60s.. and the introduction of the M16s and Colt Commandos.... if they had succeeded in overturning the NFA and GCA1968 at that time of the 1980s... we might never had the FOPA1986's Hughes amendment and the 1994 AWB.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top