JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The airline can do whatever it wants with its paying customers. They can also feel the wrath of people who have not yet purchased a ticket and they can feel the wrath of shareholders who are dumping that stock like hot potatoes. United's market capitalization will take a loss in the hundreds of millions and in a low margin environment they cant avoid the PR storm coming. Companies that want to survive do it with good PR. One stupid decision by a lowest level manager CAN kill a company.

I'll never book a flight on United again. My prerogative.

Last Edited:
IMG_4078.JPG

The airline can do whatever it wants with its paying customers. They can also feel the wrath of people who have not yet purchased a ticket and they can feel the wrath of shareholders who are dumping that stock like hot potatoes. United's market capitalization will take a loss in the hundreds of millions and in a low margin environment they cant avoid the PR storm coming. Companies that want to survive do it with good PR. One stupid decision by a lowest level manager CAN kill a company.

I'll never book a flight on United again. My prerogative.

Maybe UA can book their crews on other airlines and leave the PAYING customers the hell alone.

but if I were seated in the plane and needed to get wherever, I would resist too.
And you think by simply 'resisting' will get them to take their hands off and suddenly treat you with 'kid gloves' and let you fly on? Resist and you will be considered a 'flight hazard' and most likely handled similarly. I can't believe how many espouse 'resistance' as the right thing to do in this case. A co worker said he would 'be cutting up seats while resisting" - I need to ask him with what.

United has no one to blame but themselves. They may have been legally in the right, but now there is a viral video of a passenger being manhandled who, other than refusing to give up their seat that they paid for, did nothing wrong.

Indeed it is! Or... it would be, had the person not agreed to their policy of doing this when he purchased the ticket.
But honestly, I already avoided United when possible due to The-Bad-Flight-Experience-To-End-All-Experiences -- but now I'll just avoid them flat out. Seriously, this is what they think of their customers.
There is an exception in the law for what's called an overreaching contract. That is generally considered to be where the terms of the contract are egregiously out of balance due to the relative power of the two parties. There are many instances of courts disallowing boiler plate agreements that are "take it or leave it" statements by one side that has all the power that the other side doesn't have much choice but to accept or walk away, and they have held that people cannot reasonably be expected to walk away from a vital service where there are no alternatives. This case fits the bill. A huge corporation with unlimited power over the individual consumer offers a "take it or leave it" statement in its contract, and the consumer is expected to forego a vital public service if he/she objects. I don't think that would stand up in a court of law.

There are two sides to this story and you can find what you want on both sides no matter how long you look at it.

The airline was wrong for over booking and not handeling it in a more professional way and the passenger was a cry baby about the way they handled it. Both parties contributed to this fiasco. The law says this and the passenger paid for that in the long run both parties could have done things different. My wife would have taken the money and if I needed to get to my destination it would have pissed me off to no end.

This conversation could go on for days. There both messed up in the head and big corporations suck. :p:D

The airline didnt overbook. They had a full plane and then decided to add an additional set of crew members so they could fly planes elsewhere. They forgot who their customers were and it will cost them dearly. They also forgot that everyone has instant access to social media accounts and has a fully functional camera and microphone on them at all times.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top