JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The airplane is not publicly owned, it is a private airplane and they can kick you off whenever they want. Just like your landlord and your boss can get rid of you whenever they want.

Really? Your landlord and your boss can get rid of you whenever they want? Yeah, there are a lot of bosses and landlords out there wishing they'd followed the law instead of winging it. Ever heard of a wrongful termination suit? And landlords get slammed all the time for not giving proper notice for inspections and lease terminations. It's what keeps lawyers in business.

The airplane is not publicly owned, it is a private airplane and they can kick you off whenever they want. Just like your landlord and your boss can get rid of you whenever they want
Must have missed who owns the companies STOCK... I wonder then when they will roll out their IPO and make it public?

What's the problem here! Why the bickering? Both these parties acted like arses. The air line should pay for treating paying customers like they did, and they most likely will with a modicum of lost business and stock for a short time. The customer is already paying with a busted up nose, and will get some monetary settlement, which, in my mind, shouldn't be more than doctors bills and a few thousands pain and suffering and to an extent brought it on himself. What adult acts like that anyway?

And like was said above, maybe the huge air lines will quit the crap of bumping people shortly before loading, and for SURE bumping once they're on the plane. Who runs a business like that anyway?

The infighting is uncomfortable, and not normal around here.

Really? Your landlord and your boss can get rid of you whenever they want? Yeah, there are a lot of bosses and landlords out there wishing they'd followed the law instead of winging it. Ever heard of a wrongful termination suit? And landlords get slammed all the time for not giving proper notice for inspections and lease terminations. It's what keeps lawyers in business.

I should have said no good reason instead. Unless you follow your at-will employment contract or lease agreement to the letter, which most people don't, a sliver of daylight and a 30 minute phone call to a lawyer is all your employer or landlord needs to boot you. And the way I see it, no good reason is tantamount to no reason at all if you are sitting in the unemployment line.

If you read the fine print the airline can remove you from their airplane for two dozen or more silly or whimsical reasons that you would never agree with. Except you agree to it when you buy your ticket, and their three dozen lawyers would explain that to your lawyer.

Must have missed who owns the companies STOCK... I wonder then when they will roll out their IPO and make it public?

I know what an IPO is, I have worked on one. And just so people don't get confused, United is not owned by the public at large. You can't buy a ticket on an United Flight and attend a board meeting. It's not City Council, where homeless can line up to give their .02 about the condition of the sidewalks and the parks.

Tell that to my HR dept. In "At Will " states it's hardly ever that easy to just get rid of someone. I've got 3-4 people I would have fired a long time ago were that the case. As a former ( never doing that again ) landlord don't get me started on how "easy" it is to evict someone.

From my understanding United violated its own terms of service agreement and 14CFR 250.9 anyway as the forced removal came after boarding. There seems to be a line drawn at the boarding gate where once boarded their removal clause for overbooking is no longer valid. Add to that the fact it was not actually an overbooking situation and Dr. Dao is probably looking at a healthy check coming his way once they put his face back together.

I dont know what this talk of an IPO is. United is and has been a publicly traded company for years. While buying a ticket may not get you into the board room buying enough stock certainly will.

Last Edited:
I really hate the united paid off every passenger on that flight.
I think all they owe anyone is maybe! MAYBE! Paying this guys medical mills if they are legit.
Which I doubt. And his injuries are his own fault I would hope they still charge him.

And not only United, but all airlines should change their policies.
If they would have kept raising the compensation for giving up one's seat they could have easily found a number they of people to volunteer.

But know everyone that gets their feelings hurt will claim PTSD and emotional trauma and look for a payout. Just like the rest of issues in the country.

United F'd up by caving in. Your still not going to save face.

@wired I don't know what industry you're in, but I've hired and fired with relative ease over the last 11 years. I've let several employees go just for being incompetent, and I've never been sued, nor do I expect to be sued. Most of them just wanted to make sure I will approve their unemployment. I can't imagine carrying dead weight employees for years. I'd rather risk the lawsuit.

I dont know what this talk of an IPO is. United is and has been a publicly traded company for years. While buying a ticket may not get you into the board room buying enough stock certainly will.

That was a response to this pedantic comment below (my emphasis):

Anyone who has enough money to get into the board room at United is flying with NetJets, not United, and could care about this issue except for that now it will hurt their stock.

Kids, if you are reading this, you do not own a piece of United Airlines.

Last Edited:
I manage a relatively large chemical production facility. If I dont have 6 months worth of documentation detailing employee screwups my HR dept will tear it up. That pretty much goes for every place I've worked for the last 30 ish years. Ive really only worked one place where they really used the "At Will" system to effect and those were bottom feeder jobs where the employee was happy to get the unemployment because they didnt have to work.

Wow, this thread has officially went to bubblegum with the personal attacks.

Indeed. Well, I can agree to disagree and leave it that.

This is about values. You either sympathize with the man or you don't. As a business owner my first thought is to negotiate and look for a win-win, not to start fights in a public place. Sometimes situations cannot be helped, and sometimes you win, and sometimes you lose. I don't have any patience or respect for people who want reenact to Tiananmen Square anytime they feel wronged. But again, these are my values, YMMV.

I manage a relatively large chemical production facility. If I dont have 6 months worth of documentation detailing employee screwups my HR dept will tear it up. That pretty much goes for every place I've worked for the last 30 ish years. Ive really only worked one place where they really used the "At Will" system to effect and those were bottom feeder jobs where the employee was happy to get the unemployment because they didnt have to work.

I'm in the same boat. Our corp office is based out of california.
So crappy employees can literally get paid for nothing at times for years, before anything happens.

It's aweful. We had a guy that was missing work all the time because he was in jail for drinking and fighting issues. And our HR dept told him to take his time and let them know if he needs assisstance!

WTF!?!!?
This is a guy not only you want to keep, but help!

I'm in the same boat. Our corp office is based out of california.
So crappy employees can literally get paid for nothing at times for years, before anything happens.

It's aweful. We had a guy that was missing work all the time because he was in jail for drinking and fighting issues. And our HR dept told him to take his time and let them know if he needs assisstance!

WTF!?!!?
This is a guy not only you want to keep, but help!

I had a guy I caught drinking beer in his car in the parking lot at lunch on his first day. They wanted to send him to rehab. Took 3 months of doing drunk idiot stuff before I could fire him and even then it wasnt for drinking. It was for attendance.

If you read the fine print the airline can remove you from their airplane for two dozen or more silly or whimsical reasons that you would never agree with. Except you agree to it when you buy your ticket, and their three dozen lawyers would explain that to your lawyer.
The point of the section of the federal law that I quoted is that you DO NOT necessarily agree to the terms of the contract by buying a ticket. If a court determines that there was no "meeting of the minds" about the terms of the contract, or if the contract was not entered into voluntarily (there has to be some reasonable alternative), or if the terms of the contract are ridiculously one sided, it's NOT a binding contract, no matter what the back of the ticket says. Lots of businesses and promoters have found out about that the hard (expensive) way.

I know what an IPO is, I have worked on one. And just so people don't get confused, United is not owned by the public at large. You can't buy a ticket on an United Flight and attend a board meeting. It's not City Council, where homeless can line up to give their .02 about the condition of the sidewalks and the parks.
United is a publicly owned company, meaning they have issued shares of the company which trade on a stock exchange and which anyone can buy. If you own even one share you have a vote in how the company is run, and you get to attend stockholders' meetings, so in effect, you can line up and give them your 2¢ about what they are doing.

I gave up flying years ago. We need to beef up train and ship traffic(not cruise ship) which are better modes of transportation than the flying cattle cars of the air. If we had decent rail traffic like in Europe your actual time spent traveling 500-600 miles by train would actually be less than by air when you factor in the waits and searches of airline travel and also considering when you arrive at your destination you feel refreshed by train, not rung through the mill like air. Decent comfortable seats, meals you can actually like to eat and the luxury of not being stuck in a cramped seat, but can enjoy standing up and visiting other parts of the train and interacting with your fellow passengers. As far as overseas airline flights you need to realistically add 2-2 1\2 days to your travel time that are basically wasted. In the days of the ocean liners they had the transatlantic travel between Europe and the US at almost 4 days, today they could get it down to even less if they really tried. When you add in the 2-2 1\2 days to your travel time that is wasted and spent recovering from jet lag and time shifts it makes more sense. Just like a 1930-40's businessman stepping off the Broadway Limited in the morning just in time for business opening, well rested, having eaten a good breakfast and ready to do business. I would much rather travel as a human being rather than cattle as the airlines treat passengers today. If I can't get there by some other means than flying, I just don't go.

IMG_1062.JPG

Follow Up:

"There is a lesson to be learned here for police officers at all levels. Do not state something that is clearly contrary to video viewed by the world,"
Officers fired after removal of United passenger

As more and more has come out after this it was a royal FUBAR all the way around. It seems that as often happens its the cover up that is worse than the offense. Even at the time I could not help but think the airline was fighting a losing battle here with public opinion. It seemed they would have been money ahead to offer 2 or 3 times what they were offering rather than end up with that video. Of course all who fly will have to pay more for this now but still some very poor choices there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top