JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because no one pays list?

I do; but I have an FFL. :D

And, imho, unless they offer something beyond selling guns, ammo, and accessories, I don't bother with the local gun shops. Haven't for a long while, actually. Hell, after finding a couple good gunsmiths (one here in Oregon and the other back east) that isn't even a reason to darken the doorway of a local shop. Those that whine about being a conduit for transfers, remember, you're only getting that business because of a stupid law passed over a half century ago. Remove that idiotic governmental aspect and that wouldn't be in the equation.

But you won't find a Savage Model 10 for 250. A new one is 350, a used one is 350. People buy up the used ones for the actions and throw the rest away. They do that with the new ones too.

Beats me why some stores do these things and still manage to stay in business.

Then again, I'm surprised by lots of things these days.

I guess that's a sign that I'm getting older, or more bitter!

But you won't find a Savage Model 10 for 250. A new one is 350, a used one is 350. People buy up the used ones for the actions and throw the rest away. They do that with the new ones too.
I must have gotten real lucky when i was lookinh for a savage a few months back.

All these damn peoole having all this damn money making,the prices of everything go up. Im sick of it.

Yes i understand that ... What i don't understand is used guns being at new prices. Like you should be able to pick up a decent savage modle 10 for about 250. Pawn shops would want 349.99 and let it sit on the wall for a year or more. Offer em any less then 350 and they get upset cuz im the one being unfair.

You raise a good point, especially when it comes to rifles. Unless a buyer has a particularly discerning eye and/or a portable borescope, there's always the risk the darn thing's been shot out.

The other thing that chaps me a bit is when they want top retail dollar for a used gun but no one took the time to give it even a modest cleaning. How hard would it be to wipe it down with an oil cloth and run a patch through? When I mention that the answer is usually something like "well that's how we got it", no kidding Captain Obvious :rolleyes:

Listening to offers and taking offers are two different things. Being offended is often determined by the delivery of the offer or the lack of someone accepting your's.

To be fair, I think its because you pay for convenience of being able to walk in walk out with one (provided no stupid law of a waiting period).
Then theres cost the store eats upon ordering and having to put on a shelf so they need a little bit back to keep orders up and the lights on.

Its nice to have an LGS or around but with the internet and state laws encroaching on them I would imagine sales are lacking up until election season or a new grab bill is circulating.

Why I said if i ran an gun store i'd have 24/7 propaganda of gun fear mongering grabbing and making up fake HB's and pamphlets to scare my customers into panic buying year round.

I suspect, but don't actually know since I don't own and have never worked in a gun shop, that the business model is somewhat like inkjet printers -- the machinery isn't where the profit lies, it is in the supplies and accessories. At least that is what I would expect.

Let me make my self clear ... I dont have an,issue with new guns. Every gun store in the area selling new guns are fair prices. My issue is with the USED gun market.
From what has been already posted i fell that they mark there prices so high becuse 1. Drugs arnt cheep... 2. They want to keep there display case/full so it looks like they have inventroy. Or 3. To not only screw over the guy they bought it from but to also screw over the guy who buys the gun from the store.

Listening to offers and taking offers are two different things. Being offended is often determined by the delivery of the offer or the lack of someone accepting your's.

To make my self clear. The one store will not take any offers on firearms. They will say. " all my guns have a realy fair price" when this is the same store that had a used singleshot hatfeild 12g that sells at walmart for $99 bran new in the box and they had it listed for $149.99.
And the store that told me to leave if i dont like his prices had a plan jane newer modle 10/22 that had been threw the rigger( and it was dirty) listed for 260 somthing. I looked at it made sure everything seemed alright on it. Made the offer of" tell ya what i got 200 bucks for this." And without skiping a beat he comes back with"if you domt like my prices go somewhere elts."
So i took his advice and have not beem back there since.
I dont feel i came in there is any aditude but i definitely left with some aditude.

Gone are the good old days where the good'ol boys would sit around the pot bellied stove and jaw over a hot cuppa and in time make a deal. Now it's business is business and that's it. So as a customer vote with your checkbook without the drama. That being said, are you looking for the "deal" so you can flip it or are you looking for something you can teach your grand kids to shoot with when the time comes? See in the second option 50-60 bucks isn't very important compared to the joy to be had.
Now for a story, I bought a air weight from my little local gun shop and paid what they go for. After I shot it a couple times I mentioned to the gun shop owner that the grips were too big for me and would have to get some aftermarket ones. Next time I was in his shop he asked me if I had the air weight with me and I said yes. He pulled a bag out from under the counter full of j frame grips and said see if you can find something in here that will work for you. I sat at the end of the counter tiring out the different grips until I found what I liked. When I asked how much he said don't worry about it. I could have bought that gun for a little less than retail and saved maybe 20 bucks and then paid 60 more dollars for the grips.

There are a couple pawn shops around Vancouver who will not budge on price for guns no material how long they've been in the case (the typical rule for pawnshops is that you can usually negotiate down to about 2/3 of what they have it priced at) and once you have paid your money and passed the background check they will not let you leave with the gun without buying a trigger lock from them.

Can someone please exsplain to me why mom and pop gun stores and pawn shops most always have there used guns at msrp or slightly below.

I understand that they have to make money. But its pretty crazy when you go into a pawn shop and see $99 walmart special for $149.99. I also understand that some guns do appreciate. But the Turkish made shot gun from a company thats not even in buissness anymore is not a good deal at 5% off msrp .

Do they not understand most firearms will sell used at wholsale cost?
Honestly? I think it is sheer laziness.

It's real easy to look up an MSRP from the manufacturer. It takes more work to research the actual used value and local market used value of any particular weapon.

What I don't get is the offense at a lowball offer. I was real big into photography for a good long while (still am actually) and have made many an offer knowing more about the gear I was trying to buy than just about everyone, let alone the seller. For every single old guy complaining about Millenial's thin skin, there's a pawn shop owning boomer with his panties so twisted he's walkin' with a limp...from an "offensive" low ball offer.

As a business owner, you can handle low balls one of two ways: you can politely decline and counter, or you can take offense and give offense. It should be noted that option A there could still land you a customer while option B leads to not making a sale to that person, ever, and them spreading bad reviews publicly. Option B, thus, is just plain stupid. I've no sympathy for business owners that can't keep it together through a basic negotiation and no worries in taking my cash elsewhere.

I've made a living my entire adult life selling my time to customers in my field of endeavor, I simply ignored potential customers who want to pay me just enough to keep my family off the soup line. I guess I've developed a thick skin when it comes to being lowballed.

Some people are just wired to push the envelope when it comes time to make a deal, never found a reason to take umbrage, just let it ride. And say no thank you.

Beats me why some stores do these things and still manage to stay in business.

Then again, I'm surprised by lots of things these days.

I guess that's a sign that I'm getting older, or more bitter!

Example.........The Gun Room.

For years Warren has had a well earned reputation for being over priced and just generally ornery. Yet he has outlasted COUNTLESS other shops and stores...in anti-gun Portland no less. I won't do business with him, but I do have to admire that he is still here.

I don't get how he does it, but if someone can figure it out, they can get rich selling that business model to others. :D

-E-

I've made a living my entire adult life selling my time to customers in my field of endeavor, I simply ignored potential customers who want to pay me just enough to keep my family off the soup line. I guess I've developed a thick skin when it comes to being lowballed.

Some people are just wired to push the envelope when it comes time to make a deal, never found a reason to take umbrage, just let it ride. And say no thank you.

Well said!

I am sitting here thinking about how much overhead is built into the brick and mortar small business model.

I don't even sell widgets - I sell information and insurance.

This morning I am dealing with a water cooler that took a 4 gallon dump on my office floor. This will require significant repair.

At least the LGS can flex. My fees are set in stone by the State.

Well, after I meet with the water tower people and see how much they feel like stepping up, it will be their insurance or mine.

But I will not be compensated for having two employees doing loss mitigation (mopping, moving furniture) and NOT doing what I pay them for.

Not even close to a real problem. Just the cost of doing business.

But make no mistake, there is a cost to having a physical location.

Well said!

I am sitting here thinking about how much overhead is built into the brick and mortar small business model.

I don't even sell widgets - I sell information and insurance.

This morning I am dealing with a water cooler that took a 4 gallon dump on my office floor. This will require significant repair.

At least the LGS can flex. My fees are set in stone by the State.
Duuuude. I'm really sorry you are having to deal with that. Our washing machine dumped an unknown amount from the second floor recently...we only noticed because the first floor ceiling's drywall started buckling down.

Water might be the source of all life...but it's a real bit.ch too.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top