JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone please exsplain to me why mom and pop gun stores and pawn shops most always have there used guns at msrp or slightly below.

I understand that they have to make money. But its pretty crazy when you go into a pawn shop and see $99 walmart special for $149.99. I also understand that some guns do appreciate. But the Turkish made shot gun from a company thats not even in buissness anymore is not a good deal at 5% off msrp .

Do they not understand most firearms will sell used at wholsale cost?

In most of the world, you're expected to negotiate. Americans aren't used to that by and large. Those who frequent pawn shops, or buy used cars, understand how the game is played.;)

Because no one pays list?

Im not going to call out any stores on here but 2 of the local to vancover shops eather wont take offers or they get offended that you think there price is too high ... One guy told me to leave his store if i dont like his prices when i offered him 200 bucks for a 10 22 ... Like come on man.

Supply and demand! Add in the need for an FFL transfer that can be done on site, and there's your answer!
If things are priced to sell, they will, and if not, then it's store stock taking up space and not making a profit, bad business move!
Is a Glock going to sell for List, probably not, but an FIne Italian Shotgun will surely fetch list or over, depending on age, condition, and demand for that model! Now, if your competing against the big stores with lots of overhead and lots of stock and can move in volume, then your not doing things smart trying to sell at or just under list for the exact same item, unless what your selling is actually worth what your asking for it and you have people looking for that specific item!

The last two guns I bought in a LGS were old. a WWII piece and a S&W model 1. I did not pay much for the model 1, but I suspect it was more than MSRP in the American civil war. I simply do not know how much the P-38 cost in March of '45. But I suspect less than I paid.

I better know what I'm doing.
And they better know what there doing.

I wont pay them the difference in price when they get it wrong. ;)
Well, that depends on which way they got it wrong! I scored a nice NRA 1903 for about a hundred less then it should have been, and was happy to do so with out saying a word! ;)

I do agree though, a feller should know what the value of what he is buying is, pretty easy to get taken if you don't, ask the fella who bought an M-1D Garand and paid over 3k for it, and how does one prove its a legit "D" with all the correct parts, given they were not a specific model and are super easy to fake! :confused:

Im not going to call out any stores on here but 2 of the local to vancover shops eather wont take offers or they get offended that you think there price is too high ... One guy told me to leave his store if i dont like his prices when i offered him 200 bucks for a 10 22 ... Like come on man.
Lol, can you pm me the store names so i can wither avoid them, or have that knowledge before walking in?

Yeah some times you do find good deals on used guns... But its realy hard to support local stors when they a. Wont price match. And b are at or above msrp. I can under stand paying 10 to 50 bucks more at a mom and pop.

Two reasons:

#1 they know they will eventually get that inflated price by someone who just assumes they being a pawn shop must have the lowest price.
#2 they don't really care if they sell their inventory or not. Not that they are asses but maybe its slim pickings for used guns so they want lots of ratty inventory that makes it look like they have a lot of guns, insert #1 here.

Sadly I've spent more time in pawn shops than in Church ;)

In most cases they pay so little for a gun, whether it's an outright buy or a pawn forfeit, they have plenty of room to move but are not in a rush to crush their profit. Think PT Barnum.

I did cut a decent deal last year though on a nice S&W wheel gun at a local pawnshop, it was a lot of work on my part, and a willingness to walk that finally sealed the deal. The final straw was paying by credit card (where I get 2% back), nope, can't do it. Fine, I'll be back next month to see if you still have it. Wait a sec, let me call the boss. OK, we can do it with credit card this time only ;).

To be fair, I think its because you pay for convenience of being able to walk in walk out with one (provided no stupid law of a waiting period).
Then theres cost the store eats upon ordering and having to put on a shelf so they need a little bit back to keep orders up and the lights on.

Its nice to have an LGS or around but with the internet and state laws encroaching on them I would imagine sales are lacking up until election season or a new grab bill is circulating.

Why I said if i ran an gun store i'd have 24/7 propaganda of gun fear mongering grabbing and making up fake HB's and pamphlets to scare my customers into panic buying year round.

Two reasons:

#1 they know they will eventually get that inflated price by someone who just assumes they being a pawn shop must have the lowest price.
#2 they don't really care if they sell their inventory or not. Not that they are asses but maybe its slim pickings for used guns so they want lots of ratty inventory that makes it look like they have a lot of guns, insert #1 here.

That makes the most sence. They want to sell guns but they dont wamt to have empty shelfs.

Big stores buy in volume and get better pricing than small shops. most wholesalers offer deals such as buy 10 (insert gun here) get on free. Some small shops cant afford to buy 10 Scorpions/Glocks, whatever, to get the good deals. Sometimes a Big store can sell cheaper than a mom and pop shop can buy. The mall shop sells fewer guns, so they need a bigger margin.

Big stores buy in volume and get better pricing than small shops. most wholesalers offer deals such as buy 10 (insert gun here) get on free. Some small shops cant afford to buy 10 Scorpions/Glocks, whatever, to get the good deals. Sometimes a Big store can sell cheaper than a mom and pop shop can buy. The mall shop sells fewer guns, so they need a bigger margin.
Yes i understand that ... What i don't understand is used guns being at new prices. Like you should be able to pick up a decent savage modle 10 for about 250. Pawn shops would want 349.99 and let it sit on the wall for a year or more. Offer em any less then 350 and they get upset cuz im the one being unfair.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top