JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you interested in a gun safe light kit less than $95

• Yes, that looks awesome!

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Yes, but it is too much $$$$

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Yes, but __________ (add a comment in this thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
I was frustrated by the lack of being able to see anything in my gun safe, especially at night. I tried wearing a head lamp, putting those "click lights" inside and even trying a motion sensing light on the inside of the door but they all did not provide enough light to really see what I needed in the safe. I looked into some of the options available from the manufacturers but they were all over $120! I worked out a simple kit that I can put together biased on the size of the safe and it has worked brilliantly so far!

I am trying to work out how interested members would be in a gun safe lighting kit to go from:
IMG_20120714_165325.jpg

To this:
IMG_20120714_165309.jpg

I am putting together a kit for between $75 and $95 that I can offer to members. Here are the stats:

Low voltage (low heat = safe)
Options to run on battery or wall power
Water proof and UL Certified (safe)
Here's the clincher: Motion Sensing (turns on when the safe is opened and off after 20 seconds of no movement in front of the door or when it is closed) no switches to fiddle with or forget to turn off
Works with any safe
Hidden lights = no glare back in your eyes
Lights can be dimmed with a simple switch
Simple install (if you can clean your gun you can install this)

So, post on the poll if you would be interested.

IMG_20120714_165325.jpg

IMG_20120714_165309.jpg

I have carpet lining inside my safe so I just went to the local chain store and bout a pack of 3 LED lights with velcro adhesive stickers. It uses two AAA batteries, the light housing swivels and has two modes, and it's a push on/off style light. I think I spent $8 and it came with free batteries. Have had the lights for over a year and no problems.... the batteries are getting weak but no big deal, I can replace them whenever.

I tentatively am interested. I also have those Liberty lights bought from Costco and arranged "strategically" for maximum lighting but they each require a swipe of my hand across them to light up. Sometimes they register my swipe as a second movement so they dim so I have to swipe twice more to get back to the bright mode. They also take up height on the shelves so I need space to swipe across them. I'd prefer a global lighting system like this compared to the localized lights, providing that power consumption is kept to a minimum.

I have a red LED light that illuminates the combination lock and so I use it when it is dark. The interior lights come on when I open the safe door. I bought this LED light from Cabelas as well.

<broken link removed>

LED strips take so little power and put off very little heat; last for 10s of thousands of hours. I used them, they stay on all the time. Used in a Canon safe with internal AC plug.

I do have a SnapSafe with no internal outlet so a battery powered one does interest me.

Possible interest, especially in the motion sensing aspect. After using 4 of the tap lights from home depot (and having them all mysteriously die, good use of 12 AAA batteries) I bought some LED "strip lights" and with the power supply I think it was <$20. It works great but I don't have any way to turn them on or off besides just pulling the plug on the outlet. Since the power draw is so low, super long life, and basically no heat generated I just leave them on.
I think you could have a good business opportunity there to make safe kits. $95 seems kinda steep but compared to the other options it's not bad. Might even have the chance to market it to safe manufacturers as an OEM option and cha-ching!

$12.95 for a set of rope lights from HD. I leave them on all the time and they take the place of a GoldenRod (they put out some heat) for rust protection.

Two birds, one (cheap) stone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads