JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what is sad about not having to pass a test to excercise a right?? Perhaps the "reporter" should have to pass a test before being allowed access to a keyboard??

I agree wholeheartedly.

I do think ALL mentally sound adults should be able to freely carry a gun to protect themselves. I also would not be against those same adults having to to show they have some basic knowledge of how the gun works. Of course the problem is if we allow this the people in charge would soon turn it into the DMV. If it could be done easy though it would be nice. One range here Wife has been thinking about signing up for does this. To buy a membership you have to pass a test. It consists of you showing them you can safely handle a gun and shoot 10 rounds at a 2' x2' target and keep all 10 rounds on the target at some set distance. I can see no problem with this. If I had to have some instructor at a range test me this way when I renewed my CPL here I would have no problem with this. As long as the State did not turn it into some big deal. Price of this should be part of what I already pay for the license. I have literally met people, often women, who had someone buy them a gun and have them get a permit who had never shot the gun they have in their purse. I have also seem people like this who have shot the gun they carry and are scared to death of it. Since they were handed a gun with no training and told to fire it. They were scared and would flinch so bad they would not be able to pass the test I was just talking about. This not only leaves these people unable to use the gun they carry well but also makes them a hazard if they ever pull the gun and try to use it. Yes I think it is a right to own and carry. That does not mean I am against people who do having to know what the hell they are doing with the tool they chose to carry. This state has all my life been a basically shall issue. They used to make you tell them why you wanted a CPL but even then it was a rubber stamp. Other states make you take some kind of test to get a permit. I think all free people should be able to own and drive a car too but I don't want them doing it without showing they have some idea of how. I know this is not a perfect solution but it's not a perfect world we live in. The worst part is every time a permit holder does something stupid the media loves to go wall to wall with it. Screaming to all who will listen how dangerous it is letting the common folk carry a gun. No training would eliminate this but it would be nice to make it easy for those who want it to get some training.

Hubby and I have to renew our CPL in the next month. We originally got ours for purchasing advantages. We live in Kitsap County and have base priveledges. JBLM has a gun counter in each PX. NB Kitsap does not. Having a WA CPL allows us to purchase and leave with our purchase, instead of having to come back days later. We then looked to joining our local range. It seemed prudent to pay a yearly membership vs. $15.00 per shooter every range trip. Once we both became comfortable with our chosen firearms, we began to carry (open and concealed). We also took the Utah concealed instruction and have that license. I've taken a friend to the range and instructed her with my pistols. Her hubby had bought her a pink snubby in .38. She had been to the range with it, but with no instruction and the gun scared her. She wouldn't use it. She really liked my P238 and after trying it and the P938, she went out and bought her own. She still won't use the 38.

One of the problems as I see it, many salespeople are more interested in getting the sale then they are in whether the buyer knows anything about guns. I have heard so many of them feed a line of Bubblegum to whoever will listen. "Oh you want something to conceal, you should get this little plastic gun. It's so light you won't know it there." They don't care that the little lady has never fired a gun. There are about 4 salespeople in this county whose information I trust. /rant

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Sorry, I know they're in the business of selling, but even a car dealer won't let you test drive without a license.

Hubby and I have to renew our CPL in the next month. We originally got ours for purchasing advantages. We live in Kitsap County and have base priveledges. JBLM has a gun counter in each PX. NB Kitsap does not. Having a WA CPL allows us to purchase and leave with our purchase, instead of having to come back days later. We then looked to joining our local range. It seemed prudent to pay a yearly membership vs. $15.00 per shooter every range trip. Once we both became comfortable with our chosen firearms, we began to carry (open and concealed). We also took the Utah concealed instruction and have that license. I've taken a friend to the range and instructed her with my pistols. Her hubby had bought her a pink snubby in .38. She had been to the range with it, but with no instruction and the gun scared her. She wouldn't use it. She really liked my P238 and after trying it and the P938, she went out and bought her own. She still won't use the 38.

One of the problems as I see it, many salespeople are more interested in getting the sale then they are in whether the buyer knows anything about guns. I have heard so many of them feed a line of Bubblegum to whoever will listen. "Oh you want something to conceal, you should get this little plastic gun. It's so light you won't know it there." They don't care that the little lady has never fired a gun. There are about 4 salespeople in this county whose information I trust. /rant

Didn't mean to go off on a tangent. Sorry, I know they're in the business of selling, but even a car dealer won't let you test drive without a license.

The counter people at shops have been the topic of many rants here. Sadly many of them hardly know which end the bullet comes out on guns. Many of them take a job at a gun shop and anoint themselves "experts" because they work there. Sadly many people new to shooting don't know any better than to assume the person there knows what he is talking about. Many husbands / boyfriends are just as bad. They take the girl to the range and hand her a gun she can't handle and scare her. While back couple next to me was like this. Guy handed girl small large caliber auto. She could not hit the paper at 15 feet. It was easy to see she was scared. I thought about introducing myself and offering the use of my .22 pistols and ammo for her to try. The body language and attitude of the guy told me not to try. That woman will most likely never learn to shoot unless she gets someone other than him to teach her.

Boyfriends and Husbands make the World's WORST teachers for a Lady wishing to learn to drive OR shoot. Very much the same can be said for them Teaching their own Youngsters.:):):)

One range here Wife has been thinking about signing up for does this. To buy a membership you have to pass a test. It consists of you showing them you can safely handle a gun and shoot 10 rounds at a 2' x2' target and keep all 10 rounds on the target at some set distance. I can see no problem with this.

The range wants people to be proficient before they can join, yet, they can't join said range (a place where people go to become proficient with firearms) if they not. Kind of a catch 22 that sounds an awful lot like what was dealt with in Ezell vs City of Chicago: City law required firearms training in a shooting range in order to obtain a gun permit, but banned shooting ranges within the City limits of Chicago.

It sounds like this range doesn't want beginners there, as a beginner won't be proficient enough to join. So, where do those people who can't shoot good enough to join the range go, so that they can learn to shoot good enough to join the range?

Ray

Ray; As we've seen; too many of them have gone off to the Woods and made a mess. Personally, I'd never belong to a Range with that type of restrictions.:)

I don't go to a bank unless I am! :rolleyes: I had to change banks once because of a new posted sign in the door. They called me a month later and I told them they lost my business for good after putting that sign up. ;)

Last bank account I had to close cause they added a new sign 'no shirts, no shoes, no hoody's & no guns' when I went in to ask why, the clerk told me "they added the 'no guns' part cause they were robbed the week before."
I said "don't You see that is even more reason why I need to carry in here?":eek:
Well they didn't see that at all, so I closed my account & went to the next bank down the road

Back in the early 90s, when I still thought I wanted to be a cop, I was asked during an interview if I owned any firearms. I answered in the affirmative and he asked me if they were registered. Huh?
I then proceeded to educate (in a very polite and appropriately deferential way) the good Captain that neither the state I came from or the state I was in required registration. Toss-up on whether he was impressed or just irritated w me.

Epilogue: After jumping through all the hoops, physical, mental, and polygraph tests, I was offered a position at the Academy, which I declined... I was over it. Too bad, I'd be pretty close to retirement now.

I know the state of Washington does not call it registration but when every handgun sold or transfer through an FFL a copy of the buyers name address, serial # and date is sent to the Wa DOL to be entered into their computer system, to me that is registration

I know the state of Washington does not call it registration but when every handgun sold or transfer through an FFL a copy of the buyers name address, serial # and date is sent to the Wa DOL to be entered into their computer system, to me that is registration

Don't forget that before I594, you had to submit a Pistol Transfer Application when ever you bought a handgun.......... but they keep saying that it's not a registration.:rolleyes:

You can also use the Firearms Record Certification Request if you forgot what firearms that you bought, but you need to remember it's not a registration. :rolleyes:

Capture.PNG

I'm with you, if it's not a registration, then I someone needs to explain what really it is.

Ray

Agreed, the state has repeatedly said that there is no pistol registry....:mad: They just do not have a law that "Requires a pistol to be registered"... Yet. Catch 22. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only the sale has to be registered. There is no provision requiring the owner to register the gun per se' like there is in states or countries that actually do have firearms registration. You do not have to prove disposition either. When they come to your door demanding to see all your registered guns you can tell them to pound sand . Dont have them any more nor do you remember where they went.

In the OP's report it seems that they were talking about a CPL that the kid didnt have and the reporter was an idiot.

The primary (and ONLY) purpose of the State form is to check for Stolen Pistols. The forms are checked and if clean they are destroyed. The FFL keeps their copy for 6 years and then it's also destroyed.

What this story was really all about is still an unknown.

I read the story and it appears to have been amended since the OP. It now reads:

"Officers caught up with the combatants at South 19th and Mildred Streets. They spoke to the boyfriend, who told his story and mentioned the gun. Officers noted that the man didn't have a concealed weapon license. The boyfriend said he bought the gun recently from an acquaintance. Officers cited the man for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit, and took charge of it."

This makes much more sense. It seems the boyfriend grabbed the gun initially, but it was never actually in play during the encounter. The boyfriend thought he was doing the right thing by letting the police know he had a gun, which ended up not working out so well for him because he didn't have a CPL. Boyfriend didn't get booked into jail, but he will be given a subpoena to appear in court by mail and his firearm (the evidence of the crime) seized until court proceedings are over. Sucks he tried to do the right thing and even showed good restraint in not using his firearm, but still ended up getting busted over it.

I hadn't seen the update but now it makes more sense. This whole thing could have ended Very badly and that young man is very lucky. There are way too many better things he could/should have done. If someone wants to play Road Rage with you then you should head for the nearest Police Department. In this case grabbing a Gun wasn't anywhere near the right thing to do. Now he's going to have to pay for his stupid actions which is just what the Law is there for.

The range wants people to be proficient before they can join, yet, they can't join said range (a place where people go to become proficient with firearms) if they not. Kind of a catch 22 that sounds an awful lot like what was dealt with in Ezell vs City of Chicago: City law required firearms training in a shooting range in order to obtain a gun permit, but banned shooting ranges within the City limits of Chicago.

It sounds like this range doesn't want beginners there, as a beginner won't be proficient enough to join. So, where do those people who can't shoot good enough to join the range go, so that they can learn to shoot good enough to join the range?

Ray

Since I have never yet been to this particular range I have zero idea what they do if you show up and say you can't safely handle a gun. My guess is they recommend a place to learn. If we do join I will ask someone there how they handle this. At the indoor range I go to I overheard them turn away a couple people over this a while back. They came in wanting to learn and to rent a gun. when they admitted they had never shot they were told no. That guy did give them a list of places to get a class though. Said the "teachers" use their range and would bring them there to finish the class under the instructors supervision. I have no problem with that. I know I would not want to be standing next to someone who had never loaded or fired a gun while they play with it and try to self learn. Just because someone is an adult does not mean I want to be standing there while they try to teach themselves how a firearm they have never handled and have no clue read the instructions and try firing.

Boyfriends and Husbands make the World's WORST teachers for a Lady wishing to learn to drive OR shoot. Very much the same can be said for them Teaching their own Youngsters.:):):)
I have some gray hair that I'm sure started long ago teaching the kids to drive :) I did give up trying to teach Wife to ride a bike though. When I met her she had just bought a little 450 and was saying she was going to take a class. I asked her if she could ride a bicycle? A motor cycle was just a bike with a motor. I started the bike up road it around a little all was fine. She got on and dumped it in the drive. Tried again and got 10 feet and dumped it. I said maybe you should take that class after all. LOL. I guess she wrecked one of the bikes at the class too. After the class she drove down and got her license.
Teaching them to shoot was to me a LOT of fun though. Of course I did not hand the kids or the new Wife when she was girlfriend, a large caliber cannon then laugh at them when it scared them. When I met this Wife I had sold my last .22 so first thing I did with her was go to shop and let her help pick one out to buy. She has a LOT of fun with it. Not so much with larger stuff but I let her choose what to shoot each time she went. The one Daughter took to the big guns like I did as a kid. She loved them.
Youtube is full of video's guys put up of them handing some girl a gun that scares hell out of them, then laughing at the results as if it's a joke. To me this is a moron thing to do if you ever expect them to learn how.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top