JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For anyone who shoots at the place just to let you know since they are saying nothing, range is closed till further notice. 🤬
They of course kept this secret. Went down today to shoot with Father in law and after we get in they mention the range is closed due to "issues". So before driving over to shoot call since they do not know when they will be up and running again.

Oh goody. Just what they need. I used to shoot there a lot and purchased several firearms from them. After the DC Sniper and the AR's that walked away I never returned.

Oh goody. Just what they need. I used to shoot there a lot and purchased several firearms from them. After the DC Sniper and the AR's that walked away I never returned.
I have been shooting there since it opened. When that AR walked I had said for a while they were begging for that. Rifle was kept in a case, unlocked, right next to the damn door. Brian of course lost his FFL over that. Place has long been like me, old and ragged around the edges but I have kept paying for yearly as it was cheap. This really pissed me off to get there with my FIL and find out they are down. There is a nicer range in Lakewood that if they sold memberships I would have one. Think I will stop in their tomorrow to at least give it a try. Still pissed that after a couple years I finally got some days off work and then find out the damn range is closed. 🤬

Fun story,

One day after a shooting session I left there and went down the street to the 76 station (kinda by the Greyhound station IIRC) to get a hot sandwich. I still had my gun on me as it was also my EDC at the time. After I ordered my ham and cheese, the lady went in the back to make it. Two guys walked in and immediately started sizing me up. One walks up and says something like "me and my friend don't have any money and it looks like you do..."
I realized pretty quick they were thinking about getting the jump on me, so I very casually moved my jacket out of the way just a little to expose my piece and said something back like "yeah, I have MY money what's it to you?".

As soon as they got a look at my gun and realized I wasn't someone to be pushed around they left. Before she even came back with my sandwich. :D

I have been shooting there since it opened. When that AR walked I had said for a while they were begging for that. Rifle was kept in a case, unlocked, right next to the damn door. Brian of course lost his FFL over that. Place has long been like me, old and ragged around the edges but I have kept paying for yearly as it was cheap. This really pissed me off to get there with my FIL and find out they are down. There is a nicer range in Lakewood that if they sold memberships I would have one. Think I will stop in their tomorrow to at least give it a try. Still pissed that after a couple years I finally got some days off work and then find out the damn range is closed. 🤬
I shot there for years as a paying member for a long time too.

You got me thinking about that place. I bought an SKS from them, a Bushmaster AR (my first AR) and a Kimber Custom Elite II. In fact, one of the guys there installed an ambi safety on that Kimber while I waited. I really liked that shop.

Fun story,

One day after a shooting session I left there and went down the street to the 76 station (kinda by the Greyhound station IIRC) to get a hot sandwich. I still had my gun on me as it was also my EDC at the time. After I ordered my ham and cheese, the lady went in the back to make it. Two guys walked in and immediately started sizing me up. One walks up and says something like "me and my friend don't have any money and it looks like you do..."
I realized pretty quick they were thinking about getting the jump on me, so I very casually moved my jacket out of the way just a little to expose my piece and said something back like "yeah, I have MY money what's it to you?".

As soon as they got a look at my gun and realized I wasn't someone to be pushed around they left. Before she even came back with my sandwich. :D
It has LONG been a poor part of town to be in. Couple winters back Wife and I went one morning when I was like today, sunny but cold. It was around 20 degrees and when I try to pull in some guy is walking down the sidewalk with no shirt on, waving his arms around and yelling at me as I pull into the parking lot. Wife asks what is going on with him. I said you really need to ask? Then she is looking back saying what if he follows us. That made me laugh. I said by all means let him follow me into the damn shooting range. He did not follow us. Even many of the dopers stoned out of their mind have some common sense. :s0140:

Yep, far as I know Brian still owns the building but of course can't have an FFL. He owns or at least did own the place down the street, Freight house square too. Have heard he is quite the character.

Holy crap. He had 150 missing guns? Sheesh.

Yep, far as I know Brian still owns the building but of course can't have an FFL. He owns or at least did own the place down the street, Freight house square too. Have heard he is quite the character.
I talked to him a couple times when I was a member there. He was always a pretty cool guy to me but I didn't know him super well. He recognized me when I came in, that's about it.

Holy crap. He had 150 missing guns? Sheesh.
Yeah......it wasn't just the AR used in the shootings unfortunately. After that all happened I never went back, honestly all the missing firearms made me lose faith in their business practices.

Yeah......it wasn't just the AR used in the shootings unfortunately. After that all happened I never went back, honestly all the missing firearms made me lose faith in their business practices.
Yep I remember when it hit the fan he didn't even know the gun was missing until the Feds showed up. Then he gave an interview with some local news trying to I guess mitigate the damage. He admitted he had lost several other guns.:eek:
His excuse was they were back then still doing the shows and he said it was not possible to not lose some guns from the table. When I was reading this I remember thinking, dude you are just making this worse the more you talk.
Damn I miss living where I could just drive down the road and shoot. Will see how the range Welchers built years back stacks up when I try them. There is another range in Puyallup that does offer memberships. Will have to try it out too. Have been in the place but never shot there yet. Need to win the lotto so I can buy a place I can shoot on my own property :D

Yep I remember when it hit the fan he didn't even know the gun was missing until the Feds showed up. Then he gave an interview with some local news trying to I guess mitigate the damage. He admitted he had lost several other guns.:eek:
His excuse was they were back then still doing the shows and he said it was not possible to not lose some guns from the table. When I was reading this I remember thinking, dude you are just making this worse the more you talk.
Damn I miss living where I could just drive down the road and shoot. Will see how the range Welchers built years back stacks up when I try them. There is another range in Puyallup that does offer memberships. Will have to try it out too. Have been in the place but never shot there yet. Need to win the lotto so I can buy a place I can shoot on my own property :D
Yea pretty hard to claim 150 guns just snuck out at gun shows. I wonder what the "issues" are for why they are closed. It sounded like from that 2002 article that was the second time he got busted by ATF. Makes one wonder. I know nothing about it personally and that was the first I heard of those serial killers being tied to a tacoma gun shop.

Yea pretty hard to claim 150 guns just snuck out at gun shows. I wonder what the "issues" are for why they are closed. It sounded like from that 2002 article that was the second time he got busted by ATF. Makes one wonder. I know nothing about it personally and that was the first I heard of those serial killers being tied to a tacoma gun shop.
I had forgotten till I went back and read the article again that it was over 200 guns they could not account for. Not sure how many years it took to rack up that many but still, that is amazing he was able to keep his FFL as long as he did. Right now the store is still open so looks like not the ATF this time. I noticed the last few times I was there one side of the range was shut down. So I am guessing something mechanical is wrong. Of course I just last month paid for another year too which if this lasts a while will piss me off even more. 🤬
The one thing they had going for them is they would allow you to practice double and triple taps which most ranges will not. The range I am going to try out in the morning says single shots, min 3 seconds between shots which will suck. Will see when I get there if everyone is actually following that rule or not.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top