JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
According to the an Article - Police Beat - in the News Tribune (Tacoma paper) Sunday the 18th:

"Officers caught up with the combatants at South 19th and Mildred Streets. They spoke to the boyfriend, who told his story and mentioned the gun. Officers noted that it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:wasn't registered. The boyfriend said he bought it recently from an acquaintance. Officers cited the man for carrying an unregistered:eek::eek::eek: gun and took charge of it."

Read more here: Police beat: Dog-shaming, a couple going down together, and slow-motion road rage

Frankly, I've never heard of Tacoma or any other City in Washington - including Seattle - having a Registration Law. So, this article simply doesn't make any sense to me. I've lived in WA most of my life and I've NEVER heard of such a thing. Can anybody enlighten me???

My bet is they are talking about the BGC/etc. laws (note the part about the owner stating he bought it recently), and that the media is reporting it for what it is (for once): de-facto registration.

Take note: do not talk to the police. Keep your mouth shut until you get a lawyer.

Last Edited:
According to the an Article - Police Beat - in the News Tribune (Tacoma paper) Sunday the 18th:

"Officers caught up with the combatants at South 19th and Mildred Streets. They spoke to the boyfriend, who told his story and mentioned the gun. Officers noted that it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:wasn't registered. The boyfriend said he bought it recently from an acquaintance. Officers cited the man for carrying an unregistered:eek::eek::eek: gun and took charge of it."

Read more here: Police beat: Dog-shaming, a couple going down together, and slow-motion road rage

Frankly, I've never heard of Tacoma or any other City in Washington - including Seattle - having a Registration Law. So, this article simply doesn't make any sense to me. I've lived in WA most of my life and I've NEVER heard of such a thing. Can anybody enlighten me???
Bad link.

EDIT: The story is 3/4 of the way down the page and labeled Jan 20.

I could see a charge for carrying concealed, or maybe this could be an actual 594 case. Who knows...

Last Edited:
My bet is they are talking about the BGC/etc. laws (not the part about the owner stating he bought it recently), and that the media is reporting it for what it is (for once): de-facto registration.

Take note: do not talk to the police. Keep your mouth shut until you get a lawyer.
Same here. AFAIK there is no such thing. The entire story sounds a LOT like there was more to this story than the paper is printing here too. One thing to remember is the person writing these stories often knows nothing of guns. So there is no way to know what the gun owner was really "cited for" trusting some story like this.
The woman who was being chased called her boyfriend and then stopped at a store? Never called 911 during all this? The boyfriend telling her to leave and he would keep the guy busy with his gun? If even 30% of this is how it happened I can see why the Cops might want to take the gun from him but who the hell knows what really happened here.

I don't know about WA BGC, but in Orygun (similar BGC law), it is mostly (if not all) on the seller if you transfer a firearm without the BGC process, so I am not sure either exactly what they are talking about.

I agree with regards to the reporting - they usually are clueless.

So many people, including gun owners, just assume that there is an official registration process, not a de-facto one. I kind of doubt the Tacoma police have street access to the BGC records/etc. necessary to arrest someone for violation of the transfer laws - yet - so I too am a little curious as to what the actual charges were.

This news page reads more like a blog than a real news article - a bit tongue in cheek - so I doubt the "reporter" does due diligence when writing it (if newspapers ever do).

I would go with :

The reporter and people involved do not know or fully understand the firearms laws in Washington state...
The common misunderstanding of just what a BGC really means or entails...
Along with the time honored phrase : "I heard..."
Or If something is repeated enough it must be true...
And hearing /seeing what you want to hear or see.. Not what was actually said , written , or done...
Any and all of these can really trip you up in regards to what the laws actually state and or mean...not to forget to mention making for bad reporting.

All that said...One could make the argument that since the Federal form for a firearm purchase includes the make , model and serial number of a given firearm, that , that in itself , is a form of "registry" .
Andy

I would go with :

The reporter and people involved do not know or fully understand the firearms laws in Washington state...
The common misunderstanding of just what a BGC really means or entails...
Along with the time honored phrase : "I heard..."
Or If something is repeated enough it must be true...
And hearing /seeing what you want to hear or see..not what was actually said , written , or done...
Any and all of these can really trip you up in regards to what the laws actually state and or mean...not to forget to make for bad reporting.

All that said...One could make the argument that since the Federal form for a firearm purchase includes the make , model and serial number of a given firearm, that , that in itself a form of "registry" .
Andy

Many LEOs do not understand the law either - so it is quite possible that the arresting officer made a mistake.

Beyond that, the difference between the 4473 and WA/OR state BGC laws, is that the former is not required for private transfers in states that don't have BGC laws for private transfers, and that makes the BGC law a very effective de-facto registration law, whereas sans BGC, federal law does not require a 4473 for a private transfer, make it more or less ineffective for that purpose, especially since a person can later claim they sold the firearm privately - giving them plausible deniability as to possession when confiscation time comes.

Many LEOs do not understand the law either - so it is quite possible that the arresting officer made a mistake.

Beyond that, the difference between the 4473 and WA/OR state BGC laws, is that the former is not required for private transfers in states that don't have BGC laws for private transfers, and that makes the BGC law a very effective de-facto registration law, whereas sans BGC, federal law does not require a 4473 for a private transfer, make it more or less ineffective for that purpose, especially since a person can later claim they sold the firearm privately - giving them plausible deniability as to possession when confiscation time comes.

I listened in on an "interesting" conversation one day like this. Woman at a bank for some reason felt the need to tell the person she was working with about an account that she had a gun in her purse. She had a CPL. So bank calls Cops who show up. LEO checks, all checks out. So he gets on the air to ask a supervisor if this customer has broken some law. Supervisor seems to not know and it gets tossed up to a Lieutenant before someone tells the LEO at the bank to go find a better way to waste time. All I could think of while listening to this is what the hell is so hard about this?

I can only imagine you read that and the blood started to boil. I am guessing that Andy hit the nail on the head.

I can only imagine you read that and the blood started to boil. I am guessing that Andy hit the nail on the head.
Yep; I sure wasn't happy. Pretty much the only thing that I guess is that the Boyfriend had the Pistol "Concealed" when talking about the Road Rage and then he didn't have a CPL. But then that would be more than a simple "Citation" offence. I dropped a note to the reporter but I have little hope that I'll hear anything back.

Yes sadly there is no test to get a CPL here. That 2 LEO's who do have to pass a few tests to get that job and were clueless bothered me a whole lot more.
The bank may have thought she was making a threat. No idea why she felt the need to tell a bank employee (possible snowflake?) she was carrying unless she was trying to intimidate or just an Idiot. Situational awareness covers many things, including what you say and to whom. The LEOs may have just been covering themselves.

I assumed the customer was one of the many women I have met who a husband bought a gun for. First LEO ran her and she was good. He was asking a supervisor (SGT) if it was legal to cc in a bank. Bad enough he had to ask. Worse the supervisor also did not know. Not till a LT overheard this comedy routine was first LEO told to find something to do in his job description. Makes me wonder what they're teaching in the academy these days.

I assumed the customer was one of the many women I have met who a husband bought a gun for. First LEO ran her and she was good. He was asking a supervisor (SGT) if it was legal to cc in a bank. Bad enough he had to ask. Worse the supervisor also did not know. Not till a LT overheard this comedy routine was first LEO told to find something to do in his job description. Makes me wonder what they're teaching in the academy these days.

I don't go to a bank unless I am! :rolleyes: I had to change banks once because of a new posted sign in the door. They called me a month later and I told them they lost my business for good after putting that sign up. ;)

Yes sadly there is no test to get a CPL here.
Not sure what is sad about not having to pass a test to excercise a right?? Perhaps the "reporter" should have to pass a test before being allowed access to a keyboard??

That 2 LEO's who do have to pass a few tests to get that job and were clueless bothered me a whole lot more.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top