JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at Cabela's today checking out a piece I was thinking of getting. After 5 mins, my number was called. A guy came over, told him I would like to see this pistol in the showcase. He took it out, safety check it and show me the chamber was empty. Before he handed me the pistol, muzzle was pointed me, then as he handed me the firearm, the muzzle now pointed directly at the guy standing next to me. First thing came to my mind, these guys should know better, right? They are supposed to be experienced with handling firearms especially in a gun shop. When I was done looking at it, I put it down, making sure the muzzle was pointed at a safe direction, the guy pick it up and again pointed the pistol at me again. As he was fiddling with the pistol to put it back in the shelf, he again pointed the muzzle at me and the guy next to me again. Where is the common sense here. Comes to find out he was new. Just started 2 weeks ago.

Just Who says they're experienced??? From what I've seen they're simply the minimum wage yo-yo you will find working behind any retail counter. It would be nice if they could do more than feel rain and hear thunder but it doesn't seem to be that way. Especially at Cabela's.

Never good to be looking at the muzzle end of a firearm...
I do agree with the idea of saying something either to the sales clerk or a manager type...
Far too many folks get complacent when at a shop or show...since we all know that the guns for sale are never loaded. :eek::rolleyes:

I say this kinda snarky ...'cause once upon a time when working at a pawn shop we had a spate of guns that were on the for sale shelves that had rounds loaded in them at random times...:eek:
Luckily everyone who worked there always cleared a gun before showing it to a customer and also practiced muzzle and trigger finger discipline.
Andy

I was at NW Armory a few years back, looking at some pistols. The guy behind the counter pulled out the one I wanted to look at, made sure it was unloaded and handed it to me, at which point I double checked it was unloaded. As I'm checking it out, I'm aware that the store is very busy - people in every direction. I wanted to line up the sights to get a feel for the sight picture. I picked a spot in the store away from people, made sure no one was there and lifted the gun to look at the sights as I pointed at a shelf on the wall. While I was looking at the sights, another employee, head down in his phone, walked right in front of the muzzle, which I immediately dropped. I told the employee helping me he needed to tell his co-worker not to do that, he said he would.

I'm not a big fan of busy gun stores for this reason. I've been swept more than a few times, it's surprising how many folks get so complacent just because they're handling a gun in a gun store.

I was at Cabela's today checking out a piece I was thinking of getting. After 5 mins, my number was called. A guy came over, told him I would like to see this pistol in the showcase. He took it out, safety check it and show me the chamber was empty. Before he handed me the pistol, muzzle was pointed me, then as he handed me the firearm, the muzzle now pointed directly at the guy standing next to me. First thing came to my mind, these guys should know better, right? They are supposed to be experienced with handling firearms especially in a gun shop. When I was done looking at it, I put it down, making sure the muzzle was pointed at a safe direction, the guy pick it up and again pointed the pistol at me again. As he was fiddling with the pistol to put it back in the shelf, he again pointed the muzzle at me and the guy next to me again. Where is the common sense here. Comes to find out he was new. Just started 2 weeks ago.
I started a thread a few months ago about the same thing called gun store safety but my sales person didn't even check the the gun just took it out of the case and hands it to me at a pawn shop

No excuse...."plenty of unloaded" FA have killed people.
Most accidental shootings happen with "unloaded" firearms. Statistical fact.
I know hyperbole is effective for making a point, but it should never become doctrine.

It is impossible for an unloaded gun to discharge.

Follow the four rules, demand that others do the same; accidents are entirely avoidable.

I started a thread a few months ago about the same thing called gun store safety but my sales person didn't even check the the gun just took it out of the case and hands it to me at a pawn shop
I'm of the opinion that a pawn shop and a Gunshop should Never be remotely considered the same.

I know hyperbole is effective for making a point, but it should never become doctrine.

It is impossible for an unloaded gun to discharge.

Follow the four rules, demand that others do the same; accidents are entirely avoidable.

However "unloaded" guns do discharge, and there lies the rub.

Most accidental shootings happen with "unloaded" firearms. Statistical fact.
Most accidental shootings happen with "assumed" unloaded firearms:(.
Even so, if I can see more than a half inch of the inside of a bore, while someone else is holding it,Alarms, Warning Horns and Red Lights start going off like a criticality at a nuke plant.
The bad thing about your encounter is, if the buyer is a newbie, they can assume the same protocol is ok after their purchase. Just me:eek:.

However "unloaded" guns do discharge, and there lies the rub.
Would you like to bet on that? I'll put up $1,000 that says no unloaded gun has ever discharged. If you can post even a single credible story of an unloaded gun going off, I'll pay you. If you cannot, you pay me. Deal? OK, go. I'll give you 48 hours. ;)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews