JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we've all seen them; totally incorrect, but oft repeated, gun myths that simply refuse to die, despite overwhelming, demonstrable, and documented evidence to the contrary. They may be in the area of ballistics, mechanical properties, war stories, history, legal issues, or just plain old bullplop.

What are some you often encounter? Any a pet peeve? Do you bother countering them anymore? Enjoy! :s0155:

Guns kill people!

1565484998477.png

A few come to mind:

• If you have registered NFA items (gasp!) the ATF can come into your home whenever they want to see them! Reality: Total horsecrap. They need a warrant to enter and search your home, just like anything else.
  • Birdshot is a good choice for home defense shotgun ammo, because it won't go through walls, but will stop the bad guy like a laser-blast. Reality: Bulldink. It will rip through some building materials, but lacks the penetration to stop an aggressor.
  • If you have an 03FFL (C&R), the ATF can come in and look at all your guns! Reality: Utter hogwash. They can look at the guns in your bound book; no less, no more.
  • M1 ping was a serious problem during the war. Reality: Even though studied, there is no evidence enemy Axis soldiers really took advantage of said. It should be obvious that in the raucous clamor of war, no one, good guy or bad, took notice of a light metallic "ping".
  • Becoming an FFL is super hard and requires a third party guide. Reality: Basic reading comprehension, a little patience, the willingness to put up with some governmental interaction and incompetence, and it is easy as pie.
  • Interstate transfer of guns must go from one FFL to another FFL. Reality: Nope, as long as the receiver is an FFL, it is fine. Been that way for over a half century.
  • You can build a machine-gun, as long as it is for your own use, and don't sell it. Reality: Mother of God, no! You're looking a serious time in Federal PMITA prison, a huge fine, an end to your firearms rights forever.
  • Hi-Points don't suck. Reality: (teehee) That was a joke; lighten up, Francis. I don't like them, but more power to anyone who does.
:p

Mainstream media and some social media sources would have us believe that most of the perpetrators of mass shootings, 4 or more victims in a public place not including the shooter, are mostly white males. This simply is not true.

There is a meme circulating on the internet which shows most mug shots of those accused so far in 2019. Even Snopes has to agree on its accuracy though they do comment on the definition of a mass shooting.

The meme can be viewed along with the Snopes commentary here... Does a Meme Show the Faces of Suspected Mass Shooters in U.S. in 2019?

Joe13 beat me to my hands down favorite. Both the can't miss with a shoty and the large caliber will send a man flying across the room. The second one I used to regularly prove to people was totally false. Just shoot a bag of sand. Many of them had it so ingrained in their mind that they did not want to believe what I was showing them.

I can't seem to find the video from a couple decades ago, but Chuck Schumer stating that a semi-auto can be converted easily to full-auto with a, quote, "paper-clip". :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top