JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anybody here have any good (and safe) recipes for gun lubes that has been working for them? I am thinking of experimenting with some of the recipes I have been seeing on the various gun forums. My only concern is that some of these auto part or lubricants for various applications may contain certain chemicals harmful to the longevity or polymer parts of my firearms. For example, one guy on a forum who works in the oil industry warned people against using Marvel Mystery Oil on guns as it contains "Chlorine (not Chloride)" and can result in the formation of Hydrochloric acid that can damage the guns over time. I'm wondering what simple and cheap lube recipes people have come up with that they have verified are safe for use on their AR and polymer framed semi auto pistols?

As of now, it seems a Synthetic ATF oil (less gnarly smell than ATF such as Dextron) mixed with a 10w30 oil, maybe cut down with a bit of Canola etc are pretty popular. I've also seen people who have used Marvel Mystery Oil and STP in their gun lube recipes. I'm really not sure which ones are the best to try as I have only used store bought lubes so far. I don't want anything risky, overly toxic or with a real gnarly smell. As much praise as I see for ATF fluid, I see plenty of others who cannot tolerate the smell. I have heard the synthetic ATF fluid has much of the benefits of the non-synthetic, but without the horrible smell.

I like my Slip 2000 and it keeps my AR bolts wetter than Break Free for same amount of usage, but its damn expensive. I am wondering what safer alternatives I can try. It would be interesting to hear the suggestions of those with some time tested recipes they have "personally" used.

I'm pretty wary of oils like STP or MMO. Some people on forums even went as far to say they use things like acetone in their mixtures.. Obviously, that could be damaging to my ARs and poly framed guns. I guess I am looking for some posts from the wise here.. :)

Last Edited:
Best Ive found so far is Shell Aero Fluid 18....ya, not a "recipe", but a gallon can will last you the rest of your life. Meets mil spec for MG lube and has corrosion prohibitors. Been using it for years with great results, dont need much and it "creeps" amazingly well.

Step 1. Go to auto parts store

Step 2. Purchase tub of Mobil 1 Synthetic grease

Step 3. Use said grease for firearm lubrication purposes

Step 4. Return to auto parts store in 10 years when you run out

What would you think about a Molybdenum grease?

hahahaha

Thanks! I needed a laugh today!

:s0140:

The guy at the gun store warned me that the chemicals in the Mobil 1 synthetic oils will destroy or damage my gun after long term use. Considering he makes money selling gun lubes I can only raise my eyebrow at his claim. Although, I do know after doing some research that, indeed, some oils people are using in their guns do have the potential to damage them as they contain certain chemicals unfriendly for use in firearms. The above example of the Marvel Mystery oil, which contains chlorine and overtime will rot your guns as it produces Hydrochloric acid.

Anyway, any opinions about any unfriendly chemicals in synthetic oils, like 10w30, ATF, etc that can cause long term problems in your guns? I would like to debunk the guy at the gun stores claims, as I know these gun lubes are not magical and probably contain many similar ingredients. However, the only advantage of gun lubes I can see is that the ingredients they contain would not have adverse effects on firearms in the long term , as they have been tested and do not have any of potentially damaging chemicals that may be in some oils used for auto part applications.

Follow the technical manual that comes w/ your firearm.

Whatever you choose; let it be heavy-enough to coat the metal, but light-enough that sand or other large chunks of debris will not stick to it.

I've used CLP, Breakfree, Rem Oil, 5-W20 full synthetic, 30wt., graphite, and even the burn packets (petrolium jelly), from a media's aid bag (who's rifle needed the lube), on all kinds of military weapon systems.

Arguably, a newer F/A would require more lube (during the break in period) than a worn F/A.

A hunting situation would require a lighter type and coat of oil than would a range scenario with rapid fire is occurring.

Without inhaling the odor, I could not tell the difference.

Look up reid hendricks on youtube (valor ridge i think), he just posted a step by step on breaking down and cleaning/lubing an AR. He uses automotive bearing grease I believe.

I havnt tried it yet. I just use the hoppes performance oil, bbut i rarely shoot more then 500 rounds in a given day at the range and tend to clean when I get home so greese seems excesive to me.

BUT, id take the word of a trainer who sees guns fail or work regularly over mine.

Edit: I also use an air compressor to blow the oil into all of the crevices - I wouldnt be able to fo that with greese.

I have used Breakfree CLP on M60 machine guns, M16 rifles, 1911A1 and Beretta 92F pistols , and all my other weapons. All from duty in the jungles, duty in European forests and cities, and out and about in the civilian world.

I have never had a single solitary negative issue with it.

I have used Breakfree CLP on M60 machine guns, M16 rifles, 1911A1 and Beretta 92F pistols , and all my other weapons. All from duty in the jungles, duty in European forests and cities, and out and about in the civilian world.

I have never had a single solitary negative issue with it.

Just bought a bottle of some Break Free.. Never hurts to have it around. However, I am still eager to find cheaper and possibly more effective alternatives.. I've never liked Break Free for its lube potential, it works, but it tends to dry out quickly in my ARs and my ARs don't like running dry. Although, as a quick and easy CLP it is good to have.

I will need to spend some time reading the article F2CMadMaxx posted in detail.. It looks very interesting.

I love gun lube articles. It demonstrates how well the manufacturers have mucked up the information to the point consumers are seriously worried that they need to spend hundreds of dollars on specialty lubes.

Let's brainstorm. Think of a device you probably use daily. Think about the conditions it goes through and the mileage it might get on a lubrication basis. Think of the rotations it may go through, the heat. Then think about the materials that machine is made of and how similar they are to guns.

That machine is your engine. That device is your vehicle. It to burns a carbon based fuel and has carbon based residues. It goes through hellish torture daily. It probably only gets its lube looked at once and a while or changed every so many months.

My point is guns are made of steel, aluminum, or some other metal. Plastic or wood in there too.

I use a synthetic 0w20 car oil for all my guns. I get it in 5 quart jugs for about 20 dollars. I have yet to use 1/4 of it in roughly 4 years.

I buy this in normal calk gun size tube from Bearings Inc. (they are now applied mechanical or something I think.)

It is a food grade high temp lubricant for food processing machinery and designed to not wash off even with detergent.

I have tried hundreds of lubes around saltwater and this is the only one that stays persistent and lubes at high temp and cycling rates. A very thin film is all that is needed and

around marine environments it is better than corrosion block.

Lubriplate "SFL" NLGI #0 grease (their "FGL"is 2nd best.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR