JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Henry Big Boy - smoothing out the action somewhat. Pivot screw at the trigger guard is very torque-sensitive; light enough to make a quick action is too loose and tightening it up makes for a very stiff throw. I do break it down to clean it so locktite is not an option I want to look at quite yet. Thinking teflon washers but they would be thin enough to rip under the stress of 50+ rounds at my range. Moly-graph works ok, but squeezes out as the action is worked. Any ideas? Thoughts? Random abuse?

I don't know exactly what you are looking for - smoother or tighter action? Every lever action I own (including a BB .357) has a little free play in the lever when opening and then tight when closed (one thing I really like about the Henry is the ball detent for the lever - great improvement) Anyway the design will not allow for a movement free lever when opening. I would continue using the moly-graph but don't over tighten the pivot screw. You do not want to pinch the pivot dogs on the lever and cause it to to 'drag' in the frame. If the screw comes loose when operating the lever use some green locktite and clean around the pivot area instead of removing the screw during your cleaning sessions.

Seems like a flaw in the design that could be addressed with a spacer
It's not necessarily a 'flaw' in the design. It was not designed for 'machine' tight fitment at this point. I suspect one could cut some shims out of very thin brass shim stock to improve the fit but this is not something teflon 'washers' or a 'spacer'could be used as it would only accomodate a shim of a couple thou in thickness .

Might tighten the lever so it has the stiff throw you mentioned ... then work the rifles action while you watch a few John Wayne or Clint Eastwood westerns to "breaks it in" ... so to speak.
Or I suppose you could tighten it and just shoot it till breaks in...
Andy

Ya really don't want to tighten the pivot dogs to 'snug' the fit between them and the lever. It could cause 'galling' of the brass pivot point with premature wear and make the problem worse. This is a point where screw set is obtained by bottoming the the screw with maybe a one more slightly 'enthusiastic' turn of the screwdriver to get maybe an additional 'skip' of the screw but that's it.

Then the screw will bottom out? It doesn't look that way on mine, hence the issue. I may have to take RVTECH's advice re: locktite and accept the design as is, considering the alternative would be potentially damaging the action and I really love this rifle. Looks like moly-graph and locktite. Thank you all for your considerable insight and knowledge!

Hate to state the obvious, but have you considered calling tech support at Henry?
Probably good advice as I THINK there has been an issue with some of the BB lever mount pivots not being machined correctly and the problem you mention is similar to what some have described on the Henry forum. If I recall some were sent NEW lever mounts.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top