JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They're going to share? Let the two of them work it out. Anything would be better than nothing and what they will actually practice with is better than something intimidating that they won't use.

First off,don't get it all twisted around with black bears. You shoot them in the butt with a 22 and they'll scoot out the yard. Why would they want to kill the thing,anyway?

I live in a senior center,Sequim. Yes the whole town is OLD.
And semi autos are not the going gun around here. I work part time and spend a lot of time at the local shop. These people just can't rack the slide on a regular semi auto.
So first off see if they can ,in fact rack a round in the chamber.
So many of them have such weak wrists.

Then like anyone else,see what FITS THEIR HAND BEST so they can bring the gun to target easily
Remember,if they can't shoot a 357 it ain't gunna do them a bit of good. But if they can shoot the lowly 22 and put 10 rounds in a guys heart,then what should they be shooting?

The little pop up barrel semis are big here along with the venerable snubby

Pump 12 gauge and a "lowly" .22 pistol might be in that budget, if you get them used. Or a relatively nice pistol and bear spray. Either way take them to the store and have them fondle to their hearts content.

Sent from my Typewriter using my Fingers

My recommendation for them would be the LCR. The trigger assembly uses a friction reducing cam that results in a non-stacking trigger pull. Basically the hardest part of the trigger pull for the elderly is that initial point when the trigger finger is nearly extended. As the finger pulls in you gain leverage and it becomes easier. The hurdle is that first motion and the Ruger LCR seems to tackle that in my opinion. I've dried fired several and it worked as advertised.

Of course you would have to let your parents try it...... unfortunately it's over your budget point, but worth considering if you can sell some bodily fluids in the mean time to make some extra cash.

I am over 65 and carry everyday...have for years. I own and shoot several different pistols of several different calibers, and my wife shoots her .22, but not mine. Different pistols fit different people. The proper pistol is the one you can shoot the best, not some particular caliber or style.

I have arthritis in my hands and wrists. Yes, pulling the slide back on some pistols can be painful. Strength I still have, but the pain is enough I am giving my CZ52 to our 4th daughter when she comes over for memorial day. She wants it for protection when hiking. That old CZ52 will do everything you asked for, for the price they want to pay, (about $250.00) but it does kick and because it is a powerful round (7.62X28) the slide is stiff if you have arthritis, and it does have an 8lb trigger.

I'm really would caution suggesting something like the CZ52 as a starter pistol though...a good .22 or .22mag would be much better as an entry gun even if a .22 is only going to scare a bear at best, make him mad at worst. I know a CZ52 will scare a bear away...I've done that. I also know that come push to shove, given the correct ammo, it would probably also kill a bear if absolutely necessary, but bears scare fairly easily and I have no desire to clean a bear carcass, so scare is what I go for, One round into the base of a nearby tree and they stop raiding the dog food and run. That is all I care about.

That said, whatever they shoot the best...that is the gun for them, even if it is a .22lr or a .22 mag. If they like a .45, or a 9mm, that is good, .357 mag and .44 mag, even in good revolvers are not starter guns. I also own some good wheel guns, SA, DA and SA/DA...however a good wheel gun will be a lot more than $200-$400 these days,

Best thing in the world from someone that grow up in Alaska is whistling bottle rockets and dogs . Bears hate this more then anything . Its like cats and dogs and oil and water ect .

My recommendation for them would be the LCR. The trigger assembly uses a friction reducing cam that results in a non-stacking trigger pull. Basically the hardest part of the trigger pull for the elderly is that initial point when the trigger finger is nearly extended. As the finger pulls in you gain leverage and it becomes easier. The hurdle is that first motion and the Ruger LCR seems to tackle that in my opinion. I've dried fired several and it worked as advertised.
Of course you would have to let your parents try it...... unfortunately it's over your budget point, but worth considering if you can sell some bodily fluids in the mean time to make some extra cash.

Agree. The 357 LCR is a great gun with an incredibly light trigger for a revolver. I keep mine loaded with 38 Special +P ammo for defense. I have no idea how it would work against bears.

Thanks for all the great input/feedback. Will review all this info with my parents and figure out what direction they want to take. I've never really thought of them as "elderly," as they are fairly active and get around good, but I do think getting to a range to try stuff and see what works is a good idea. Thanks everyone!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top