JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Initiative Petition 43 UPDATE

Many of you already heard the Secretary of State received 1,060 objections to the proposed ballot title for IP43 as written by Attorney General. Everyone of those objections have been sent to the Attorney General's Office where she is required by law to review them then either amend the ballot title accordingly or defy every objection by certifying the proposed ballot title as is. She has until May 23rd to certify the ballot title.

Once the AG submits the CERTIFIED ballot to the Secretary of State those who filed an objection has standing with the Supreme Court and will have 10 business days (until June 6th) to challenge the certified ballot title to the Supreme Court.

I know of six organizations and/or lawyers who are ready to file a challenge with the court. I also plan to file an appeal before the June 6th deadline. I will pay the filing fee ($481) then notify the Secretary of State's Office that I filed notification is simply submitting this form (http://sos.oregon.gov/elections/Documents/SEL324.pdf)

It's important to note there is no set timeline requirement as to when the Supreme Court must take up the filed appeals and issue a ruling whether the certified ballot title must be rewritten based on the objections submitted or let the certified language stand.

According to the Statesman Journal it normally takes between 2 - 6 months for the court to take up an appeal, anything sooner would be highly unusual. Then again the Supreme Court Justices are all far left anti-gunners so they may want to see IP43 on the November ballot and expedite the appeals process.

Here is why it was so important to have so many filed objections submitted to the Elections Division. The court must consider every filed objection and take them all in consideration before making a ruling. And until the Court makes a ruling the Petitioners are barred from gathering signatures as a result the Elections Division will not issue the Petitioners the official state signature gathering sheets! BIG KUDOS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE TIME TO SUBMIT AN OBJECTION.

The best we can hope for is the July 6th deadline for submitting 88,184 signatures will pass before the court even takes up the appeal! And even if the Court expedites the appeal review the backers of IP43 will likely have (best case) less than ~ two and a half weeks to gather 88,184. And based on the average fallout of non-registered voters signing the petition they will need to submit around 120,000 signatures. That why even the Chief Petitioner was recently quoted as saying, "it will take a miracle" and I say God does not grant miracles to those who are attempting to mislead voters!

For anyone who may be interested in filing their own appeal with the court I will post the process in the comment section of this post.

More updates as the initiative petition process plays out.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top