JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many very "liberal" people are also very pro-2A rights. Most of my friends, especially the younger college crowd, identify themselves as Democrats due to social policies, yet carry pistols regularly and are very protective of their AR-15s.

Fifteen years ago the college crowd in my area seemed fairly anti-gun. That's not the case anymore. The number of young people I'm seeing at gun shows, the range, and debating the merits of the AR-15 vs the AK-47 on (an extremely liberal) campus is staggering to me. Yet they are still pretty liberal on most other metrics one would measure liberal vs conservative.

I'm not surprised an otherwise liberal activist campus would be welcoming to local expansion of the gun industry.

Many very "liberal" people are also very pro-2A rights. Most of my friends, especially the younger college crowd, identify themselves as Democrats due to social policies, yet carry pistols regularly and are very protective of their AR-15s.

Fifteen years ago the college crowd in my area seemed fairly anti-gun. That's not the case anymore. The number of young people I'm seeing at gun shows, the range, and debating the merits of the AR-15 vs the AK-47 on (an extremely liberal) campus is staggering to me. Yet they are still pretty liberal on most other metrics one would measure liberal vs conservative.

I'm not surprised an otherwise liberal activist campus would be welcoming to local expansion of the gun industry.

Maybe.

In my experience in the workplace the general sentiment is more or less the opposite.

I no longer bring up the subject after witnessing several people be first on the list of layoffs for discussing their gun ownership at work, but sometimes others bring it up and the majority of the middle class moderates seem to be in favor of "common sense" gun control laws - i.e., banning "assault weapons", etc.

For the most part I keep my mouth shut in such conversations because I learned that not only are such people not receptive in any way to logical arguments to the contrary (their minds already being closed to any possibility that they are wrong) and therefore it is a waste of time and effort, but worse, if you debate them on the subject, no matter how low key you try to keep it you are labeled a "gun nut" and therefore a possible workplace threat, at which point you are placed on the short list for being laid off when the time comes, if not sooner.

Until such time as I no longer am vulnerable to such discrimination, i.e., when I am ready to retire or close to it, I will keep my mouth shut.

I have met very few liberals who are not also anti-gun in that "common-sense" manner, and even most "moderates". It does me no good to identify myself as very libertarian individual who believes a citizen should own any weapon that the government owns, , including tanks, grenades, rocket launchers, etc., short of NBC weapons (and those should be banned period).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top