JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't have any of that fancy aero shell grease I see people suggest for the barrel nut when building a rifle. Will any grease do? Or do I need to use a specific type of grease to keep the threads from seizing? What are your recommendations?

Actually it is a grease with good anti corrosion properties. It is basically a lithium based grease with moly added . Used extensively for general aircraft lubrication. Probably would have helped that jack screw thingy on that Mac Douglas plane that crashed in the ocean.:(

I use ARP ultra torque assembly lube. You can tell me there is better assembly lube and I wont believe you.

No reason to ever torque a barrel nut to more than 40 lbf-ft anyway

I have been tempted to use this Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) - 21030, but as long as my little tub of aeroshell holds up I probably will just keep using it. I believe it is the high temp/washout and corrosion resistant properties that make aeroshell work well. Superlube is dielectric so no corrosion between dissimilar metals and it has good temp and washout resistance. I use it on all my electronics plug connections on my boat and also on the propshaft. It works well.

Several upper builds, some of them already taken apart and rebarreled, I use moly bearing grease or high pressure bearing grease (red stuff). With an upper, I don't put it together thinking I'll be taking it apart. The upper wears too. If I need to replace a barrel, the whole show is going at today's prices. Maybe different in the future.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews