JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Several upper builds, some of them already taken apart and rebarreled, I use moly bearing grease or high pressure bearing grease (red stuff). With an upper, I don't put it together thinking I'll be taking it apart. The upper wears too. If I need to replace a barrel, the whole show is going at today's prices. Maybe different in the future.

Doesn't need to be a barrel, might just be a handguard change that uses a proprietary barrel nut.

Last Edited:
Another different but still timely point of view. Dry. No lube whatever. Torque to 40 to 42 compensated foot pounds with perfect gas tube alignment. Takes time but is easy. Old school. Be sure to deck/surface the upper.

hundreds of builds.

I don't have any of that fancy aero shell grease I see people suggest for the barrel nut when building a rifle. Will any grease do? Or do I need to use a specific type of grease to keep the threads from seizing? What are your recommendations?
I've use high temp lithium grease used for bearings and it's worked fine. By worked fine, I mean to say that I've put several thousands of rounds through after installation and removed the barrel and nut and swapped the barrel with no galling of sorts. Avoid any type of anti seize that would cause galling between a steel barrel nut and aluminum receiver. If you can get your hands on Aeroshell 33MS, that is a sure bet.

I've use high temp lithium grease used for bearings and it's worked fine. By worked fine, I mean to say that I've put several thousands of rounds through after installation and removed the barrel and nut and swapped the barrel with no galling of sorts. Avoid any type of anti seize that would cause galling between a steel barrel nut and aluminum receiver. If you can get your hands on Aeroshell 33MS, that is a sure bet.
Would something like white lithium grease work?

How do you do this?
Take a look at the second picture in first post of this thread

But seriously, WTF! I have built dozens over the last twenty five years, used all kinds of lube , sometimes none at all. AS LONG AS IT'S TIGHT IT'S NOT CRITICAL. AR truly does stand for anal retentive, maybe they should be called OCD 15's.

If you look, the mandrel tool fits tight in the upper to hold the lapping surface square to the axis of the upper. Apply some lube to the portion of tool in upper and lapping compound to the face of the upper at the barrel end and turn lathe on at low rpm and apply gentle pressure to other end of upper. Check and repeat until finish has been barely taken to bare aluminum on front face off receiver. This can also be accomplished by hand or with a hand drill.

Last Edited:
I have used loctite, red bearing grease, oil. Pulled apart quite a few builds, worst case had to smoke em with a torch. :eek:

I'll get the right stuff for next time but not too worried about it.

All my guns are trash anyway.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top