JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't have any of that fancy aero shell grease I see people suggest for the barrel nut when building a rifle. Will any grease do? Or do I need to use a specific type of grease to keep the threads from seizing? What are your recommendations?

Actually it is a grease with good anti corrosion properties. It is basically a lithium based grease with moly added . Used extensively for general aircraft lubrication. Probably would have helped that jack screw thingy on that Mac Douglas plane that crashed in the ocean.:(

I use ARP ultra torque assembly lube. You can tell me there is better assembly lube and I wont believe you.

No reason to ever torque a barrel nut to more than 40 lbf-ft anyway

I have been tempted to use this Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease with Syncolon® (PTFE) - 21030, but as long as my little tub of aeroshell holds up I probably will just keep using it. I believe it is the high temp/washout and corrosion resistant properties that make aeroshell work well. Superlube is dielectric so no corrosion between dissimilar metals and it has good temp and washout resistance. I use it on all my electronics plug connections on my boat and also on the propshaft. It works well.

Several upper builds, some of them already taken apart and rebarreled, I use moly bearing grease or high pressure bearing grease (red stuff). With an upper, I don't put it together thinking I'll be taking it apart. The upper wears too. If I need to replace a barrel, the whole show is going at today's prices. Maybe different in the future.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top