JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys. I may be getting into my first 1911 this week. It's a rock island m1a sub compact. I know it's cheaper, but it's my first and I don't know if I'm going to like it. That aside, I'm curious what upgrades you could recommend. I always like upgrading my guns. Whether it's buffer and spring, extractors, ejectors, triggers etc. What can you recommend to make a cheaper 1911 run like a kimber with dropping top dollar on a kimber or wilson. Really appreciate the feedback!

If it runs 100% reliably and you like the sights, then your work is done. If it doesn't fit right, maybe a different mainspring housing (arched, flat) or grip panels.

If the trigger needs work, have a professional do it. This is one area where expertise really counts, and with 1911's "drop in" is a sales phrase, not a reality.

Sights, trigger, grip, reliability.

Good, fun thread. Since it kinda has some 1911 p o r n I thought I'd throw in a little p o r n of my own and two cents with a word of caution.

Caution, 1911's can and will multiply. They're a lot like potato chips. You can't eat, or in this case, have only one.

20140127_140931_zps703809ce.jpg
Starting with the blued Kimber in the upper left and going clockwise, it has a polished feed ramp, trigger job, 10-8 sights. It has sent a lot of rounds down range, north of 20k. On it's 3rd set of springs, and still running good.

The next is an Ed Brown Kobra with VZ grips, followed by an Ed Brown Kobra Carry also with VZ grips. Both have Meprolight night sights. Whatever Ed Brown put on them in the factory.

Then a Colt Defender Lightweight with VZ grips, (beginning to see a pattern here?) and Trijicon night sights. Wish I had left the "stock" sights alone or at least had someone else install the Trijicons. If you're curious why, the story is here: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...y-rk-gunsmithing-of-nampa-id-not-good.157667/

The next is a Colt series 70 "100 Years of Service" with "stock" sights. I bought it used and it came with the dreaded idiot scratch for no extra charge. But thanks to PlayboyPenguin it's as good as new. The story on that is here: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/th...-scratches-from-a-firearm.58558/#post-1173600

Then finally, a Colt series 80 Rail Gun with VZ grips. Probably the best shooter out of the whole bunch, which is mildly surprising given it is a series 80. But it has had a "trigger job", polished feed ramp and a Smith and Alexander mag guide. The mag well makes fast magazine changes even faster. However it is terrible for daily carry though.

I've posted this pic on this forum before, but decided to say "what the hell", this illustrates the point of 1911's dangerous propensity to multiply. Besides, who gets tired of looking at 1911's?

Back to the subject at hand. Austen, just shoot the damned thing. Have fun and shoot the hell out of it just the way it the way it is. Run it hard. Ammo and practice will give you the most "bang" for your buck. (Yes, pun intended.) Don't spend your money on anything else until you have quite a few rounds though it. I know I wished I had left the sights alone on the Defender I mentioned above. I could have reloaded a hell of a lotta ammo for the money I WASTED trying to "improve" the sights. In all likelihood you will find "upgrades" and "modifications" just aren't needed (or wanted) , that you like the gun the way it is. The KISS principle applies here. Keep it as simple as possible. As Doc just pointed out:
If it runs 100% reliably and you like the sights, then your work is done. .........
Sights, trigger, grip, reliability.

Except I'd respectfully disagree with him on one point. Reliability above all else and the only way to find out if it is reliable is by shooting it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top