JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How's that different from anyone with a running 4 wheel vehicle after SHTF? ;)

Besides, in urban areas (like Portland and Eugene); bicycles and carts loaded with garbage bags full of stuff are already everywhere, and I honestly don't know how much stealing/targeting goes on between homeless people for each others stuff?
Can you stop a truck or car by running out and knocking it over or clothes-lining the rider with a bat/stick/whatever?

Back when I was 17, a guy tried to stop my car by pointing a gun at me. I responded by pointing the car at him. He jumped out of the way. Try doing that with a bicycle, or even a motorcycle - the results probably won't be as satisfactory.

I've had dogs try to chase me on bicycles and motorcycles - it was risky to me. With a 4 wheeled vehicle, it is risky to the dog.

Now if guns are involved, that is a different matter - but still, a 4 wheeled vehicle is more stable and more protective than any two wheeled vehicle.

Not saying that one should not have/use a bicycle or motorcycle, but they are a secondary alternative, not a primary mode of transport - IMO/IME.

Run out and stab tires with ice pick. Stab radiator. Get under and slice stuff like brake lines and wiring. Set up obstacles in the way, like those concrete barriers and debris. People seem more willing to wreck their cars than to hit the cute animals

@CamoDeafie I like your optimism, and that is possible. Most estimates however show 25% of people dead in the US in that 90 day timeframe given a full grid shutdown. Martial Law and containment will prevent the vast majority from coming together in a positive way (just IMO). Gov't has 'warned' it is coming many times. They will need some lifechanging event to usher in the Great Reset and that would do it.

Think happy thoughts!

@CamoDeafie I like your optimism, and that is possible. Most estimates however show 25% of people dead in the US in that 90 day timeframe given a full grid shutdown. Martial Law and containment will prevent the vast majority from coming together in a positive way (just IMO). Gov't has 'warned' it is coming many times. They will need some lifechanging event to usher in the Great Reset and that would do it.

Think happy thoughts!
25 % of 350 million plus is still a big number. Granted, more than 50% of 350 million live in urban centers so maybe that's where the majority will be culled. But there's still the matter of roughly 175 million spread out in the rural areas ;)

Edit. There's only ~1.2 million active duty military personnel spread out between all the armed services, the vast vast majority being support/logistics/clerks, and then just for Oregon, only 490something State jackbooted troopers.. to say nothing of how many Sheriff Deputies and local LE...martial law would be very difficult to administer and succeed unless they can get the full backing of local LEOs

Run out and stab tires with ice pick. Stab radiator. Get under and slice stuff like brake lines and wiring.
Only possible if the vehicle is stationary - I wouldn't try either if it was moving.

BTW - had a guy in the CG who tried to kill a BMC by cutting his brake lines - I forget why - but he got caught and court martialed. Really stupid move.

Set up obstacles in the way, like those concrete barriers and debris. People seem more willing to wreck their cars than to hit the cute animals
Yes there are ways to slow down or even stop a 4 wheel vehicle, but it is a lot harder to do - especially if you do not have a firearm - even with a firearm it is an iffy proposition.

I'd wager most drivers don't know how to deal with just driving through ambushes and barricades/blocked routes . And that's assuming roads would be passable for most (not likely IMO)
fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

realistically, a SUV would be a better platform for stealth camping/overland/survival/prep vehicle than a normal minivan... maybe not as good as a standard 4x4 diesel truck; but somewhat less conspicious?

GMC Suburban overland campersView attachment 1883414View attachment 1883415View attachment 1883416

Jeep Cherokee, old typesView attachment 1883418View attachment 1883419 View attachment 1883417
For a single person, maybe - but I already have the flatbed truck - what I need now is the habitat to put on it.

I do put GHB supplies in my daily driver SUV and I have slept several times in the back of a IH Scout and a Datsun PU with a canopy on it (I had a platform "bed" in it that consisted just of some 2x10s and plywood). I have enough stuff to sleep/survive in my X1 for a few days if I had to.

For a single person, maybe - but I already have the flatbed truck - what I need now is the habitat to put on it.

I do put GHB supplies in my daily driver SUV and I have slept several times in the back of a IH Scout and a Datsun PU with a canopy on it (I had a platform "bed" in it that consisted just of some 2x10s and plywood). I have enough stuff to sleep/survive in my X1 for a few days if I had to.
Right, this is more for those who don't already have trucks

Yes - that is the shelter I have been looking for - but locally, not halfway across the US, and not damaged.

The ones that are local are the S-250 shelters which are about half the size, but a bit large for my Toyota PU.

The S-280 is a good fit for my 8'x12' flatbed truck. That or an appropriate sized U-Haul/et. al. box truck box - although the truck box would not be as sturdy as the military shelters and are usually not insulated.

I considered shipping containers, but they are way too heavy for my truck. They would work well on a military 2.5 or 5 ton truck though.

Yes - that is the shelter I have been looking for - but locally, not halfway across the US, and not damaged.

The ones that are local are the S-250 shelters which are about half the size, but a bit large for my Toyota PU.

The S-280 is a good fit for my 8'x12' flatbed truck. That or an appropriate sized U-Haul/et. al. box truck box - although the truck box would not be as sturdy as the military shelters and are usually not insulated.

I considered shipping containers, but they are way too heavy for my truck. They would work well on a military 2.5 or 5 ton truck though.
The boxes used on box vans/trucks, I want to say that they're usually aluminum framed with either composite (plastic/fiberglass) or light wood panels?

Edit, looks like the panels are usually foam cored sandwich or fiberglass honeycomb, if not aluminum sheets. The framing is either steel mini-studs or aluminum studs, very old ones may be wood but thats been a long time ago since that construction. I'm finding notes that these are not really load bearing framing and doesn't really support weight hanging off them.

Last Edited:
The boxes used on box vans/trucks, I want to say that they're usually aluminum framed with either composite (plastic/fiberglass) or light wood panels?

Edit, looks like the panels are usually foam cored sandwich or fiberglass honeycomb, if not aluminum sheets. The framing is either steel mini-studs or aluminum studs, very old ones may be wood but thats been a long time ago since that construction. I'm finding notes that these are not really load bearing framing and doesn't really support weight hanging off them.
Yup - a lot of them are very lightweight, not really made for rough usage. Could probably be reinforced.

I do NOT want anything with wood in them (might settle for a wood table top), especially as a structural member. I've seen too many RVs/campers/trailers with wood that got moldy and/or fell apart after water damage. In the Pacific NorthWet, everything gets wet and moldy.

The problem with anything that appears to be a nice SHTF vehicle when/if SHTF happens in our lifetimes is you become an instant target. People with $150k-$200k fully decked out Sprinter vans will have them taken away in a day or two.

BIG fan of convert living space vans/trucks that just look like an old commercial truck on the outside. Even put some fake company name on it. Ford Eseries box vans or a Van with a ladder on top and nothing on the outside that says 'come steal this, lots of good stuff inside.'

Bottom line is if you stick out, you are done. Especially if the grid is gone and you are tooling round with 1000w of Solar on the roof and taking a nice shower. Bang.

I don't know what the car fixation is about.

You better get in your car early in an SHTF, get to where you're going, and stay there. Driving around makes you a target and vulnerable, like ringing the dinner bell for what you have, fuel, food, or just plain old transportation.

A rifle round through a car door is messy

You better get in your car early in an SHTF, get to where you're going, and stay there. Driving around makes you a target and vulnerable, like ringing the dinner bell for what you have, fuel, food, or just plain old transportation.

'Murica :rolleyes:

Simplified, any and everyone on wheels, regardless of how many wheels.. if they don't look like homeless bums (clean clothes, clean skin, has decent looking gear and/or vehicles, clearly has supplies and food) .. are targets

I live at my BOL, and as it is now, I only go into town, on average, about twice a month, sometimes less. Which is why I am not too concerned about fuel; even if I go into town once a month, I have enough treated fuel stored to last for years.

My immediate vehicle usage - if SHTF - would be to transport my kids and their stuff from their house (15 miles away), to my house.

My main concern I have is if we have the "big one" (Cascadian earthquake) and the bridges or the roads are impassable even with a 4x4. The two bridges between us are supposed to be able to withstand a severe earthquake - but who knows for sure?

Also, my SIL works in Portland, almost all the way north to the Columbia river. So if he is at work when the earthquake hits (50/50 chance?), then it will be an ordeal for him to get home. I've convinced my kids to have a GHB in their car, but I am not sure how diligent they are about keeping it there and supplied appropriately. OTOH, my daughter works from home, so the chance that she is there if an earthquake hits is 95+%.

What I am looking for is something to convert my truck to an RV for travel. Also for my pickup to flat tow and keep a dirt bike inside of a canopy over the bed, out of sight and I would flat tow behind my truck. Both vehicles would do double duty as a SHTF vehicle.

In the case of a SHTF event, I am mostly okay with what I have now - but it would be nice to have the option of a habitat on both the truck and the pickup.

In general, I'd be more nervous with 4 armed people on foot than 4 armed people in a car.

In most cases, I'll hear the car coming often before they see me and take avoidance & concealment.

4 armed people in a car coming under fire is a mess not good odds

In general, I'd be more nervous with 4 armed people on foot than 4 armed people in a car.

In most cases, I'll hear the car coming often before they see me and take avoidance & concealment.

4 armed people in a car coming under fire is a mess not good odds
My issue is I am not going far on foot - not even on my best day. On my worst days, I am lucky if I can get up our private road to the public road - about a quarter mile uphill.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top