JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I made two purchases with NWFA members yesterday and while out I stopped by OC Fisherman's, Portland Sportsman's and Cabela's. They all had lot's of ammo on the shelves. Online sources of ammo are plentiful. Prices are disappointing but it is what it is. No primers at any of the stores.

He did that.

My daughter bought her 5-box limit from Sportsmans in Bend yesterday for $17ish each….Blazer Brass 115gr. She said they had a ton of it available.

When the shelves sit full, and there is no limit, price will of course come down. Now it will not likely drop to pre lets go Brandon price for a good while as the cost of the materials to make it have gone to all time highs sadly.

I agree that I won't likely ever see $5 a box again:(. But if what I'm seeing around town is an indication of what's to come, removing limits won't fix things. I go to shops that had limits on ammo and than removed them cause things got better and now they have next to nothing left. I watched two guys buy several cases just cause they were worried that it was going to run out(there was 2 pallets of ammo on the sales floor). I've meet guys that bought ammo by the case when limits were removed just to resale it all. Between panic buyers and gougers, things aren't going to get better till both those things stop. Hell I've seen stores just last week that went from full ammo shelves to almost nothing left after removing limits. If that keeps up all I see happening is the prices going back up again, hell 223 and 5.56 are starting to reach a f-ing $1 a round again for basic target ammo.

I agree that I won't likely ever see $5 a box again:(. But if what I'm seeing around town is an indication of what's to come, removing limits won't fix things. I go to shops that had limits on ammo and than removed them cause things got better and now they have next to nothing left. I watched two guys buy several cases just cause they were worried that it was going to run out(there was 2 pallets of ammo on the sales floor). I've meet guys that bought ammo by the case when limits were removed just to resale it all. Between panic buyers and gougers, things aren't going to get better till both those things stop. Hell I've seen stores just last week that went from full ammo shelves to almost nothing left after removing limits. If that keeps up all I see happening is the prices going back up again, hell 223 and 5.56 are starting to reach a f-ing $1 a round again for basic target ammo.
That means its still being bought faster than they can make it. Until that stops price will never go to the "normal low" its capable of. Everyone has to remember that this panic, just like everyone before it was preceded by stocks of the stuff NO ONE WANTED. It was not too long ago Midway was offering to eat the HazMat fee if you bought primers from them. No one wanted them. Until another panic hit, and here we go again. Rinse and repeat. I always feel bad for newbies who take up shooting during one of these panics. Most of the unhappy campers though have lived through at least a couple of these if not more. :s0092:

It's weird that I didn't think twice about paying $300 for a box of 1000.

Just felt good hitting the range without a care, and still having at stock pile saved.

That means its still being bought faster than they can make it. Until that stops price will never go to the "normal low" its capable of. Everyone has to remember that this panic, just like everyone before it was preceded by stocks of the stuff NO ONE WANTED. It was not too long ago Midway was offering to eat the HazMat fee if you bought primers from them. No one wanted them. Until another panic hit, and here we go again. Rinse and repeat. I always feel bad for newbies who take up shooting during one of these panics. Most of the unhappy campers though have lived through at least a couple of these if not more. :s0092:
The problem is the new people like me, say it gets down to $14 per box of 9 (never going to happen) but it would sell incredibly fast, I need none but would likely buy a whole lot.

The problem is the new people like me, say it gets down to $14 per box of 9 (never going to happen) but it would sell incredibly fast, I need none but would likely buy a whole lot.
Before people started panic buying again I was starting to see 9mm for $12-14 a box. I was happy cause all of the prices were coming back down, than out of the blue everything starts disappearing again and prices went back up. Hell 223/5.56 was almost down to $8 a box and now people panicked again and now most of it is back up to $16-19 a box.

Last Edited:
As a general rule, prices always go up fast and come back down slowly.

Now on top of the political changes of the past few years, manufacturers are now dealing with rampant inflation. We have also lost almost one billion rounds of Russian produced ammo that was available to US shooters. Loss of the Russian ammo will have a price impact on ammo.

As ammo prices go down, gun owners will be shooting more. This will be a restraint as to how quickly ammo prices decline.

I seriously doubt we will see ammo as cheap as it was a few years ago.

There is lots of ammo being listed in the classfieds that appears is going unsold. Current listings are about 689 pages long. Many are showing no replies.

Prices to high? Everybody got their fill? Rather buy it at a retail or online store? Maybe the shortage is over or buyers have been tapped out?

Have you been making offers on ammo deals? If so what percentage less than asking price?

I am thinking about making a few offers that are significantly lower than asking price and seeing if anything sticks.

I've had to raise my ammo prices because my wholesale costs went up. I'm not being told that those costs are going back down. I think those now days "cheaper prices" are just market adjustments and somewhere between the highs and lows will be the new standard pricing, but they won't be as they were a couple of years ago.

There is lots of ammo being listed in the classfieds that appears is going unsold. Current listings are about 689 pages long. Many are showing no replies.

Prices to high? Everybody got their fill? Rather buy it at a retail or online store? Maybe the shortage is over or buyers have been tapped out?

Have you been making offers on ammo deals? If so what percentage less than asking price?

I am thinking about making a few offers that are significantly lower than asking price and seeing if anything sticks.
I don't generally buy ammo or components through the classifieds. I mean, If I happened across a screaming deal, maybe, but I'd probably just be suspicious if it seemed too good. It's always a bit of a risk when you don't know the person, and my time is pretty valuable to me, vs. driving out of town to meet up with someone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top