JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good reason to keep firearm limitations in check: Civilian able to come to the aid of a down officer.

I saw an interesting story on Fox12 (KATU) this morning:

Note: The news on TV added a couple interesting details that I don't see in this article:

<broken link removed>

I wonder if they removed these details from the written article (maybe because they were inaccurate or because they don't want to share the info... When I first searched for this article it said the page was not found and might be being updated. Maybe info was deleted?). In the news cast, they mentioned that they guy who saved the officer was previously prohibited from owning a gun due to a felony charge, but had petitioned a judge and had his 2nd Amendment rights restored.

I don't know if maybe they were confused and it was actually the assailant that had a felony conviction or if it they thought that "the idea of an ex-felon, with a legal right to carry, saves an officers life using a gun" might be to hard to take for the average Oregon viewer ; - ) , but I don't think I saw that info in any of the written articles I read.

Anyway, it was an interesting story, and I read a few article about it. I didn't seem like any one article painted the full picture of what happened, so here's a couple others I read too:

Driver who shot at Arizona officer was in US illegally, investigators say

'Humble, spiritual' armed motorist saved trooper from attack on Arizona highway

Passing motorist shoots, kills gunman who ambushed Arizona trooper

Here's a short summary for those who don't like to spend much time reading:
  • Roll-Over accident
  • Officer stops, start placing safety cones to warn/redirect traffic around it
  • Officer is shot in the shoulder by driver of rolled over car (Illegal immigrant, IIRC) for no apparent reason
  • Assailant start smashing officers head against the ground
  • Passerby stop, gets out of his car, hears officer calling for help, goes back to car for 9mm
  • Commands assailant to stop attacking officer, but he doesn't
  • Passerby shoots assailant twice, and moves to help officer and starts providing first aid
  • Assailant gets back up and tries to attack again, and is shot in the head, ending the fight
  • Someone (I wasn't sure who, either another passerby or maybe the same guy) gets on the police radio and calls for help.
  • Officer alive and recovering
  • As far as I can tell, no hint of any legal concerns against the good Samaritan passerby.

Last Edited:
Thanks to whoever moved my post above to this thread. :) I had seen this thread before, but couldn't remember where it was, so I posted where I thought it might fit best, but this is a better spot. Thanks. :)

In the news cast, they mentioned that they guy who saved the officer was previously prohibited from owning a gun due to a felony conviction, but had petitioned a judge and had his 2nd Amendment rights restored.

That was inaccurate. He was charged with a felony, but the charges were changed.
He still had to petition to have his rights restored, and they were.

Good Guy with a Gun

One of my brothers pled guilty to a misdemeanor but later found out his 2A rights were gone because he was originally charged with a felony. I didn't know they could do that. He took it all the way to the Asst head of the BATF and was still denied. Won't take it to a judge because of the $$ involved.

Howard1955 Thanks for posting that.
He seems well-composed for the circumstances. Good for him.
Kudos to the Arizona DPS for supporting him.
I can't recall any other time that someone who has done a similar thing has been this well treated. Even by the press apparently.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top