JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Still, there needs to be more discussion on what "really" is the problem with Tul.
If it's "bad" or "crap", pistol, caliber, and malfunction should be listed. The other thread doesn't go too much further than what's being discussed here.

I suppose a group event shooting tul with multiple weapons and calibers is in order? :D

Agreed. Unfortunally when I posted that thread I had some other things going on and was not able to keep the thread going. However, I like where this thread is going now.

So I'm guessing it would be better to run it through the ak's and not the ar's? Or, in the ops case, cheaper guns?

The HK/PTR 91 is designed to run filthy. I wouldn't mind shooting that stuff, what's stopping me is the smell and the fact that I don't have time to clean my guns after every outing and I don't want my house to smell like cat piss.

Go ahead and run it through your AR's if you have time for cleaning, it's cheap and reliable ammo, but a little underpowered, so it might not cycle reliably in a system tuned for full strength 5.56 NATO (i.e. KAC SR-15 or a SPR setup with a rifle length gas tube with a <20 inch barrel).

Think of ammo and maintenance like this; how much $$$ do you save shooting the cheep stuff? One of the old arguments about not shooting steel cased ammo in AR's is it can wear/break extractors. An extractor is $5 say you are saving even $50/case on ammo how many extractors can you buy? On top of that do you really think you are going to break an extractor every 100rds?

A while back a guy was looking for ammo for his M14 Socom. Brass case stuff he was looking at was just over $500/k vs steel stuff for about $300/k. He was worried about wearing his gun out or breaking parts. Well if he was to shoot 10k of ammo which should not be causing any major wear yet even if steel case wears faster at that point he would have saved $2000 or more then the price of a new gun................

I don't get it, do people expect their firearms to be cleaner after shooting them? yeah some ammo shoot cleaner and some don't.... big whoop. In this day and age, with the way ammo prices are I would shoot whatever I can get my hands on. I would not use TulAmmo or other cheap ammo for self defense but if that is all I had...... I would.
I have used some TulAmmo in a 1911 and in a S&W M&P45 and didn't have a single problem. Between my friend and I, we probably shot 100 rounds so meh :p

I don't get it, do people expect their firearms to be cleaner after shooting them? yeah some ammo shoot cleaner and some don't.... big whoop. In this day and age, with the way ammo prices are I would shoot whatever I can get my hands on. I would not use TulAmmo or other cheap ammo for self defense but if that is all I had...... I would.
I have used some TulAmmo in a 1911 and in a S&W M&P45 and didn't have a single problem. Between my friend and I, we probably shot 100 rounds so meh :p

If money is a real concern, I'd rather shoot gun show reloads (i.e. miwall or bvac) than russian steel case. You can even sell or reload the cases after you're done.

When I asked if it would be better to run through ak's and not ar's I was thinking of the closer tolerances and not the dirty factor. Closer tolerances + dirty ammo = more chance of a jam. Hence, why I said ak.

Dmancornell, thanks for the info from first hand experience.

Well if you have the equipment and time, it's a good idea but I don't have either so I have no problem using the steel case Russian stuff.

Gun show reloads are usually at the same price or a little cheaper than Russian steel case. Last time Miwall was in PDX I bought a bunch of 9mm reloads for $140/k, Wolf 9mm is $180/k from ammoman. 9mm cases sell for 2-3 cents each last time I checked.

Man....love all the input! I'm a newb to the board, and only been shooting (Hand guns) for 18 months or so. Never saw 22Many's thread or I would have moved that back up.

Being dense I 'spose I never noticed the Tul was steel cased untill I looked real close this morning. For some reason I've avoided anything but brass, in the Kimber 1911 and and 9s. I use what's on-sale/brass from Bi-Mart and Fishermans and save all the brass, mostly Blazer, Remington and some PMC in .45....Tell myself I might get in to re-loading at some point.

"Awful Smelling Black Tar Crap", "Dirty", "CAT PEE", hate the sound of that, sometimes it's tough to get into the cleaning part of shooting so if it's going to be even worse than it all ready is?!

One of the things that would really be a prob for me is fouling, that seems to cause the most work when I'm cleaning. I solvent the barrel, then brass brush after a bit, then patch 'till clean. When I look there's still some fouling in the barrel, usually just past the shell. IF cheap ammo made this worse that would be a big problem for me.

So, in some of the pistol manuals there are words to the effct that one should NOT use steel or aluminum cased ammo. As far as the Kimber goes I think I will not take a chance. I will i think go for $140.00/K for reload brass 9mm as that is what we are shooting the most at this time, I'll just keep the reload seperate from the once fired I'm saving....For when I start reloading?

Great discussion guys, thanks all.

Mike

I have talked to a few people at the range about Tula ammo. There have been mixed reports of it's accuracy & dependability. My opinion is "if it works for you, & your happy with it's performance, than run it"! Ammo is no different than anything ells, there is going to be mixed opinions! If your going to use factory ammo, buy a box or two of a large variety of brands & bullet weights. Every firearm is different! What works well in one gun, may not work well in another!!!!!!

My cheep .45 target load is a Lee 200 grain LSWC with red dot powder.. it's dirty but cheep.. I am willing to scrub my gun a little more to save some money. If Tula gives you a few FTF consider ir good for your stoppage training

Funny thing, or not funny actually. I was looking at some other caliber in once fired and after adding the shipping, I can buy new on sale or a 1000 at the gun show and save money! Who buys ammo online when you can buy it localy and support business in your community. I guess if you're out in the boonies and the local store is getting $20.00+ a box for 9mm, then yeah.

Been a good learning thread anyway, thanx.

Mike

I have talked to a few people at the range about Tula ammo. There have been mixed reports of it's accuracy & dependability. My opinion is "if it works for you, & your happy with it's performance, than run it"! Ammo is no different than anything ells, there is going to be mixed opinions! If your going to use factory ammo, buy a box or two of a large variety of brands & bullet weights. Every firearm is different! What works well in one gun, may not work well in another!!!!!!

Thos is kinda what I am thinking. I plan on picking up a box in each of my calibers (45acp, 40 s&w, 9mm, 5.56, and 7.62x39) and just see what happens.

And yes, this thread has been very informative.

Tula didn't function well for me, I know this because I bought & tried some! I won't buy any more, but I don't feel I wasted any money giving it a try. You don't know till you try.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top