JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope this is OK in this forum, it gets more trafic.

What's the consesus on Russian FMJ .45 ACP TulAmmo? They've got, what seems like, a real good deal at Cheaper than dirt. Doesn't say if its new or not, or I'm dense and missing it. Seems too good to be true at $125 and change + S&H for 450 rounds.

Mike

Hope this is OK in this forum, it gets more trafic.

What's the consesus on Russian FMJ .45 ACP TulAmmo? They've got, what seems like, a real good deal at Cheaper than dirt. Doesn't say if its new or not, or I'm dense and missing it. Seems too good to be true at $125 and change + S&H for 450 rounds.

Mike

It's cheap for a reason. Most of the eastern european ammo is dirty.

I posted a similar post a couple months back trying to get feedback on the Tula ammo also. The responses were about the same as this thread, dirty ammo, people saying don't use it but couldn't answer why. But not one problem was said about the ammo other than it is dirty. I haven't bought any yet but at the price the op said it was selling for, it would be great training ammo.

I say spend the $125 and let us know how it is. For that price, I might even do the same!

I love these threads.

Some how it always ends up being good in one gun but not in others, how is that possible?

"Use at your own risk" meaning this stuff could do something bad...... What company is going to sell dangerous ammo in the US? Can you even imagine the liability of that? Last time I checked most places want to stay in business and keep making money.

The answer it is cheep imported ammo. It is dirty. It may or may not be as accurate as other bulk ammo. Great if you are just plinking away but if you are looking at super accurate then you need to be looking at premium loadings.

I love these threads.

Some how it always ends up being good in one gun but not in others, how is that possible?

"Use at your own risk" meaning this stuff could do something bad...... What company is going to sell dangerous ammo in the US? Can you even imagine the liability of that? Last time I checked most places want to stay in business and keep making money.

The answer it is cheep imported ammo. It is dirty. It may or may not be as accurate as other bulk ammo. Great if you are just plinking away but if you are looking at super accurate then you need to be looking at premium loadings.

One quick question: do you own a <broken link removed>

You asked,
"Some how it always ends up being good in one gun but not in others, how is that possible?"

But you didn't answer it, AFAIK.
So, I figured you were aware of, or own a, PTR, since they have problems with certain types of ammo. ;)
Some guns run okay dirty, others don't. Some guns run well or alright dry. YMMV

You asked,

So, I figured you were aware of, or own a, PTR, since they have problems with certain types of ammo. ;)

The issue was safety. It does not say it is not safe to use in that gun. Things like "I will shoot it in gun A, but would never dream of shooting it in gun B". This is usually followed up by some excuse why it is ok.

Now on to your link that was ONE persons experience with ONE gun, not really enough for a practical evaluation. Yes there are some guns that require specific ammo or specific ammo specs like bullet or shot weight. This is not the same as A particular gun not functioning with A particular ammo.

You asked,

Since you bring up the PTR, the problem is caused by out-of-spec fluting in a half-assed attempt to increase accuracy (as if the original HK G3 wasn't one of the most accurate battle rifles).

I've put over 1k rounds including smelly Silver Bear, tar-sealed milsurp and FGMM out of my PTR-91 GI without any issues.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top