JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good article but how does one define having enough ammo. Personally, I' d like to have 1 more 30 round mag full after the last zombie's head goes kersplat! I think the shortage is because there are many more people buying firearms and hence ammo that have never before because of the anti-gunners all out assault on the 2nd Amendment. And finally the hoarders are also contributing.

Brutus Out

O bummer could not write a more BS piece even with Holden and Michelle looking over his shoulder.
Anyone been checking on all government agencies stockpiling. O well if the sheeple will believe this crap they'll believe anything.

O bummer could not write a more BS piece even with Holden and Michelle looking over his shoulder.
Anyone been checking on all government agencies stockpiling. O well if the sheeple will believe this crap they'll believe anything.

Stockpiling .22lr, and .32 ACP, and .44 magnum? If the shortage was just on 5.56 and 9mm that might be believable, but every caliber is in short supply.

.06, 30-30, and others I've seen in plentiful supply. I've also not had as much trouble getting 7.62x39 as I did in Jan/Feb. Prices are almost back to where they used to be.

The article hits on some important points, but tails off at the end. Thanks for posting it, though.

From what I have read, the ammo factories have production runs just like the gun manufacturers do. They tool up to produce say 50 million rounds of 9mm and when that is done they go on to the next caliber. The problem is government contracts come first so if they have a order for 500 million rounds of 9mm they can not make .22 or any other caliber until the run is done. This generally works out ok, but in times like now with everyone and their buying everything in sight plus the very large government contracts the system can't handle the extra strain and breaks down. I would dare say that if people started buying 10 times as much food as they usually do, there would be a lot of empty shelves at the supermarket.

I am just confused how the prepared, "hoarders", are responsible for the shortage as the article states. To me it seems more like the unprepared people should be blamed if we are going to play a blame game.

I know I am not the cause of ANY of this since I have not bought ammo in over a year because i am prepared. IF I had not stocked up in the fat times then I would have become part of the problem.

I am just confused how the prepared, "hoarders", are responsible for the shortage as the article states. To me it seems more like the unprepared people should be blamed if we are going to play a blame game.

I know I am not the cause of ANY of this since I have not bought ammo in over a year because i am prepared. IF I had not stocked up in the fat times then I would have become part of the problem.

^^^THIS^^^

After the '08 election and what went on, I swore "never again". Over the course of the last 4-5 years I have bought "materiale" bit by bit, consistently (even when it hurt) to the point that I could use a seperate Fatboy-64 gunsafe just to store it.

Since Sandy Hook, I have only bought what I needed (when I could find it) for hunting, the occassional range trip, or a when the occassional sweet "bulk purchase" crosses my path... then of course stored up what I didn't use. ;)

Like the previous two posters, I also stocked up over the past 4 years or so on ammo and components. I simply bought whatever I thought I might need ammo and reloading component-wise. As for my .22 lr stash, that was built up over the past 20 years or more. I just always bought some when it was on sale, so I still have a decent supply even after giving away a few bricks to needy friends and relatives. But don't call me a hoarder, just far sighted who saw the handwriting on the wall after the 2008 election and made sure I was prepared for the worst case scenario: the reelection of BHO.

I have only bought what I could afford which hasn't been much. At least I had some 22 and will continue to buy longs for my single six to plink and train the spouse with. They might even work single shot in my 581 as well. I have seen more in other cals increase lately in my shopping trips. Lets just hope the anti-guns shut the F up and get side tracked. I know, that's a leap but we all need dreams.

Brutus out

^^^THIS^^^

After the '08 election and what went on, I swore "never again". Over the course of the last 4-5 years I have bought "materiale" bit by bit, consistently (even when it hurt) to the point that I could use a seperate Fatboy-64 gunsafe just to store it.

Since Sandy Hook, I have only bought what I needed (when I could find it) for hunting, the occassional range trip, or a when the occassional sweet "bulk purchase" crosses my path... then of course stored up what I didn't use. ;)

I did EXACTLY what you described as well. Once bitten, twice shy.

You called it brother! I have bought exactly one case of .45 ACP HP's and a couple of boxes of .22LR sub-sonic since Newtown and those were at an attractive price. Shoot less, but I have ammo for a very long time, because I have had ammo for a very long time!

The article does also overlook (somewhat) the people who got into purchasing guns and ammo due to Twinkie Fever. Something might go away, so they create an artificial demand. It's not really hoarding as much as it's quadrupling the market (probably conservative on that number, too.)

Something I'm sure the administration was counting on.

Walked into Cabela's today. Plenty of .300 Win Mag, .30-06 and .25-06. Two boxes of CB caps and a bunch of 7.62x39mm of which I have s-loads of anyway.

OK, I will admit it - it is my fault. I always buy in huge quantities. It saves me on shipping costs.
Oh wait, that was the last shortage I was responsible for. I have not bought anything since before the last election because all the outdoor spots that I knew about have been closed down, and so I have no place to expend my ammo (that's closer than an hour drive).
It is much easier on the budget but I do miss putting holes in the paper.

Agreed, fortunately, all of the NW Firearms folks are not part of the problem as they stocked up.

That's a lot of digging

digdug.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top