JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IIRC, something similar was proposed via the VA?

On the one hand, as pointed out, not being able to manage one's finances does not make a person dangerous or incapable of safely owning and shooting firearms.

OTOH, I have an ex, who happens to be on SSI disability, who has been in and out of trouble (and at least once, jail) with the law due to criminal misdemeanors, who is a prescription drug abuser, who has repeatedly threatened suicide (just to get attention - she is too selfish to actually do it) who I am very glad has no firearms.

Removing a Constitutional Right should require a full court hearing that allows the defendant to exercise all his/her Constitutional Rights in the proceeding. The ruling should require proof equalling that of a criminal proceeding, i.e. "beyond a shadow of a doubt", and the option of a trial by jury of peers.

Getting a declaration of incompetence, even just for financial things, is not very easy at all. Trust me, I know - it would make my children's life a lot easier if my children could accomplish that for my ex. Easier yet if they could get her to take her proper meds and have someone look in on her weekly.

It is real, very real. It happened to my brother by way of a BGC and a couple of years ago he had medical problems and had to have his affairs handled by his daughters due to being medically "out of it" for a few months. There are lots of ways to put communism in place and the current administration is very good at it. Be wary, very wary.

Weekend revelations raise alarms about privacy, gun rights

Yesterday's revelation by the Los Angeles Times that the Obama administration is "pushing to ban Social Security beneficiaries from owning guns if they lack the mental capacity to manage their own affairs" is raising alarms among Second Amendment activists.

<broken link removed>

I think we should all publicly tie this with the right to vote. The far left loves this type of constituency, drive them to the polls and "help" fill out their ballots. The question should be posed, " If we are willing to strip an entire group of people's constitutional right to bear arms based on an agencies non adjudicated declaration of incompetence, then surely this same group must be too incompetent to vote." Any politician who supports this illegal idea must also logically agree that anyone so incompetent must not vote, and if one constitutional right can be stripped without due process, surely all can be so taken.
No left wing anti gun politician wants to be seen as taking the sacred right to vote away from anyone with even the most fragile claim to that right.

It's about time they did something about this. There have been sooooo many mass murders committed by seniors with guns lately. If it saves just one life!:rolleyes:
<sarcasm off>

It's about time they did something about this. There have been sooooo many mass murders committed by seniors with guns lately. If it saves just one life!:rolleyes:
<sarcasm off>

Sarcasm??!! I almost got run over at Safeway yesterday by a senior woman who seemed to not see me before or after she almost took me out. Just threw it in reverse and gassed that boat. She was on a mission to kill!

Sarcasm??!! I almost got run over at Safeway yesterday by a senior woman who seemed to not see me before or after she almost took me out. Just threw it in reverse and gassed that boat. She was on a mission to kill!

Obviously she was a racoon lover and was seeking revenge:D...

But you see that old woman on SS could be declared a danger and her only defense taken from her. Realize everyone's medical records have been sent to the government under obamacare. There are people going through those records looking for reasons to take away your guns.

But you see that old woman on SS could be declared a danger and her only defense taken from her. Realize everyone's medical records have been sent to the government under obamacare. There are people going through those records looking for reasons to take away your guns.

It really depends on what is specifically written in the Law. For instance my girlfriends mom collects social security for her Alzheimer's. She needs to be taken care of and monitored almost 24/7. She will turn on a stove walk into another room and forget it's even on. She almost burnt down the house. She is deemed mentally incompetent but she can legally buy a firearm. There is NO REASON why she she be able to buy a firearm or even drive a car.

Issues should be handled on a case by case basis. Mental incompetency has always handled by the courts. In general a lot of evidence has to be handed to a Judge before they even consider entertaining the idea of taking someones rights away. This of course is handled specifically by each State differently.

I've work with a fellow veteran who suffers from TBI and massive depression. He's been clinically diagnosed with violent mental problems. This includes random fits of rage. He beat his ex girlfriends dog and beat her to an inch of her life. He collects SSI and there is no way that he should have a firearm until he's completed treatment. Myself and 2 other veterans tried to tackle subdue him after he beat an entire house in with a baseball bat for 30 minutes after he found out his girlfriend wanted to leave him.

If you collect social security for above reasons like these, I see no specific problems with restricting gun access to these individuals. The state has already deemed them unfit this is simply creating a link.

In general courts just don't randomly decide to deem people unfit on a regular basis. They are incredibly hard to prove. BUT if you collect social security and fall under the categories for being mentally unfit - that seems to fall inline with background checks not allowing people who are deemed mentally unwell.

IIRC, something similar was proposed via the VA?

On the one hand, as pointed out, not being able to manage one's finances does not make a person dangerous or incapable of safely owning and shooting firearms.

OTOH, I have an ex, who happens to be on SSI disability, who has been in and out of trouble (and at least once, jail) with the law due to criminal misdemeanors, who is a prescription drug abuser, who has repeatedly threatened suicide (just to get attention - she is too selfish to actually do it) who I am very glad has no firearms.

The VA has been doing it for years, and I recall a forum member here in Oregon writing about his experience. The SSI initiative is based on it due to its "sucksess" in disarming veterans. Unfortunately the much (not all) of the medical community has an arrogant God complex (I work with them every day) and has decreed that gun ownership is a health issue.

In an amazing coincidence many (OK, probably all) politicians also have an arrogant God complex and use this as a way to achieve their goals of making sure that We the People get to grovel at their anointed feet.

The VA has been doing it for years, and I recall a forum member here in Oregon writing about his experience. The SSI initiative is based on it due to its "sucksess" in disarming veterans. Unfortunately the much (not all) of the medical community has an arrogant God complex (I work with them every day) and has decreed that gun ownership is a health issue.

In an amazing coincidence many (OK, probably all) politicians also have an arrogant God complex and use this as a way to achieve their goals of making sure that We the People get to grovel at their anointed feet.

I agree but I also think there is a huge loophole in the number of people who are mentally unwell and should not have firearms. There are some interned mental patients in Oregon that can legally own a firearm (if they managed to escape custody) because of poor record systems. If people are collecting social security for reasons within the social security system like ... "Mentally incapable of taking care of themselves" I wouldn't be opposed to that preventing ownership of firearms. I watched my grandfather pull into my driveway with his e-brake screeching across the driveway at 91. He almost died because he thought laundry detergent was milk because he was clearly out of it.

As long as the law is clear and concise and also allows for due process I don't find this proposal damning. We haven't even seen the proposed bill yet so I'll suspend my judgement until there is an actual written bill. Anything opinions on this issue are just emotional knee jerk responses to a law we haven't even read yet.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews