JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I bought a new Glock G19 Gen 5 MOS in December. Heard all of the hoopla about the new "Marksman" barrel and wanted a CCW/GSSF gun.

Got it to the range and started with a bunch of factory stuff and it was noticeably more accurate than my old Gen 4 G19 FS that I was disappointed with and sold.

Seeking to try and reach the holy grail of 25yd groups; 1", I started working up loads for it. I had some leftover rounds from when I gave up on the Gen 4 and tried those.

Uh oh... Slide wouldn't go fully into battery with some of the loads. Weird. Cycled fine with the Gen 4 G19.

What I discovered is that Glock shortened the throat of the new barrels for some reason and now many people are having trouble.

For reloading, I use mainly RMR bullets, since they are decent and cheap and they are made nearby in Lewiston, ID. In fact, I shoot in the GSSF matches with the owner. Nice guy. I also use Hornady XTPs, since they can be bought at the local WalMart, and Speer Gold Dots, since they seem to perform very, very well in tests.

I was using the RMR 115gr RN bullet and just had to seat them a bit deeper than the recommended OAL to get them to barely plunk. No worries since I use them for matches in low power loads. Ended up with some very, very close to 1" groups using Power Pistol.

RMR just released a new bullet; the 115gr MMPR which is a jacketed hollow point and supposed to be a jack-of-all-trades bullet for 9mm. I ordered 250 of them and just got around to working up some loads tonight with them.

First did some match/plinking loads using 4.0gr of TiteGroup at the recommended OAL of 1.125"

Won't plunk in the new Glock... I have a ported Storm Lake Barrel that was giving me crappy groups, so I sent it to a gunsmith for some work and just got it back, hence the desire to work up some new loads and see how it does. \

Loads plunk perfectly in it...

I seated the bullet down to 1.115 and they still won't plunk in the new Glock.

Apparently, the bullet ogive is such that it doesn't play well with the shallow throat of the new Glock barrels.

I tried some Federal HST 150gr ammo with an OAL of 1.122 and it plunked fine.

So it's a combination of the new Glock throat and the new ogive of the RMR bullet.

Now I did have some other RMR bullets that I reloaded that also had problems, as did the Hornady XTPs when loaded to recommended OALs.

Disappointed that Glock perfection, isn't...

RMR bullets seated to recommended OAL of 1.125"...

5sne5MKYTCala48KCOsdDA.jpg

Seated to 1.115" next to same round in Storm Lake barrel...

wJSMbkkQRsGvtfwhCkoSsw.jpg

A guy awhile back was saying a certain Hornady defense ammo wasn't working in his Gen 5. This may have been why.

my cz p07 is like this and it is very accurate to say the least. i had to change my COAL.

Hmmm.....Change-the-COAL :s0153:......what a concept!

We have two pistols that needed shorter COLs. A Kimber Pro Aegis and a Tanfoglio Elite limited. Both using Montana Gold 9mm 115gr JHP.
Gotta do what ya' gotta do.

I'd add that I run slower HS-6 in the lower amounts to account for deeper seating of the projectile.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top